LeahMichele
    fuk offshores. Play local.
    LeahMichele's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15

Would you trade away FELIX HERNANDEZ for 2 really Good Bats ?

Would it be a smart move for the mariners to trade away Felix for 2 really good bats ? I don't mean 2 OK bats. I mean 2 guys who consistently hit .300+ and have some pop. I know it sounds crazy to trade Felix, but he would bring the most. The Mariners have so much great pitching but im afraid even with the addition of Cano and Hart the offense just isn't very good. I am pretty sure that the Mariners have gotten a quality start in every single game this year but come into tonight only 7-6 because of being shut out 3 times, and 1 hit once. Our offense after the opening series against LAA has scored 27 runs in 11 games which is less than 2.5 per game. we are 27th in BA, 28th in OB %, 22 in runs scored. What is the good of great pitching if you finish 81-81 due to shitty batting ? I know this idea would not go over well, but I say we should trade felix and get some strong bats. we would still have a great rotation. Trade felix but don't do it cheaply. Am I crazy ?

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Fernandez isn't going anywhere. He loves Seattle, has a new $175 million contract and a full no trade clause.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

yes you are crazy but if I was a mariner fan i'd want some bats too... king felix sure would look good in that dodger blue we'll ship you Crawford and you pick another bat not named puig gonzalez or Ramirez you can have kemp he'll be oft injured from here on out he appears to be that guy.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

Its not crazy, but who has two .300 hitters with pop to spare? I don't think a team is gonna trade their 3-4 hitters for him.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

a .300 bat with pop in most parks getting moved to seattle goes to .280 with little power in safeco

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor

and with that said, the king's splits are about dead even, so he'll perform everywhere

of course to be fair the M's offensive splits were terribly shitty whether they were home or not

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

pitching wins

hitting means nothing

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    pitching wins

hitting means nothing
    what is felix's playoff record?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

trading good pitchers for hitters is suicide

Its rarely done anymore

Cookie Monster
    Large moneylines
    Cookie Monster's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9852

Most people do not understand how trades work. Felix Hernandez may be a net asset, but not a huge trade value, as his salary (about 25 m per year) is close than his expected on field value for next years. I think it is a good value for Mariners organization, as he is identified with the team and helps them to sell more tickets and better TV ratings.

If your team takes Pujols for a bag of baseballs, they are being stolen. Pujols contract is way too expensive for his declining ability, so the only way for LAA to get rid of him is paying a big chunk of his contract, directly or indirectly (sending him with positive value players, or receiving another albatross).

So, it is not a player for another. It is a player and his contract vs another player and his contract. You must estimate his projected ability for next years, and only then you can get a fair trade value.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 3 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Vegas39, benjy, and thirtytwo

MiDNiTe
    MiDNiTe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5520

no1 sp are worth gold

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

no.

WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

No team is giving away 2 +.300 hitters with pop. They'd just be making themselves the Mariners. Who even has the luxury of two hitters of that caliber.

Close this penetrating thread.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Most people do not understand how trades work. Felix Hernandez may be a net asset, but not a huge trade value, as his salary (about 25 m per year) is close than his expected on field value for next years. I think it is a good value for Mariners organization, as he is identified with the team and helps them to sell more tickets and better TV ratings.

If your team takes Pujols for a bag of baseballs, they are being stolen. Pujols contract is way too expensive for his declining ability, so the only way for LAA to get rid of him is paying a big chunk of his contract, directly or indirectly (sending him with positive value players, or receiving another albatross).

So, it is not a player for another. It is a player and his contract vs another player and his contract. You must estimate his projected ability for next years, and only then you can get a fair trade value.
    This.

Of course, I honestly believe Felix is the best pitcher in baseball, so I would say absolutely not. I'm a Tiger fan and I love Miguel Cabrera of course, but if you asked for a trade even up at this point in their careers, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    No team is giving away 2 +.300 hitters with pop. They'd just be making themselves the Mariners. Who even has the luxury of two hitters of that caliber.

