Ranga
    Ranga's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Opinions on books that offer AFL betting

I'm interested in betting more AFL this year.

What books have the most accurate odds?

I know Aussies love to bet for fun so there must be some books out there that are +EV for dogs. Or maybe there are enough sharps out there keeping lines accurate?? Is there an Aussie version of SBR odds somewhere?

I'd love to hear some opinions from Aussie punters.

Hareeba!
    Hareeba!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20525

Quote Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
    I'm interested in betting more AFL this year.

What books have the most accurate odds?

I know Aussies love to bet for fun so there must be some books out there that are +EV for dogs. Or maybe there are enough sharps out there keeping lines accurate?? Is there an Aussie version of SBR odds somewhere?

I'd love to hear some opinions from Aussie punters.
    All the Aussie books do good business on AFL. But I'm pretty sure they don't accept US customers.
    Pinnacle, Matchbook and Betfair are all worthwhile for those who can access them. The exchanges generally don't have a lot of liquidity in the regular season until closer to game time.
    I think the major CR books also offer AFL : 5Dimes, Bookmaker etc.
    One of the best if you trust a Vanuatu bookie is PuntingPal.com 1.95 lines and will take larger bets than Pinnacle on AFL.
    The best site I know of for odds comparison is sportspunter.com

Ranga
    Ranga's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

Hareeba, I've been a longtime reader of the forums and was mostly looking for your opinion on this. Thanks very much for your insight.

I'm now an Australian resident so I believe that sportbet, sportingbet, tomwaterhouse, unibet etc... will all take my action now. Is there much difference between them?

I will definitely check out puntingpal.com and sportspunter.com

Domestic
    Domestic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1756

As Hareeba said basically all of the Aus books have plenty of betting options on AFL games. I find the biggest discrepancy in lines to usually be when it comes to game/first half totals.
    I saw Pinnacle offer a total line on the AFL Grand final last year as well as on the first weekend of round 1 this season. Curiously I did not see totals offered the most recent weekend. Hopefully we see them return.

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranga View Post

I'm now an Australian resident so I believe that sportbet, sportingbet, tomwaterhouse, unibet etc... will all take my action now. Is there much difference between them?
    Sportsbet, Sportingbet/Centrebet, TomWaterhouse, Betstar, Bet365, Ladbrokes and Luxbet I would think are all much the same. They do offer fair odds and lines but all are cowards who will severely limit or ban you if you show any talent. I can't bet with any of them any more so just going from what I do recall and what others are saying.

TAB is probably worthwhile until they flag your account and all bets get referred to traders who limit your winnings to $100!

For me the only options for AFL are:
    Topsport - 1.92 lines and for up to $200 even money lines for the first 4 rounds of the season
    Palmerbet - similar and even money lines for up to $200 all season
    PuntingPal - 1.95 lines and the odd special double
    Tattsbet - shorter odds but sometimes better lines
    Pinnacle, Betfair and Matchbook
    I'd recommend all of these.

Good luck.

Domestic

Not to hijack the thread but Hareeba I was wondering how your experience at PuntingPal has been? I had literally never heard of them until today but on the surface it seems like it is worth having an account there?

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by Domestic View Post
    Not to hijack the thread but Hareeba I was wondering how your experience at PuntingPal has been? I had literally never heard of them until today but on the surface it seems like it is worth having an account there?
    Not been playing there long at all but so far everything is pretty positive, though haven't requested a withdrawal as yet.

Certainly I have reservations about a Vanuatu "regulated ?" operation but I've been given good reports from a couple of people I have good trust and faith in that they are ok. Not willing to leave any more funds than necessary there at this early stage.

Positives I like especially as I am limited or banned by all the major books:
    Early fixed odds for racing.
    Best of Best (BOB) for decent amounts on ALL metropolitan racing.
    Best tote for PLACE betting!
    Best lines (1.95) for the 3 footy codes of any bookie outside of Pinnacle and can get on for decent amounts.
    Excellent responsive service.
    Up to $1000 free bets on signup.
    Weekly promotional offerings.
    Last edited by Hareeba!; 03-25-14 at 03:24 AM.

antonyp22
    antonyp22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2528

Anyone know why Pinnacle were reluctant to put out totals for last week's matches?

