sinmiedo
    sinmiedo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 369

tournaments vs ring games

Since we have a pool for " luck vs skill" I would like to make another to seek opinions on which format to choose to build your bank roll.
    Personally I have more success in tournaments than ring games where I found myself loosing all the winnings, therefore I m trying to stay away from them, but the addiction to them is very powerful, and will take some more discipline to conquer it.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9216

I like playing against people on an equal footing, so like tournaments because everyone starts with the same stack.

Ring games here are boring. Never more than 2 or 3 for a game, and that almost always includes at least one of the half dozen 'smart types' who just sit around with big stacks trying to push anyone allin over and again with shit, because they know they have the stack depth to clean them out no matter what if the other people are silly enough to keep playing them.

These are usually the people that grumble about players who minimum buy in or hit n run. Just look for anyone camped alone at multiple different blind level tables waiting.

Maybe once a week I get lucky enough to find a table with 5+ people playing.... and the most interesting thing about those tables is that you never see the predatory assholes playing then. Would not want to play anyone on an equal footing as they would lose most of the time.

Anyway, I like the tournies here a lot better too.

SharkAA
    SharkAA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6282

I'd definitely say cash games, because there is lesser variance than in MTTs and gives more constant results. Normal MTTs, especially massive field MTTs, turbo/hyper-turbo MTTs, is one of the hardest grinds. Not many known players made their big profits playing only MTTs, the majority made with cash games.

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Tournaments by far for myself. Just started playing mid December and I've cashed over a dozen times, somehow been able to rollover every time besides once. But when I'm bored and go into a ring game with my own chips I get my ass handed to me just about everytime. People like biteme, zachary and the like beat the hell out of me.

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    I like playing against people on an equal footing, so like tournaments because everyone starts with the same stack.

Ring games here are boring. Never more than 2 or 3 for a game, and that almost always includes at least one of the half dozen 'smart types' who just sit around with big stacks trying to push anyone allin over and again with shit, because they know they have the stack depth to clean them out no matter what if the other people are silly enough to keep playing them.

These are usually the people that grumble about players who minimum buy in or hit n run. Just look for anyone camped alone at multiple different blind level tables waiting.

Maybe once a week I get lucky enough to find a table with 5+ people playing.... and the most interesting thing about those tables is that you never see the predatory assholes playing then. Would not want to play anyone on an equal footing as they would lose most of the time.

Anyway, I like the tournies here a lot better too.
    +1.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Whatever floats your boat. Tournaments bore me to death. I find ring games much more interesting.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: BiTeMe UsAdOj

sinmiedo

Quote Originally Posted by SharkAA View Post
    I'd definitely say cash games, because there is lesser variance than in MTTs and gives more constant results. Normal MTTs, especially massive field MTTs, turbo/hyper-turbo MTTs, is one of the hardest grinds. Not many known players made their big profits playing only MTTs, the majority made with cash games.
    In my particular case I found that I have a lot less variance playing MTT or SNG where I can show a decent finishes .
    I think that ring players are much better players that is why I fell in there so much, just as a comparison e last 9 days I played about 30 tournaments where I won 4 and 1 with a 3rd and made the money in 6 more plus 1 in sbr and a 6t place . regrettably I lost all mot of those winnings in ring games
    Last edited by sinmiedo; 01-27-14 at 01:08 PM.

SharkAA
    SharkAA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6282

Quote Originally Posted by sinmiedo View Post
    In my particular case I found that I have a lot less variance playing MTT or SNG where I can show a decent finishes .
    I think that ring players are much better players that is why I fell in there so much, just as a comparison e last 9 days I played about 30 tournaments where I won 4 and 1 with a 3rd and made the money in 6 more plus 1 in sbr and a 6t place . regrettably I lost all mot of those winnings in ring games
    It's proven, that generally, variance is lower in CG than in MTTs. Everybody advises, that it's recommended to have at least 40 buy-ins for cash games and 100 for MTTs. Try playing some large field MTT with 500 players and you'll see, how frustrating MTTs can be.

Chipup
    Chipup's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I do better in MTT's. The only way I win consistently at Ring live is if I play rock tight and just work hard at steeling blinds. Lame strategy but at a decent buy in combined when you flop a set usually ends with a profitable night. Not huge but better than a part time job.

MTT's I'm far more engaged in my play. MTTs tend to be more skill level than luck. However when I first started playing online poker I played those 9000+ Entry free rolls (donk a ments) to build my bankroll. So I got better adjusted to tourneys and how to beat big fields.

sinmiedo

Quote Originally Posted by SharkAA View Post
    It's proven, that generally, variance is lower in CG than in MTTs. Everybody advises, that it's recommended to have at least 40 buy-ins for cash games and 100 for MTTs. Try playing some large field MTT with 500 players and you'll see, how frustrating MTTs can be.
    Agreed , and the tournaments that I usually play I about 200 witch can be considered SNG

Triple_D_Bet
    Triple_D_Bet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 219

For building a bankroll, cash games are probably best...as noted above, you can play higher stakes for a given roll and maximize your ROI. MTTs are much higher variance, and you can easily run hot or cold as it takes longer in real time to build up to a good sample size where it should start to even out. Past a certain ABC-poker level though, which one is best will depend on which one you're more suited for...ring games take more discipline/resistance to boredom imo, while with MTTs you run a greater danger of over or under-estimating your performance with the greater variance. Perfect practice makes perfect though. Personally, to build a roll I do cash games...MTTs for entertainment, don't want to wait so long for variance to equalize.