Close this penetrating thread.
    These days, that is true. Funny what weeding out steroid use has done to baseball. A .300 average will get you in the Top-10 in the league for batting average these days by the end of the season.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

dodgers traded pedro martinez for delino deshields. it worked out well.

lol

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Quote Originally Posted by LeahMichele View Post
    we would still have a great rotation. Trade felix but don't do it cheaply. Am I crazy ?
    The Mariners have given 8 starts to Erasmo ramirez, Chris Young, Blake Beaven and Roenis Elias, Outside of Hernandez the Rotation is averaging less than 5.5 IP per game, sure they have some good pitchers that are injured right now, but if the plan would be to trade Hernandez, give 60% your starts to rookies and run your bullpen into the ground, that is overall a bad idea no matter how good you hitting is.

LeahMichele

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    Fernandez isn't going anywhere. He loves Seattle, has a new $175 million contract and a full no trade clause.
    He will accept trade to a good team, or he can stay in Seattle and keep getting 1 or 2 runs support per game and be on a team that has no chance of making it to the playoffs despite great pitching. if the circumstances were right, he would accept trade. no trade clause doesn't mean he cant be traded, just means he would have to agree.

LeahMichele

Quote Originally Posted by smitch124 View Post
    Its not crazy, but who has two .300 hitters with pop to spare? I don't think a team is gonna trade their 3-4 hitters for him.
    I agree. There aren't too many teams with 2 great hitters they would give up, but for Felix they are going to have to give up a lot. How about Minnesota. I want Mauer and Kubel. They have crap pitching but great hitting. Give me Mauer and Kubel and the Twins still get the best of the deal.

LeahMichele

pitching wins

hitting means nothing
    To win, you have to have both. Before today we have one of the best, if not the best ERA in baseball, yet we were 7-7. Great pitching wont win enough games when you're only putting up 2 1/2 runs a game.

LeahMichele

trading good pitchers for hitters is suicide

Its rarely done anymore
    Don't agree JJ. Its just not that many teams have more than 1 or 2 great pitchers, that's why they don't trade them. But the M's have Felix, Paxton, Iwakuma, Tijuan Walker coming back, and Elias ( 2.16 ERA ). And pretty much no bats.

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia
    MagicDiceFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!

Felix Hernandez is not the best pitcher in baseball. Kershaw is the best pitcher in baseball period, no debate.

LeahMichele

Doesn't matter if he is #1 or #10. fact is he is our best trade bait, and we have no chance to win even 75 games without changing something with this horrific offense. We will soon have Felix, Iwakuma, Paxton, Elias, and they are even talking Tijuan Walker coming back up within a month or so. Why ? So we can have 6 good pitchers and score 2 runs a game. If I was a great pitcher like Feliz I would want to be on a team that has a chance, a team that I could help get there. Not on a team that will be lucky to finish 70-92.

bostonboss
    bostonboss's Avatar Become A Pro!

id trade hernandez for mike trout and Hamilton....money matches up.....Hamilton is a stiff but trout will be good for a long time..can hit/play defense/steal bases.

LeahMichele

its a good thought but I don't know if I would want him in our own division, and I agree Hamilton has seen his better days. He is a K almost 40% of the time.

bostonboss
    bostonboss's Avatar Become A Pro!

hernandez will hurt his arm eventually...

upscope
    upscope's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6685

Quote Originally Posted by bostonboss View Post
    id trade hernandez for mike trout and Hamilton....money matches up.....Hamilton is a stiff but trout will be good for a long time..can hit/play defense/steal bases.
    Haha...the angels wouldn't trade Trout for the entire M's team even if the M's picked UP everybody's contracts

trobin31
    trobin31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10373

First, no body trades away their ACE pitcher unless they are rebuilding, which the Mariners clearly are NOT doing. If ANY team is serious about making a run after the All-Star break, then, they will wait for the sellers/rebuilders to offer up their soon-to-be free agents for a couplpe of prospects.

Here is a list of expected free agents for 2015: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...ee-agents.html

Now this list could apply to any team in baseball but we'll focus on Seattle who needs to improve at all but one position, and that's second base.

At shortstop: Any Marlin is available at the right price and (if healthy) Furcal could be an upgrade at a cheap price. The oft injured Jose Reyes and Jimmy Rollins, while not up for free agency could be significant trading blocks this year given the trajectory of their teams, and both seem to have a contract worthy of dumping into someone elses lap.

Third Base: Welcome HOME A-Rod, however, NOBODY is that stupid, right? The best option could be Chase Headley in San Diego.