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

Quote Originally Posted by antonyp22 View Post
    Anyone know why Pinnacle were reluctant to put out totals for last week's matches?
    probably not enough liquidity

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Hareeba is PuntingPal.com regulated??

jjgold

ID Requirement When opening an account with Puntingpal Pty Limited, all clients consent to have their identification details used to verify their identity. All clients must provide accurate identification details that will be matched against photo ID. To satisfy these requirements you must verify your identity within 90 days from the date of opening your account and before your first withdrawal: PuntingPal Pty Limited require at least one of the following to verify your identity; •A Primary Photographic Identification Document which shows current address (including change of address details if applicable) •A Current Passport or Photographic ID card from a government agency, along with a matching bill or statement to verify current address

jjgold

Welcome to Puntingpal.com Even though we are the newest bookies on the block you will not have a problem with using our service as we have been in the racing game for the last 50+ years. When placing a bet over the phone you will be speaking with like minded people who love their racing and sport, we will do our best to match any products the other bookies out there will offer you. We hope to be able to provide a new service to all of our customers that is unrivalled throughout the bookmaking fraternity. Clients are no longer just a number like they are with the corporate bookies. You are all our number one priority and we will strive to make your punting experience enjoyable. We offer a superior product on both racing and sports; For racing our standard product across all Metropolitan thoroughbreds is ‘BEST OF THE BEST’ giving you the best dividend of the three Australian totes or the official top fluctuation(win only). This product will be available online and over the phone up until the 1st official price call comes through from the track (15-20 mins before each race). For all Metro's and the majority of Country thoroughbreds we offer ‘Best of 3 + SP’ which gives you the best dividend of the three Australian totes or the official bookmaker starting price, for each way bets the place dividend will be paid at the best tote dividend. For Place Only betting on Metropolitan racing we offer ‘Best of 3 Totes’ and for Country racing we have ‘Best of 2 Totes’ which guarantees you the highest dividend of Victorian and NSW Tab’s. We will endeavour to have as many Fixed Price markets as possible but just remember, if another major Australian Bookmaker has a market we don’t have, just give us a call on 1300 PUNTING and we’ll match their price! Our standard product for Greyhound and Harness racing is ‘MIDDLE TOTE’ for both win and each way betting which guarantees a dividend equal to the second highest official dividend paid by the three Australian totes. Quinellas, Exactas, Trifectas, First Fours and Quaddies are available over the internet on all Australian racing covered by the Victorian TAB and the dividend paid will be equal to that declared by the Victorian TAB. PuntingPal will be super competitive with all of our Sports products from the best lines on the footy to Top 6 each way on selected sports and just like the racing, if another major Australian Bookmaker has a market that we don’t, just give us a call on 1300PUNTING and we’ll match it! We hope you love our professional service. Good Luck and Happy Punting Pal!

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Hareeba is PuntingPal.com regulated??
    Any financial related business who chooses to be regulated in Vanuatu = huge red flag.

Went through years of trying to recover 6 figures from an investment scheme and found out the hard way. Bloody tribal king's son had his fingers in my pie and it sounds like that is the case with quite a number of the dodgy operators there.

antonyp22

$1.95 lines are very attractive, how do their set lines compare with other major bookies? Much of a difference?

Domestic

Quote Originally Posted by Hareeba! View Post
    Not been playing there long at all but so far everything is pretty positive, though haven't requested a withdrawal as yet.

Certainly I have reservations about a Vanuatu "regulated ?" operation but I've been given good reports from a couple of people I have good trust and faith in that they are ok. Not willing to leave any more funds than necessary there at this early stage.

Positives I like especially as I am limited or banned by all the major books:
    Early fixed odds for racing.
    Best of Best (BOB) for decent amounts on ALL metropolitan racing.
    Best tote for PLACE betting!
    Best lines (1.95) for the 3 footy codes of any bookie outside of Pinnacle and can get on for decent amounts.
    Excellent responsive service.
    Up to $1000 free bets on signup.
    Weekly promotional offerings.
    Appreciate the response, hope your withdrawal goes smoothly. I think I will wait a little bit before I try them out.

Hareeba!

$1.95 lines are very attractive, how do their set lines compare with other major bookies? Much of a difference?
    Seem to be very comparable from my relatively brief experience.

Hareeba!

ID Requirement When opening an account with Puntingpal Pty Limited, all clients consent to have their identification details used to verify their identity. All clients must provide accurate identification details that will be matched against photo ID. To satisfy these requirements you must verify your identity within 90 days from the date of opening your account and before your first withdrawal: PuntingPal Pty Limited require at least one of the following to verify your identity; •A Primary Photographic Identification Document which shows current address (including change of address details if applicable) •A Current Passport or Photographic ID card from a government agency, along with a matching bill or statement to verify current address
    just standard stuff
    sent scan of passport and a utility bill - all done and verified in a couple of minutes

Hareeba!

