22 57.89%
  • Stay Put

16 42.11%
    The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Poll: Should I quit my job

You guys decide.

Been there 8 years. Get 6 weeks of vacation per year. Make anywhere from 80-100k, depending on how much I want to work. I don't love my job and at times dread it (like now).

If I were to quit, I would be paid a 1 month severance package and could likely have a new job in 1 week.

The biggest drawback is that I can't stand the people I work with and I only partially like what i do.

So i will open this up for voting. If the majority vote to quit, I'll give my notice within a week. If the majority vote to stay, I'll suck it up as long as i can.

I feel like fate is going to play a big role in this and you guys hold the keys.

MoneyIsWater
    $$$$$$$$$$$$
    MoneyIsWater's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

Severance.

You don't like it.

Your confident.

I'd quit.

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

It seems like more information is needed before giving a final answer.

Such as: how far is your job from your house? And how far would the potential other job be? Commuting sucks.

BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

If you could get another job in a week, I'm guessing it wouldn't be as good as the one you have, or you wouldn't be asking the question.
    95% of us don't like our jobs and would rather be doing something else.
    Unfortunately lots of us are fukked and stuck where we are because of the money and lack of opportunities for improvement.

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Get your new job first.

"A bird in the hand".....

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Krackler, seems like you dig the caf food. Go ahead and stay.

The Kraken

Current job is 5 miles away, takes me 10 minutes. New job I'm not sure, it could be anywhere. I applied for a job in SF and got offered the position, so that's one option

It's hard leaving a steady job but it's hard working at a place I'm not happy. My boss says "if you're not happy, then leave, no job is worth your not being happy" and i agree. At the same time, happiness is only part of it, theres other factors to consider like what ya'll think I should do

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Go for what's gonna make you happy. Unless you can find a job like bigdays working 7 hrs a week and they give you trips etc

boondoggle
    99.82% of forum posters are idiots
    boondoggle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

If you had the "perfect" job would you be happy?
    If you had the "perfect" marriage would you be happy?
    If you had the "perfect" family would you be happy?
    If you had the "perfect" financial setting would you be happy?
    If you had the "perfect" sports betting reality would you be happy?
    If you had the "perfect" reality would you be happy?

No.

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Kraken, it looks like you've already voted to move along. If that's the case, that's what you should do.

I would hate for it to be a 24-23 vote in favor of staying, and you would be forced to stay. Can you imagine all the internet death threats you'd be doling out to those guys?

Do what makes you happy. Money is overrated.

MoneyIsWater
    $$$$$$$$$$$$
    MoneyIsWater's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

Simple.

You live once.

Don't force stress in your life by working 33% of your day doing something that makes you miserable.

Life isn't about money. It's about living.

Don't let yourself become comfortable in a situation you hate.

You're not a machine.

Be happy.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman
    Russian Rocket's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 533

Kraken always pursue bigger and better things in life. Sounds like you already reached you max potential at the current place, so if you can pass a drug test, go for a new job.

daneault23
    daneault23's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4955

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Current job is 5 miles away, takes me 10 minutes. New job I'm not sure, it could be anywhere. I applied for a job in SF and got offered the position, so that's one option

It's hard leaving a steady job but it's hard working at a place I'm not happy. My boss says "if you're not happy, then leave, no job is worth your not being happy" and i agree. At the same time, happiness is only part of it, theres other factors to consider like what ya'll think I should do
    Kraken, you live in the Bay Area man? If so, there should be plenty of opportunities in Silicon Valley for your services. Like your boss says, "if you're not happy then leave." Life really is too short to stay at a job where you go in everyday hating life, just waiting til the clock turns to 5 so you can get outta there.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Kraken if you don't mind me asking, what do u do?

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

If you ever have to ask, you should

sbrhedge
    sbrhedge's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

You might want to consider the following situation: if the economy goes to crap and all hell breaks loose in the job market, would you feel better staying at your current job?

I was working at a huge tech company, and I knew the stock and job market was gonna take a crap in 2008. I still didn't want to stay at the company or in tech in general, I decided this is probably the best time to run my hedge fund full time even if I wasn't making anything, and I'm much happier today than 6 years ago. In 2008, my answer at that time was to leave.

I have a hard time imagining higher paying jobs are going to miraculously come about in the next 2-3 years, so you might want to consider your cash flow options before leaving.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Kraken ,

is that you in that avatar?

just curious b/c if you have a shaved head and a huge goatie like that you are probably scaring your patients...

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

Don't give notice until you have another job, but get out if you're not happy there.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

6 weeks vacation is insane. i would keep the job.

most jobs you only get 1 week and thats after a full year.