First base: Outside of second base, this is your only other position where you have two solid players on staff in Smoak and Hart, Adam LaRoche, if not too busy grooming his beard to be a 30+ homerun hitter again could be there for sure! Cuddyer is the best option of all, but likely would have to pay a hefty price.

Outfield: So many options here, but, if you were to bring back A-rod, why not Ichiro? The better options would be Nelson Cruz, if the orioles are cruising at the bottom come break time. Markakis alternatively. Granderson doesnt seem to be so popular these days with his new contract in New York so he could be on the block as well.

I would definitely not trade away your best player and face of the franchise to get any 1 or 2 of these guys. Believe me, no one is giving away their .300, 30 HR, 100 RBI guy unless the contracts running out and they know re-signing is unlikely. The risk is having to give up your unproven young talent from the minors, which seeems to work for a lot of teams anyway.

upscope

its a good thought but I don't know if I would want him in our own division, and I agree Hamilton has seen his better days. He is a K almost 40% of the time.
    You r saying you wouldn't take M. Trout for F. Hernandez because u wouldn't want Felix pitching within the division?? That's laughable. When considering everything (age, talent, impact, contract, likability, marketability, ect, ect) Mike Trout's current value is as high as anybody's we've seen in a long time.

LeahMichele

Quote Originally Posted by trobin31 View Post
    First, no body trades away their ACE pitcher unless they are rebuilding, which the Mariners clearly are NOT doing. If ANY team is serious about making a run after the All-Star break, then, they will wait for the sellers/rebuilders to offer up their soon-to-be free agents for a couplpe of prospects.

Here is a list of expected free agents for 2015: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...ee-agents.html

Now this list could apply to any team in baseball but we'll focus on Seattle who needs to improve at all but one position, and that's second base.

At shortstop: Any Marlin is available at the right price and (if healthy) Furcal could be an upgrade at a cheap price. The oft injured Jose Reyes and Jimmy Rollins, while not up for free agency could be significant trading blocks this year given the trajectory of their teams, and both seem to have a contract worthy of dumping into someone elses lap.

Third Base: Welcome HOME A-Rod, however, NOBODY is that stupid, right? The best option could be Chase Headley in San Diego.

First base: Outside of second base, this is your only other position where you have two solid players on staff in Smoak and Hart, Adam LaRoche, if not too busy grooming his beard to be a 30+ homerun hitter again could be there for sure! Cuddyer is the best option of all, but likely would have to pay a hefty price.

Outfield: So many options here, but, if you were to bring back A-rod, why not Ichiro? The better options would be Nelson Cruz, if the orioles are cruising at the bottom come break time. Markakis alternatively. Granderson doesnt seem to be so popular these days with his new contract in New York so he could be on the block as well.

I would definitely not trade away your best player and face of the franchise to get any 1 or 2 of these guys. Believe me, no one is giving away their .300, 30 HR, 100 RBI guy unless the contracts running out and they know re-signing is unlikely. The risk is having to give up your unproven young talent from the minors, which seeems to work for a lot of teams anyway.
    Lol. if they are not rebuilding, then I don't know what they are doing. This is one of the worst offenses I have ever seen. They are getting shut down by every starter pitcher who goes up against them. If the Mariners don't do something more to improve this pathetic offense they wont win 75 games this year. So I guess they don't really care all that much about having a championship caliber team.

SteveKerrsJunk
    SteveKerrsJunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 134

You got Cano man..that dumb overrated POS n igger.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

Astros will be better than the M's in a few years and they might even be better than the Angels. Pay attention to the many young talented guys on their roster and on their minor teams.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

Lol. if they are not rebuilding, then I don't know what they are doing. This is one of the worst offenses I have ever seen. They are getting shut down by every starter pitcher who goes up against them. If the Mariners don't do something more to improve this pathetic offense they wont win 75 games this year. So I guess they don't really care all that much about having a championship caliber team.
    M's problems are a continuation from last year. Too many of their guys are trying to swing for the fences. Guys need to focus on making contact and getting on base. So many players are trying to pull the ball and hit a solo HR and they end up striking out. Terrible to watch.

upscope

They havent built their offense properly is the problem. have to build for the ballpark. Speedy average hitters that play solid defense not low average lumbering sluggers.