ChiSox Go For Split

Needing a win to earn a plit today in Detroit, the White Sox have the edge over the Tigers with Garland on the mound.

By: Mike Rose
http://www.who2beton.com

The Pale Hose made a huge statement last night by taking the third game of this series by a 7-5 count.

Limited to one run in losing the first two games of this four-game series against the first-place Tigers, the White Sox broke out Wednesday, scoring three runs in each of the first two innings and finishing with 15 hits. Their bats finally came alive, and they were really able to do a number on the Tigers' bullpen. The Sox could find themselves right back where they started before they invaded Motown, and leave just 5.5 games back with the Wild Card lead.

Jon Garland has proved to me and the rest of the baseball world that last season was no fluke. His 14-4 record speaks volumes for the job he's done with the way the White Sox pitching staff has faltered as a whole in '06. He's already gone into Detroit twice this season and earned a pair of victories, and is most definitely the guy manager Ozzie Guillen wants on the bump as the Sox look to split this series.

On top of that, Garland's 11-5 in his career vs. the Tigers. The Sox have won all three games vs. the Tigers when Nate Robertson has faced them this season. His stuff hasn't fooled them this year, and I'm looking for the Sox bats to stay healthy this afternoon after last night's solid effort.

The Sox have won 11 of the 16 meetings with the division leading Tigers this year, and I look for them to be ready to take their 12th of the year today and earn a series split.

Play: White Sox +105