Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24875

Contrary to popular opinion, Osborne never had nationally acclaimed recruiting classes. He'd get a few aces, but mostly blue collar types or diamonds in the rough. The walk-on program was also a big part of the programs success. I highly doubt Osborne ever had a class that was ranked as high as #2. You could go through the rosters of the championship years, and find only a few "5-star" talent guys that other schools were drooling over.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Munny View Post
    Pelini is past the "vote of confidence" stage of his downfall. He's inching ever close to being shown the door. Even Pelini knows it in the back of his mind. The old Pelini was brash and aloof at his pressers, but following this game he was cordial and answered all questions in a professional manner.....because he knows he doesn't have the cache anymore to be an ass. He doesn't have the answers and the same old lines have become trite. His best season (2009) was with Callahan's recruits (Dennard, Amukamara, Hagg, Gomes, Suh, Crick). With his own players, this so-called defensive guru has looked as helpless as his predecessor. The fans didn't boo because they are numb. Their expectations in big games have been whittled down to apathetic levels due to the team's persistent impotence in marquee matchups. Pelini is not going to be fired this week, but he probably should be. There is no more air of optimism around this guy.
    just a hint if they really want Bo fired you need to boo I know they are nice mid west folk still need to boo put pressure on the powers to be to fire him...another reason they won't fire Bo after this is Nebraska has about as loyal a fan base as they come no matter how bad they are people still going to fill seats very loyal fan base

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

osborne lost to such perennial football powers as washington and colorado by double digits in lincoln.

lol

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    just a hint if they really want Bo fired you need to boo I know they are nice mid west folk still need to boo put pressure on the powers to be to fire him...another reason they won't fire Bo after this is Nebraska has about as loyal a fan base as they come no matter how bad they are people still going to fill seats very loyal fan base
    I don't think the University brass are assessing the "boo-level" in the stadium in order to move forward with important decisions that affect the future of the program. See, matters at this level aren't handled the same way a wet t-shirt contest is judged.

Eddy Munny

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    osborne lost to such perennial football powers as washington and colorado by double digits in lincoln.

lol
    Both won national championships that year. There's also a difference between losing and suffering catastrophic setbacks that point to deficiencies in the foundation of the program.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

1996: After signing 28 players in 1995, the Huskers have a small class of 18 players (12 letterwinners) in 1996. If anything, Nebraska has been too good of late with some recruits staying away for fear that they won't get on the field right away. "You think that would never happen, but it did," Osborne tells the OWH. "They just thought we had a bunch of supermen out there. We were good, but not that good."
    "They aren't all great students or great citizens, but they are great athletes." --Colorado coach Rick Neuheisel on Nebraska's recruiting success in the Denver Post, Feb. 8 1996

Not sure who Osborne was wishing he had signed because Nebraska's class finishes No. 2 overall according to SuperPrep, their highest ranking of the decade. DB Ralph Brown, DE George Guidry and LB Robert Pollard are all among the Dallas Morning News' top 100. Guidry eventually transferred to Grambling in his home state of Louisiana. Pollard, who was ranked ahead of such stars as Edgerrin James, Plaxico Burress, Champ Bailey and Ron Dayne coming out of high school, never qualified academically and wasn't admitted as a partial qualifier under the new Big 12 rules. The loss of two of Nebraska's biggest recruiting coups makes the ranking a little misleading, but you could say that's almost always the case. The class did produce four All-Americans (M. Brown, R. Brown, Hochstein, Polk), also the best total of the decade.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

Both won national championships that year. There's also a difference between losing and suffering catastrophic setbacks that point to deficiencies in the foundation of the program.
    nebraska was favored in both games.

teaserpleaser

I don't think the University brass are assessing the "boo-level" in the stadium in order to move forward with important decisions that affect the future of the program. See, matters at this level aren't handled the same way a wet t-shirt contest is judged.
    funny....okay just sit there lets see how your program improves but like I said Nebraska football no longer matters so I don't think university brass are to concerned with clipping Bo at this point

