griz
    FEB 2012 POTM
    griz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 607

Step 1: admitting your failures and short comings

I am a shitty fukkin handicapper. I do not have a system basically just pick teams I like.

I need help. Someone teach me how to fukkin gamble.

Will pay all my betpoints

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Just watch me and my spreadsheet
    Look at last few games of game matchups
    www.sbrodds.com
    injuries
    forget all ins
    2% each bet of bankroll

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

grizzly everyone here is bad at pickin winners long term...

I'm over 20K in gambling debt and stopped counting..

we are all trapped man.. god bless

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

griz, one time in the history of the universe I won a bet

today marked the first time in a long time I won TWO IN A ROW

I was actually stunned when I got 2 in a row. and this is no joke

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

have to learn to make $$$ even when you only go 50% ATS <---- that is the secret my friend

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

Just follow Mr. Markets guide to building your bankroll

Genius

RubberKettle

Seriously Griz. Go to the library, get library membership. Read books on gambling and mathematics. Take notes. Gain ideas. Repeat.

Stay off SBR when thinking about plays or looking for advice. This only propogates losing.

BWest
    BWest's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1019

One word that we all hate, discipline. Every once in awhile I don't wager for two-three days just to make sure I can step away. We are always trying to talk ourselves into a wager when we should be looking for reasons not to wager a certain team. Pick three games a day and try to rate them in order of confidence in your picks. Never wager on more than three events a day no matter what. In the beginning it is best to wait closer to game time to wager. Things change and you need to know what those changes are. Trends/stats can be the most misleading info available. Try to look at a team as a single entity. In other words, a great team may not perform great on the third consec nite in a different city. Just like an indiv., teams have moods, ups, downs and infighting. All this can dramatically effect outcomes. There are volumes of info on this topic, alot can be found on the internet. Start with pointspreads-what is the linesmaker attempting to accomplish with his line, is the line reflective of teams performance or are there other factors at work? I am not an expert but I do fairly well. Downturns are inevitable and can shake your confidence. Track your progress, it is how you spot your strengths and weaknesses. It takes a good while but you are as capable as anyone else in making this work. Best of luck
    Points Awarded:

Inkwell77 gave BWest 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: RubberKettle

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

Griz, I have been doing nicely by acknowledging the spiritual side of gambling on how supernatural forces on SBR will wreck your roll.

I also think it's imperative realize our limitations--can one capper routinely bet each sport? Not if you have a career, a fam, real bills, etc-- Upon this realization, I have narrowed down two leagues that I feel are the most beatable: MLB and NHL--what's more, one ends where the other pretty much begins. I still bet a few games here and there in FB and BB, but I have come to terms with the fact that I'll likely lose in these leagues--more of my abilities than an overall judgment about the betability of those leagues.

From there, I enjoy identifying the public perception of the game's likely outcome. For example, the public assumes that every time an Ace is on the mound, that team should and will win. However, there are plenty of indicators that an Ace will pitch below their capability and there's a profitable opportunity to bet the other side--must do it consistently to be profitable over the course of the season.

Another trend that I enjoy with betting baseball, are the hundreds of statistical sites that tell you what's really going on in games and what is likely to occur in the next game. I also feel like it's easier--again, at least for me, to recognize public perception and in good spots, bet the other way. For example, the A's, M's, Giants, and Twins, to name a few, are believed to have issues scoring and in certain situations this is true. But these teams could go on record breaking offensive streaks and the public still wouldn't catch up to the fact...leading to an easy opportunity to bet against them. Just a little into how and why I lobby for betting baseball and hockey over the others.

MendozaLine
    MendozaLine's Avatar Become A Pro!

Start paying attention to european soccer.

There is a reason limits are low.

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

it's really fukkin difficult to win. I have not figured it out, once you put 5,000 hours into learning, be it researching trends, researching line moves, reading books, it should become easier (I'm hoping).
    There are edges available, but ****, finding them is a lot of work.

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

swallow your pride and fade yourself

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

Quote Originally Posted by BWest View Post
    One word that we all hate, discipline. Every once in awhile I don't wager for two-three days just to make sure I can step away. We are always trying to talk ourselves into a wager when we should be looking for reasons not to wager a certain team. Pick three games a day and try to rate them in order of confidence in your picks. Never wager on more than three events a day no matter what. In the beginning it is best to wait closer to game time to wager. Things change and you need to know what those changes are. Trends/stats can be the most misleading info available. Try to look at a team as a single entity. In other words, a great team may not perform great on the third consec nite in a different city. Just like an indiv., teams have moods, ups, downs and infighting. All this can dramatically effect outcomes. There are volumes of info on this topic, alot can be found on the internet. Start with pointspreads-what is the linesmaker attempting to accomplish with his line, is the line reflective of teams performance or are there other factors at work? I am not an expert but I do fairly well. Downturns are inevitable and can shake your confidence. Track your progress, it is how you spot your strengths and weaknesses. It takes a good while but you are as capable as anyone else in making this work. Best of luck
    solid post.

Pete0
    --------------------
    Pete0's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Its all betw_en the lines

Take Heat 1Q and Pacers 1H.

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

The discipline required is extreme. You can get lazy when you are winning and lazier when you are losing.

Sam Odom

Pride and arrogance are killers too...

Example: Make a post with a play and say you are betting 1.5% of your bankroll and see how many losers/posters will make fun of you for betting sooooooooooo little. They forget (too dumb) to realize 1.5% could be 10.00 or 10,000.00 dollars

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15072

If you're a shitty handicapper, do what I do. I too know I suck at it, so I follow people who are good at it, use labby lines to stay disciplined, and make money. Nobody who is "barreled in" or gone broke ever bothers to do this. Weird pride thing or something.

