C-Gold
    C-Gold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 843

How good is Carmelo Anthony???

Is he a top 5 player? Maybe
    Is he a top 10 player? Probably
    Can you build a team around him? Sure
    Can he win a title by himself? Hell no

Amare + Anthony sounds good, but they will need at least 1 other super star ( Chris Paul) plus good role players. Do they have the money for that? Is their coach good enough to win 4 seven game series in the playoffs when his teams aren't known for defense?

It sounds like Carmelo Anthony is the modern day version of Kevin Garnett. He can score some points, get into the all star game, but he's not good enough to win on his own. He needs to be lumped together with other good players to have a chance at winning a title. He's no Lebraun or Kobe.

LChruscial85
    Tyler Bray to the Bills!
    LChruscial85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

They have a good up and coming player in Landry Fields, and Chauncey Billups is a talented Point Guard, they are close...but I agree they need 1 or 2 more good quality players!

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1794

The more shots you take the more points you score.

SportsMushroom
    SportsMushroom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6839

he's not good enough to win a championship, he's not even good enough to get a team to the finals

denver had a very good team and he didnt lead them to chit, they were barely making the playoffs as it was

little will change when he is in NY, and the only reason they will make the playoffs is the weak east, doubt they'll make it past the first round in the play offs

just to make it clear, Im not saying NY has a bad team, but neither did denver...
    Last edited by SportsMushroom; 02-22-11 at 03:07 PM.

Tree Rollins
    Tree Rollins's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1029

Quote Originally Posted by C-Gold View Post
    Is he a top 5 player? Maybe Is he a top 10 player? Probably Can you build a team around him? Sure Can he win a title by himself? Hell no Amare + Anthony sounds good, but they will need at least 1 other super star ( Chris Paul) plus good role players. Do they have the money for that? Is their coach good enough to win 4 seven game series in the playoffs when his teams aren't known for defense? It sounds like Carmelo Anthony is the modern day version of Kevin Garnett. He can score some points, get into the all star game, but he's not good enough to win on his own. He needs to be lumped together with other good players to have a chance at winning a title. He's no Lebraun or Kobe.
    I don't see where you get the Anthony and Garnett comparison. They couldn't be more different as players.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Not even close to a top 10 player

Maybe top 20

l7ustin
    l7ustin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2724

ive always hated melo ever since he knocked my horns out of the final 4. horns havent been back since either, that son ova bitch

stevex
    stevex's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11338

Not even a top 10 player?

Have you seen his statistics from the playoffs? Which is all that matters when it comes down to it.

Bradyd
    Bradyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 312

Melo a modern day KG? KG never had Melo's offensive game, and Melo never had KG's all around game. These 2 players could not be more different. And nobody is good enough to win alone..

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13317

A lot of analyst say Carmelo is the player that scores the easiest in the league, meaning it doesn't take much effort for him to score and I agree. He can easily have a 27-30+ point very quiet night. IMO he is easily a top 5 player. I don't get why you ask if he can win a title by himself as if anyone else in the league can. He took the Nuggets to the Western Conference Finals in what I thought was a very close series.

jmilacek
    jmilacek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

It sounds like Carmelo Anthony is the modern day version of Kevin Garnett. He can score some points, get into the all star game, but he's not good enough to win on his own. He needs to be lumped together with other good players to have a chance at winning a title. He's no Lebraun or Kobe.
    While I do think Carmelo is severely overrated, LeBron and Kobe have never won a title by themselves either.

zogdog
    zogdog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

He's an elite scorer and a good rebounder for his position, but that's about it. Average defender, below average play maker.

I don't see the Knicks trade working out. Carmelo most just gets the ball on the wing and goes into iso mode. Amare does basically the same thing, except when he's running the pick and roll. But now they don't have a PG to run their system (Billups doesn't really fit, and plus when is he going to have the ball with Carmelo and Amare demanding it all the time?).

Are they better? Probably. But they're only a .500 team right now. And they're still 5th in the East behind MIA, BOS, CHI, ORL.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Carmelo is more of a modern day Tracy McGrady

Does not come to play every night and can are less about winning

One dimensional type player

rsnnh12
    rsnnh12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 205

Is he a top 5 player? Maybe
    Is he a top 10 player? Probably
    Can you build a team around him? Sure
    Can he win a title by himself? Hell no

Amare + Anthony sounds good, but they will need at least 1 other super star ( Chris Paul) plus good role players. Do they have the money for that? Is their coach good enough to win 4 seven game series in the playoffs when his teams aren't known for defense?

Kobe needed Shaq and Gasol, and Lebron never won the title.

Even MJ needed a lot of help to win his titles... he didn't win his first til he was, what, 28? I think this just goes tto show how important a well-rounded team is. No modern day superstar has won it "on their own".

I agree that they'll need a CP3/Deron type player to win a ring. East is too stacked right now. Celtics for another year or 2, Heat, Bulls, Magic, Hawks. The last 4 are all young or in their primes

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9120

he is a great scorer and decent rebounder. pretty good in the post, i think he fits in well with nyk style

C-Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Tree Rollins View Post
    I don't see where you get the Anthony and Garnett comparison. They couldn't be more different as players.
    I know, but remember when KG was the man in Minnesota? Scottie Pippen said he would never be the #1 player on a team to win the Finals. He would have to be some Batman's Robin as he's not good enough to be the best player on the winning team.

Will Melo ever be the #1 player on a team to win the finals or will be be #2 to be somebody else or will he never win? It seems like NY with the big market and the offensive minded head coach is ideal for free agents. More Nike money, bill boards, fame, and your stats should be better under a coach hell bent on scoring 120 points per game in an up tempo offense.

Would you rather average 21 ppg or average 27 ppg? If you are an all star caliber player you have to think about the hall of fame and stats and endorsements etc.

C-Gold

I know one thing for sure, Carmelo fights like a b!@tch. The punch and run away is a very sissy move. Nobody in the NBA can fight, that's why they bring heat to the locker room. NBA fights are like b!@tch fights with long arms flailing around and bald coaches holding onto Alonzo Mournings legs.

NFL, MLB, NHL players would kill them. About the only people they can beat up are soccer fairies.

Whippit
    getting to know ms. douglas
    Whippit's Avatar Become A Pro!

NY has needed a player named after a candy bar ever since Reggie Jackson left the game for politics

MCherry281
    MCherry281's Avatar Become A Pro!

I've always thought he was overrated. NY gave up too much for him IMO but we'll see I guess.