Eddy Munny

funny....okay just sit there lets see how your program improves but like I said Nebraska football no longer matters so I don't think university brass are to concerned with clipping Bo at this point
    They don't matter, that's correct. So that's why the coach is toast. Just because you don't care about the program, doesn't mean the University or fans/boosters should stop caring too.

teaserpleaser

They don't matter, that's correct. So that's why the coach is toast. Just because you don't care about the program, doesn't mean the University or fans/boosters should stop caring too.
    The fans will show up no matter brass knows this you're stuck with Bo don't know what else to tell you

Eddy Munny

1996: After signing 28 players in 1995, the Huskers have a small class of 18 players (12 letterwinners) in 1996. If anything, Nebraska has been too good of late with some recruits staying away for fear that they won't get on the field right away. "You think that would never happen, but it did," Osborne tells the OWH. "They just thought we had a bunch of supermen out there. We were good, but not that good."
    "They aren't all great students or great citizens, but they are great athletes." --Colorado coach Rick Neuheisel on Nebraska's recruiting success in the Denver Post, Feb. 8 1996

Not sure who Osborne was wishing he had signed because Nebraska's class finishes No. 2 overall according to SuperPrep, their highest ranking of the decade. DB Ralph Brown, DE George Guidry and LB Robert Pollard are all among the Dallas Morning News' top 100. Guidry eventually transferred to Grambling in his home state of Louisiana. Pollard, who was ranked ahead of such stars as Edgerrin James, Plaxico Burress, Champ Bailey and Ron Dayne coming out of high school, never qualified academically and wasn't admitted as a partial qualifier under the new Big 12 rules. The loss of two of Nebraska's biggest recruiting coups makes the ranking a little misleading, but you could say that's almost always the case. The class did produce four All-Americans (M. Brown, R. Brown, Hochstein, Polk), also the best total of the decade.
    Thanks for illustrating my point for me. The guys mentioned here didn't contribute but for the last of Osborne's 3 national titles. The 1996 class had no bearing on the 1994 title team or Osborne's best team, and arguably the greatest of all time, the 1995 squad. The only reason the '96 class was highly touted was because of the momentum generated by back-to-back national championships. And those championship teams consisted of many cornerstones that were not on many teams' recruiting radars like Terry Connealy, Ed Stewart, the Peter Brothers, Baron Miles, Cory Schlesinger etc...

Eddy Munny

The fans will show up no matter brass knows this you're stuck with Bo don't know what else to tell you
    I never said the fans wouldn't show up. They showed up for Solich and Callahan. Both got canned. Pelini isn't bulletproof. Osborne isn't even the AD anymore so I'm not sure why you're so adamant that Pelini is here to stay.

teaserpleaser

I never said the fans wouldn't show up. They showed up for Solich and Callahan. Both got canned. Pelini isn't bulletproof. Osborne isn't even the AD anymore so I'm not sure why you're so adamant that Pelini is here to stay.
    too be honest I'm shocked I've spent this much time posting about a program I'm pretty sure I couldn't care less about they could hire whomever I wouldn't care. Good luck hope it works out for you guys

wagerjunkie
    wagerjunkie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

first of all, i've been following college football longer than you've been posting fake bets on the internet.

secondly, what does nebraska's past success (over 15 years ago) have to do with anything? nd, miami, fsu, colorado, florida, usc and even washington won championships around that time. so does that mean all their coaches should be canned if they don't win a championship too? of course not. times change, so do programs.

but no matter who is coaching, they are only as good as the players they recruit & sign. and nebraska has been no higher than #17 in recruiting for the past 6 seasons. guess which team has been #1 nearly every year since 2008? you guessed it, alabama. so it's no surprise to anyone who knows football that alabama would dominate while nebraska would be 17-25 in rankings.
    this shows you just don't get it.

at all.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

Thanks for illustrating my point for me. The guys mentioned here didn't contribute but for the last of Osborne's 3 national titles. The 1996 class had no bearing on the 1994 title team or Osborne's best team, and arguably the greatest of all time, the 1995 squad. The only reason the '96 class was highly touted was because of the momentum generated by back-to-back national championships. And those championship teams consisted of many cornerstones that were not on many teams' recruiting radars like Terry Connealy, Ed Stewart, the Peter Brothers, Baron Miles, Cory Schlesinger etc...
    I highly doubt Osborne ever had a class that was ranked as high as #2.
    um, you were 100% wrong.