Anyone who tells you labouchere does not work has never done it or done it wrong. Great way to go. Why spend all the time and money becoming a "good" handicapper??

KingJD31
    KingJD31's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7042

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    If you're a shitty handicapper, do what I do. I too know I suck at it, so I follow people who are good at it, use labby lines to stay disciplined, and make money. Nobody who is "barreled in" or gone broke ever bothers to do this. Weird pride thing or something.

Anyone who tells you labouchere does not work has never done it or done it wrong. Great way to go. Why spend all the time and money becoming a "good" handicapper??
    do those labby lines really work? I was gonna tail that guys thread but Im a little skeptical

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by KingJD31 View Post
    do those labby lines really work? I was gonna tail that guys thread but Im a little skeptical
    Works great if you do it right. I don't know who you're referring to, but if you keep your lines small and manageable relative to your bank account, you only have to win about 35% of the time to turn a profit. If you follow peeps that can hit 55-60%, you've really put yourself at a huge advantage.

With a $5000 bankroll, use a line like this...

15-15-10-10

And make bets as close to -110 as you can

Looks small, but you can just keep crossing off $50 lines as you go. Then after you pull in a grand or so, graduate to a 15-15-15-15 line.

And like I said in the forex thread, if that's not enough instant gratification for you, I can't help. You'll always want for money, and you'll ignore things that work for things that pay off bigger. Stick to parlay cards.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by griz View Post
    I am a shitty fukkin handicapper. I do not have a system basically just pick teams I like.

I need help. Someone teach me how to fukkin gamble.

Will pay all my betpoints
    griz there is only one way to win over the course of a million bets. taking bonuses and cross betting.

shoot me a pm if you don't know how to do this and want easy money.

Sam Odom

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post

have to learn to make $$$ even when you only go 50% ATS <---- that is the secret my friend

you only have to win about 35% of the time to turn a profit.

although Sammy Odom is not advocating for or against the labouchere or for that matter any 'System'

TRE1968
    TRE1968's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

thats what i keep trying to tell people

wtt0315
    This is the Broncos Year.
    wtt0315's Avatar Become A Pro!

ok if you are a bad handicapper this is what you do. You cap a game and you pick the side. Now log in to your book and bet the other side.

dj_destroyer
    I'm +EV
    dj_destroyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 383

Fade all big bets in Player Talk without hesitation (unless it's jj).

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

Quote Originally Posted by TRE1968 View Post
    thats what i keep trying to tell people

i don't think it's a pride thing, i think it's the fact that anyone that has gambled for 20 years+ has known at least a couple guys who have claimed martingale/labouchere/any chase system was foolproof and those same guys ended up busted. maybe a few weeks later, maybe a few years but it happens.

betting a chase system increases the % of time you hit a winning "series", but it also kicks you in the butt on a bad streak. yes labouchere can give you a 95% chance of winning a cancellation series, but it's that 5% that leaves you penniless.

mynameismud
    mynameismud's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8427

its pretty gross. sometimes throwing darts works just as well as working hard looking at trends, home/away records, weather conditions, injury report, teams win/loss record, etc. sports are so fukking unpredictable.

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    i don't think it's a pride thing, i think it's the fact that anyone that has gambled for 20 years+ has known at least a couple guys who have claimed martingale/labouchere/any chase system was foolproof and those same guys ended up busted. maybe a few weeks later, maybe a few years but it happens.

betting a chase system increases the % of time you hit a winning "series", but it also kicks you in the butt on a bad streak. yes labouchere can give you a 95% chance of winning a cancellation series, but it's that 5% that leaves you penniless.
    And that's why I keep it at the ratio stated in post #19. It's served me well for over two years now. I'll guarantee the people that lost it had their lines too high.

Again, no hard examples out there saying how it doesn't work. Just the same "if you do it long enough you'll run out of money". I've never come close.

I have always thought your bonus whoring method was intriguing. Is it becoming harder to do these days, or about the same? It does seem effective if you know what to do.

RubberKettle

The thing about martingale or labby is that not many have the discipline to stick to it.

Many people will hit a few losers and go off the deep end.

They're for the ultra disciplined only. Not a recreational gambler, which most are on this site.
    Props to Ralph for making it work though

cruzing vato
    cruzing vato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 232

start with a banroll yur comfy with.. bet a comfy amount. Then when you grow it, bet a little more, until your like whoa thats too much money...

After that go work on your lowrider.

dice
    dice's Avatar Become A Pro!

Griz, hang in there. My first piece of advice for you is that you should be a recreational gambler, don't do this for a living... you appear not to have the stomach for it. Know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em. Many will hit between 40% to 60% but most will lose their bankroll due to bad money management. Syndicates may hit as high 70% but they'll have up and down months. Have fun with this, don't depend on this for a living (if this is the case). You'll go crazy trying to figure out the holy grail to sports gambling!

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

my Penis is too big

paranoyd androyd
    paranoyd androyd's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 134523

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    grizzly everyone here is bad at pickin winners long term...

I'm over 20K in gambling debt and stopped counting..

we are all trapped man.. god bless
    there's no such thing as a gambling addiction and no one's trapped.

DOMINATER
    DOMINATER's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1180

Griz if you want to win follow me, I will start posting I will bet the games and how much I am betting thats the key. If your interested just let me know I will wait for your remarks

JohnGalt2341
    46 and 2 are just ahead of me
    JohnGalt2341's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3655

Do you have a link?

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1902

Bet on what you're good at. Also, understand bankroll management (never go all in and dump all of your money on a game).

I'm good at betting on the NFL and UFC. I suck at betting on the NBA, MLB and NHL.

For me, I stick with what I'm good at and avoid what I'm bad at. I consider myself a strategic gambler.

Anyone that bets on every sport is an imbecile and an impulsive gambler.

12 Last