View New Posts
  1. #1

    Should this sprinter be allowed to compete against able-bodied athletes?

    I know this is old news but..........Double amputee Oscar Pistorius, aka The Blade Runner. He was banned from able-bodied competitions, then the ban was overturned. To me he has an unfair advantage. Would he be as fast if he had his legs? He was 11 months old when his legs were amputated, maybe he had thick ankles, which would have given him no chance to be a sprinter.


  2. #2
    manny24's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 10-22-07
    Posts: 8,151
    Betpoints: 20
    Message Me

    seems to be more of a racial issue here i don't think they want him to compete because his legs are black.

  3. #3

    i'd say no!!!

    didn't know this was still an issue
    WHEEL
    OF
    BANISHMENT
    3/28/2014

  4. #4

    Arch, I'm making it one.

    Far as I know he has free reign to compete in disabled and able-bodied competitions.

  5. #5

    Don't those things make a spring action, possibly pushing him forward faster? Seems like a advantage.

    SBR Founder Join Date: 8/10/2005


  6. #6

  7. #7

  8. #8

    I would ask, Can the other runners use the same equipment? If not, then I would say he would have to abide by the regulations, just like everyone else.

  9. #9

    Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    Don't those things make a spring action, possibly pushing him forward faster? Seems like a advantage.
    The spring is mostly what concerns me........but also all world class sprinters have thin ankles. It would be funny if it was determined that this guy's ankles would have been thick. He could've dedicated his life to become a sprinter by training hard every day but he wouldn't become one. That would mean the blades give him an advantage over having his legs (with the thick ankles)

  10. #10

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwarrior1 View Post
    depends, is he the fastest amputee
    yes I believe he's the fastest, but in the pics I saw the other runners were single leg amputees, he's a double

  11. #11

    Quote Originally Posted by NrmlCurvSurfr View Post
    I would ask, Can the other runners use the same equipment? If not, then I would say he would have to abide by the regulations, just like everyone else.
    The other runners have their legs, how could they use blades?

  12. #12
    manny24's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 10-22-07
    Posts: 8,151
    Betpoints: 20
    Message Me

    Quote Originally Posted by sickler View Post
    yes I believe he's the fastest, but in the pics I saw the other runners were single leg amputees, he's a double
    can't fly on one spring!

  13. #13

    He has NO legs. I don't understand how having legs in a foot race is a disadvantage. He should be a hero.

  14. #14

    Quote Originally Posted by manny24 View Post
    can't fly on one spring!
    Blade runner kicked ass in this race. The other three appear to be single blades.


  15. #15

    much props to that guy..its his HEART doing the running..what determination..anyone knocking this guy is a piece of shit in my book.

  16. #16

    Quote Originally Posted by sickler View Post
    Blade runner kicked ass in this race. The other three appear to be single blades.

    Man, single blade seems to be the worst.

  17. #17

    Quote Originally Posted by mh217 View Post
    much props to that guy..its his HEART doing the running..what determination..anyone knocking this guy is a piece of shit in my book.
    Not knocking him, wondering if it's unfair to others. Remember the bionic man? Robotics, superhuman

  18. #18

    Quote Originally Posted by Masu485 View Post
    Man, single blade seems to be the worst.
    Single must be awkward,

  19. #19

  20. #20

    Quote Originally Posted by icancount2one View Post
    The vid is as seen on Comedy Central

  21. #21

    I remember 4 years ago or so when he wanted to be in the regular olympics that scientists determined the blades did give him an anfair advantage
    WHEEL
    OF
    BANISHMENT
    3/28/2014

  22. #22

    Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    I remember 4 years ago or so when he wanted to be in the regular olympics that scientists determined the blades did give him an anfair advantage
    Yes and he was banned but it was overturned

  23. #23
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 12-06-08
    Posts: 25,127
    Message Me

    Quote Originally Posted by icancount2one View Post

  24. #24

    well I guess it doesn't matter he's not fast enough anyways

    dead last in this race

    WHEEL
    OF
    BANISHMENT
    3/28/2014

  25. #25

    Arch, that was brutal. Don't know what to say

  26. #26
    rm18's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 09-20-05
    Posts: 17,153
    Betpoints: 1396
    Message Me

    Blade runner just advanced to the semifinals

    SBR Founder Join Date: 9/20/2005


  27. #27

    not fair because he will never sprain an ankle or get a calf cramp

         Ring
         Games
         Winner
         404 pts

    600pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY1st Place 4/9/2014

         Ring
         Games
         Winner
         592 pts

    250pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY4th Place 4/8/2014

         Ring
         Games
         Winner
         406 pts

    400pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY2nd Place 4/22/2014

    175 pts

    3-QUESTION
    SBR TRIVIA WINNER 04/10/2014


  28. #28

    No he shouldnt be able to compete against people with regular legs, its an unfair advantage. Just like that golfer casey martin who was allowed to ride the cart around about 10-15 years ago. Playing field has to level, sorry if someone has a disibilty but thats just the hand some people were dealt.

  29. #29
    k13's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-16-10
    Posts: 15,419
    Betpoints: 123
    Message Me

    If they allow animals to compete, should they allow animals to compete as well?

    World
    Poker
    Cup 2nd place

    110pts

    SBR POKER TOURNEY9th Place 4/22/2014


Top