1992 class was ranked as high as #10.
    1993 class was ranked as high as #7.
    1995 class was ranked as high as #5.
    1996 class was ranked as high as #2.

so even the great osborne needed talent to win. because when he didn't have top recruit talent he was no better than pelini.

Eddy Munny

too be honest I'm shocked I've spent this much time posting about a program I'm pretty sure I couldn't care less about they could hire whomever I wouldn't care. Good luck hope it works out for you guys
    k....don't let the door hit you in the ass.

teaserpleaser

k....don't let the door hit you in the ass.
    K I'll be on the look out for the e-door

Eddy Munny

um, you were 100% wrong.

1992 class was ranked as high as #10.
    1993 class was ranked as high as #7.
    1995 class was ranked as high as #5.
    1996 class was ranked as high as #2.

so even the great osborne needed talent to win. because when he didn't have top recruit talent he was no better than pelini.
    Wrong....even the less talented Osborne teams were at least sound fundamentally. That's coaching....getting your players to play to their potential, whatever that may be. And again, it's Pelini's job to recruit. That's what head coaches do. He doesn't get let off the hook just because the recruiting classes are deemed unworthy of the nation's elite. At the very least he could get them to make a tackle, and not fold in pressure situations, or jump offsides, make late hits etc. He could have hired a better defensive coordinator, never forced a safety to play quarterback (Martinez), or make some halftime/in-game adjustments. He fails in multiple categories, therefore he sucks.

Eddy Munny

K I'll be on the look out for the e-door
    Don't laugh at your own jokes.....it's just not a good look.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

Wrong....even the less talented Osborne teams were at least sound fundamentally. That's coaching....getting your players to play to their potential, whatever that may be. And again, it's Pelini's job to recruit. That's what head coaches do. He doesn't get let off the hook just because the recruiting classes are deemed unworthy of the nation's elite. At the very least he could get them to make a tackle, and not fold in pressure situations, or jump offsides, make late hits etc. He could have hired a better defensive coordinator, never forced a safety to play quarterback (Martinez), or make some halftime/in-game adjustments. He fails in multiple categories, therefore he sucks.

wrong? no im right. osborne & cornhuskers did not become a national powerhouse until the signing of tommy frazier in 1992 along with townsend, wright, saltsman, morrow, washington, benning, stokes, rutz all ranked in top 15 in their positions. it is considered by many to be one of the greatest recruiting classes of all time. it was ranked #2 all time in college history: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...l-time/page/20

pelini has never had a recruiting class higher than #17. so to blame him for nebraska not being a national powerhouse is ridiculous.

btw, were they fundamentally sound when they lost to washington and colorado at home by double digits?

wagerjunkie

wrong? no im right. osborne & cornhuskers did not become a national powerhouse until the signing of tommy frazier in 1992 along with townsend, wright, saltsman, morrow, washington, benning, stokes, rutz all ranked in top 15 in their positions. it is considered by many to be one of the greatest recruiting classes of all time. it was ranked #2 all time in college history: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...l-time/page/20

pelini has never had a recruiting class higher than #17. so to blame him for nebraska not being a national powerhouse is ridiculous.

btw, were they fundamentally sound when they lost to washington and colorado at home by double digits?
    crusty come on man.

u are that dude when it comes to burying people

but that statement COME ON DUDE

he's the fukkin head coach! he recruits the damn players that play for him so of course u blame him for not being a national powerhouse!