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    6 weeks vacation is insane. i would keep the job.

most jobs you only get 1 week and thats after a full year.

1 week yes if your job consists of asking if they want fries with their order
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: zizoudane10, El Nino, and gauchojake

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    1 week yes if your job consists of asking if they want fries with their order

z-doggie
    yo dog ,,i am the ish...
    z-doggie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1981

Dang ..og...that is a job that pays a ton and gets great bennys...

I would stay ....

Lots of peeps wish they had it that good...

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Being someone who left their job late last year while making more money than I ever have before I'll give you the reasons why I had to go.

1. The people. I spent more time (like most people) with my employees than with anyone else. I did not like these people, AT ALL, lifetime losers who desperately tried to bring me down to their level. I never realized how toxic a group of losers makes a place.

2. Other management. Utter embarrassment.

3. It was not what I wanted to be 60 and still doing. Can't stress this one enough, no one approaching 30 should willingly stay at a job that they don't see themselves doing when it's getting time to retire. A week before I left I was laying in bed trying to fall asleep and I realized I was literally wasting my life away, it wasn't what I liked or wanted to do and I did it all for a paycheck, something which now I can get a dozen different ways.

Flashforward to today and I can't be more confident in my choice to leave where I was, I did not spend a single day regretting leaving.

TheGoldenGoose
    TheGoldenGoose's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3621

If you are not happy, then leave.

If the people you work with are azzholes, then leave.

No amount of money is worth it if you hate the job and hate the people.

And that's a fact Jack.

Follow your heart. It knows all things.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9132

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    You guys decide.

Been there 8 years. Get 6 weeks of vacation per year. Make anywhere from 80-100k, depending on how much I want to work. I don't love my job and at times dread it (like now).

If I were to quit, I would be paid a 1 month severance package and could likely have a new job in 1 week.

The biggest drawback is that I can't stand the people I work with and I only partially like what i do.

So i will open this up for voting. If the majority vote to quit, I'll give my notice within a week. If the majority vote to stay, I'll suck it up as long as i can.

I feel like fate is going to play a big role in this and you guys hold the keys.
    sounds like you work for SBR

Bosseman22
    Bosseman22's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 43540

its what you make of it sometimes, lighten up at work. Care less about others and love what you do. Have some fun

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

Quit your job. Join a convent and repent. Whore.

Swinging Johnson
    Swinging Johnson's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5614

Ah hello. You're a Kraken or did you forget that? If I'm not mistaken this is your most recent picture below which indicates you're not the type that goes to a desk everyday only to put up with people you don't like. A Kraken doesn't put up with anything dammit! You eat them for lunch and then you ask, "who wants to be dinner!" Put up with people - you?! You're a veritable leviathan taking and consuming everything in your wake. It's time you fulfill your destiny. You make the rules, you call the shots and dammit, you decide what lucky company gets a fukkin Kraken to shake the trees and get shit done. You are a Kraken (I'm whispering now in my most dramatic voice) - Act like one!

rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2111

Kraken how old are you?

The Kraken

Thanks for the good insight everyone. Good food for thought.

I went to work on Friday and had a bit of a dust up with my boss immediately. They're not all that uncommon as we both tend to be assertive and speak our mind.

So after some thought, Im gonna keep it. But only because I forgot about a loan I have out against 401k and if i quit, that money gets reported as income and then i get both taxed and penalized for over $15k. Gonna work on paying it back early.

Now i feel even more trapped. I realize it could be worse as i have what should be considered a good job so it is what it is.

Anyways, thanks again for the input.

THam12
    Money is the motivation!
    THam12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

this is a great thread... my faith in sbr has been restored.

hope you can suck it up long enough to pay back that loan Kraken.

im with everyone else in saying do what makes you happy. as a recent college grad, I have hopped into a job I dont see myself doing for long, but to get where I want to be, I know I have to use it as a stepping stone. this gets me through my work week and I just try to absorb as much information as possible about the world until then.

sbr helps me get that information lol

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post
    rocket what do u do for a living?

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by Bosseman22 View Post
    its what you make of it sometimes, lighten up at work. Care less about others and love what you do. Have some fun
    exactly.

don't try to be a perfect employee.

And always remember screw the company before you screw yourself.

Russian Rocket
    Kleptoman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    rocket what do u do for a living?
    For the past 7 years, I've been trading stocks and currency for living. Before that, I've managed an Engineering dept for a handful of startups in Bay Area and Russia.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by Russian Rocket View Post
    For the past 7 years, I've been trading stocks and currency for living. Before that, I've managed an Engineering dept for a handful of startups in Bay Area and Russia.
    nice. Do you recommed stock trading?

is it stressful ?

12 Last