stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 33754

Had to work today,just noticed the Dodger box score

What was wrong with Kershaw?
    No command? Kind of shocked to see him give up 8 hits, 3 walks and 4 runs in 5 plus innings

dodger33
    Kershnasty
    dodger33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

He had absolutely nothing today. Hung almost every off speed pitch and could not locate his fastball. If he wasn't facing the Padres it would have been a 3 inning outing for him.

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 36

Pitch Fx dont look good for the game, didn't see it, but his Fastball didn't generate much as far as swinging strikes (just 3.6% vs 7.4% for his career). The other number that jumps out is that 50% of his sliders were balls, in 2009 he 44% were balls and he walked 4/9, last year just 32% were balls and he BB rate droped to 2/9 and he made the jump to an elite pitcher.

\

Redscot
    Redscot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5784

Pitching is crazy. You ask anyone who has pitched at a high level and they will tell you that there are numerous days when they warm up and know that they don't have their best stuff. The elite pitchers find a way through these days and give there team a chance to win more times than not. I spend a lot of time trying to figure out why that is.......all things being equal physically, why are there some days that pitchers have it and others they don't? Biorythms?

dodger33
    Kershnasty
    dodger33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Quote Originally Posted by Redscot View Post
    Pitching is crazy. You ask anyone who has pitched at a high level and they will tell you that there are numerous days when they warm up and know that they don't have their best stuff. The elite pitchers find a way through these days and give there team a chance to win more times than not. I spend a lot of time trying to figure out why that is.......all things being equal physically, why are there some days that pitchers have it and others they don't? Biorythms?
    Pitching as with most things in baseball is all feel. I would say 90% of the time pitchers lose feel for a pitch or two for an outing. Sometimes like today for Kershaw you lose feel for pretty much everything and have no clue where shit is going. Like you said the great pitchers will still find a way to work through it. Given the stuff he had today I give his effort an A+.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

i know it's early in the season but this guy can't get out of 5 inning. or should i say last more than 5 innings...

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 33754

Quote Originally Posted by Redscot View Post
    I know, I was a catcher, for most of the pitchers, it's all in the head.
    Phil Hughes, million dollar arm, 10 cent brain. Dozens of similar cases.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

it's the nature of baseball

unless you're 2012 cy young winner roy halladay