Eddy Munny

Why is it ridiculous to blame Pelini? Recruiting is a coach's JOB. It's not something they do on the side to kill time. According to your criteria, a coach mustn't be fired until he's had a top ten class or two and then fails to produce on the field? Now that's ridiculous. There would be a lot of bad coaches who still hold down jobs if we simply gave them a pass because of recruiting oversights. For the last time, it's Pelini's job to recruit. He is not at the mercy of external forces beyond his control. He is the damn HEAD COACH. As for the 1992 class, Frazier was a big get....those others not so much. You mention the Washington and Colorado games again.....so what? They won national titles. Even fundamentally sound teams stub their toes. Pelini makes a regular habit of it though. And his teams don't just simply stub their toes, they sever them altogether in Callahanesque fashion.
    Last edited by Eddy Munny; 09-14-13 at 07:35 PM.

wagerjunkie

this isn't the NFL where u have a GM select your players for you

Eddy Munny

Let me know if UCLA wins the 2013 national title.....then we'll note the Osborne parallels.

Eddy Munny

Oh yeah and that link you submitted about Nebraska's recruiting class being hailed as one of the greats, is done so with the advantage of hindsight. Nobody was lauding that class as one of the greatest of all time in 1992. Only after people bore witness to the accomplishments of the players in that class were they considered great. So you're taking that out of context. Tommie Frazier was a prize recruit yes, but Chris Dishman and Damon Benning? Those were just homegrown cats that were given scholarships. Other big schools weren't knocking down their doors trying to acquire their services. Scott Saltsman? Get real.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

you sound bitter. how much did u lose on nebraska?

you dont make any sense either. fundamentals dont win u games, talent does. hundley for example is considered the 2nd best qb prospect and projected top 5 pick. they had no answer for his running and throwing. not many teams do. jimmy johnsons canes were one of the least disciplined teams in football yet won championship thanks to their raw talent.

1992 was not hindsight. they were highly regarded from the beginning. signing of frazier alone catapulted them 5 spot into the top 10. plus the signing of 8 prospects in top 15. the fact that they became possibly the greatest class ever was no surprise. pelini has never had anything close to the talent osborne had.

recruiting is part of the job and hes done very well. no top prospect is going to choose lincoln over bama, lsu, usc, miami, fsu or florida. yet he has kept nebraska in top 25 with top 20 talent and won 3 bowl games. again u sound very bitter

Eddy Munny

How do I sound bitter? Oh because I controvert your case? I didn't lose anything on Nebraska.....you're just clueless as to how mediocre Pelini is. Maybe you're Italian? Yea, you sound Italian. Or maybe you just worship at the altar of Don Flamingo. I'm stating facts here. If the 1992 class was so great because of the players you mentioned, then I have news for you.....Osborne won those titles with the lesser known guys. Damon Benning was never a star at Nebraska. Ben Rutz......did he ever throw a meaningful pass? Nope.....his hotshot recruit arm was only on display in the fourth quarter of blowouts. Scott Saltsman....nothing special. Toby Wright was good, but Larry Townsend? Never lived up to his potential. Jamie Morrow, nope. Eric Stokes....getting warmer, but again, nothing special. My point here is that Osborne and his staff routinely made the most of his players, many of whom were overlooked by other big schools. He didn't just get by on raw talent. The Miami team he beat to win his first national title I would argue was way more talented on paper. They had Ray Lewis and Warren Sapp for starters. See where I'm going with this? Pelini can't even compete with teams of comparable talent much less teams with an edge in talent. That's because Pelini is a bad coach. If you disagree with this, then tell me some of the benefits of having Bo Pelini as a head coach. Also, why is Pelini constantly at a talent disadvantage? Is he completely inept in the recruiting department? I don't wanna hear about how kids will choose sunny beaches over wheat fields.......Last I checked, there were no oceans in Nebraska during Osborne's reign.

Eddy Munny

You can't win Crustyme. Trust me, you can't win. You can only regurgitate that you believe Pelini doesn't have the Jimmy's and the Joe's, as if there is a whole separate body within the University whose sole responsibility is to recruit players, and Pelini can only passively sit by and wait to see who they get for him.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

its 2am-5am depending on where u live and ur still going on and on about pelini. of course ur bitter. lol

again 1992 class was no hindsight as they were ranked top 10 at the time. they got 8 recruits in top 15 which pelini has never come close to having. not to mention subsequent #2, #5, #7 classes which helped them to ncs. pelini has never had higher than #17.

losing to ucla is not even close to the catastrophy ur trying to make it out to be. ucla is ranked higher and has better athletes. so losing to them was no different than osborne losing to washington and colorado at home by double digits. did u also cry for osborne's head when he lost to them as favorites?

back in the 90s u didnt have the competition that u have now. sec and pac 10 werent the power houses they are now. if ur a top recruit and could choose between miami, la, baton rouge, columbus or lincoln... would u really choose lincoln? i wouldnt. it wouldnt even be in my top 15.

the fact that pelini has kept nebraska relevant and ranked is a testament to him.