And a further advantage is live online betting on AFL, NRL and S15 games

antonyp22

Betstar also offer $2 "power lines" on AFL, NRL and Super Rugby on Friday afternoons. Downside is they only take a maximum $100 bet at those odds…….

Hareeba!

Betstar also offer $2 "power lines" on AFL, NRL and Super Rugby on Friday afternoons. Downside is they only take a maximum $100 bet at those odds…….
    yeah, that used to be $500 a few years back but they reduced it to $200 and now it's only $100?
    I wouldn't know coz the bastards haven't let me bet them at all since 2 years ago
    Same with Sportsbetting.com.au

PalmerBet offers them up to $200 for AFL and NRL
    Topsport for up to $200 for AFL, NRL and S15 but only first 4 rounds of the season I think.

antonyp22

yeah, that used to be $500 a few years back but they reduced it to $200 and now it's only $100?
    I wouldn't know coz the bastards haven't let me bet them at all since 2 years ago
    Same with Sportsbetting.com.au

PalmerBet offers them up to $200 for AFL and NRL
    Topsport for up to $200 for AFL, NRL and S15 but only first 4 rounds of the season I think.
    It's getting to the point where punting successfully in Australia requires more skill in evading being banned than skill in picking winners.

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by Domestic View Post
    Appreciate the response, hope your withdrawal goes smoothly. I think I will wait a little bit before I try them out.
    Well, following a successful weekend at PuntingBet, I requested a withdrawal on Monday morning and have just logged into my bank's site and found that the funds were credited overnight.

strixee
    I think, therefore I win
    strixee's Avatar Become A Pro!

It's getting to the point where punting successfully in Australia requires more skill in evading being banned than skill in picking winners.
    What method do you use for your AFL model? Just regression or some advanced algorithmic method like random forest or neural networks?

antonyp22

Quote Originally Posted by strixee View Post
    What method do you use for your AFL model? Just regression or some advanced algorithmic method like random forest or neural networks?
    I use a number of models for AFL, but they all revolve around different forms of regression. Have never really looked into making use of neural networks e.t.c.

jjgold

Well, following a successful weekend at PuntingBet, I requested a withdrawal on Monday morning and have just logged into my bank's site and found that the funds were credited overnight.

Hareeba!

and fwiw, another profitable week, another Monday withdrawal from PuntingPal and it was sitting in my bank account when I woke Tuesday morning.

GamblingProphet
    GamblingProphet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

I use a number of models for AFL, but they all revolve around different forms of regression. Have never really looked into making use of neural networks e.t.c.
    What is regression and neural networks?? is it some kind strategy to win and evade being banned from bookies??? Like forcing loses

jjgold

Hareeba how are betting limits at PuntingPal??

Hareeba!

Hareeba how are betting limits at PuntingPal??
    I experienced no limitations for about the first three weeks but then they started to limit my fixed odds bets to $1,000 max stake on 1.95 lines and reject others. Seems rather haphazard.
    I was utilising my free bets on golf futures, staking to win $5000+ but have now been cut back to a max of $500!
    The tote based (BOB) racing bets however so far have been unlimited.
    Last edited by Hareeba!; 04-15-14 at 08:02 PM.

jjgold

good report Hareeba hopefully these small books over there are not gobbled up by uk corporate giants.

Domestic

Hareeba, glad your PP payout went well. I am going to go ahead and give them a go myself now.

jjgold

I recommend Aussie players trying this book out

tommygun
    Hareeba! for Prime Minister
    tommygun's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 638

no thanks ^

Hareeba!

Quote Originally Posted by tommygun View Post
    no thanks ^
    Well and good if you are still able to bet with the parasitic cowards masquerading as Australian corporate bookmakers but when your options are next to zero and you find one offering 1.95 lines on footy, high stake BOB betting on racing and paying overnight, PP has plenty of appeal.

tommygun
    Hareeba! for Prime Minister
    tommygun's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 638

Well and good if you are still able to bet with the parasitic cowards masquerading as Australian corporate bookmakers but when your options are next to zero and you find one offering 1.95 lines on footy, high stake BOB betting on racing and paying overnight, PP has plenty of appeal.
    I will just stick to my current outs atm.

1234 Last