Eddy Munny

Well it's the same time frame for you and you're rattling on in favor of Pelini.....so you're obviously his lovechild or his pool boy. You insist he's a good enough coach to keep around like some stray dog that's wandered into a warehouse and nobody has the heart to kick out. So you feed him, and make excuses for him like "Well sure he shits all over the place, but he's never had a proper home. Lassie had several proper homes." Well then you take him. Who's your team bro? Have Pelini come coach YOUR team and shit all over the rug. You still haven't enlightened me about what's so great about Bo Pelini. You've only managed to convince yourself that he's not among the worst of all time. But what about the advantages of having Pelini? I'm still waiting.

Eddy Munny

I think you're just some recruiting geek that scours the Rivals website all day and gets a hard-on when you see a guy with five stars by his name. You constantly speak in general terms and throw out specific rankings of classes from twenty years ago as if that somehow exonerates Pelini. And I have to say, you're pretty fukking dense too. And by dense, I mean you're stupid. You constantly lament the fact that Pelini has never had great recruits, as if that's someone else's fault. I've tried to get through to you on this level but I've come up empty, just like Pelini in big games. Pelini recruits players.......not his secretary. Quit making excuses for your sugar daddy. You know jack squat about football. Your arguments on behalf of Pelini are childlike. Quit trying......

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

i hadnt made a post in this thread in 9 hours. i was willing to let u have the last word since ur so angry and bitter about losing money on them. but no u kept bumping it at 4am edt cause ur still bitter. lol

ur still making no sense. u keep saying pelini cant recruit yet u think he should be winning national championships with the subpar talent he has. u cant have it both ways.

did u think osborne was a legendary coach when he was losing 7 consecutive bowl games or losing 8 consecutive games to top 10 ranked opponents? of course not. he didnt start winning until he got lucky and landed tommy frazier and the best recruiting classes in nebraska history.

pelini wont win either unless he lands someone as good as frazier and recruits as good as the 1992 class.

again losing to ucla is nothing to be ashamed of. so stop crying like a lil bitch.

Eddy Munny

You just don't get it. You're not even capable of getting it. You'd rather just be a moronic Pelini apologist that actually yield to reason or rationale. My point is that Pelini sucks at both the X's and O's part of coaching, as well as the recruiting front. Under your thinking, a coach would have the luxury of losing games hand over fist and leaning on the fact that his recruiting classes aren't up to snuff. Quit acting like the UCLA game is the first and only Pelini meltdown during his tenure. It's just the latest in what has become a trend. Again, you don't understand football on any real level. You're a fukkin infantile recruiting nerd/fantasy geek/Madden junkie that can only comprehend football in superficial terms. If a 38-0 run on your home turf is ok by your standards, than that just speaks to your complete LACK of standards. Nebraska isn't supposed to be Nevada. And giving up 70 points in a conference title game and showing no ability whatsoever to be able to adjust on the fly? Apparently, that's also ok. I could go on and on. Who's to blame for Pelini's recruiting woes if Pelini himself isn't the guy? This is where you constantly go full retard. It's beyond me how you insist he gets a pass for this. And tell me some positive attributes Pelini has. What qualities make him a coach that any school would covet? Go 'head, try and answer that.....It's not a rhetorical question. USC and Texas will probably need a head coach in the very near future. Will Pelini get a phone call from either? You should be institutionalized if you think the answer is "yes." If Pelini walked tomorrow, how many teams would be clamoring for his services as a head coach? But go suck his dick anyways, because I know none of this is getting through that thick fukkin skull of yours.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?

still whining.

lol

Eddy Munny

still whining.

lol
    Still winning you mean.........this post here is basically you waving the white flag.

First 123 Last