Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

WTF did Obama mean when he said...

"that an unelected group of people would somehow overturn a duly constituted and passed law"

^ that ^ about the US Supreme Court authority to strike down a law

Sam Odom

those damn 'checks and balances' are a pain in the ass for a wannabe Dictator

darkhat
    darkhat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Odom View Post
    those damn 'checks and balances' are a pain in the ass for a wannabe Dictator

ericthegangster
    MARK IT ZERO!
    ericthegangster's Avatar Become A Pro!

Isn't it great fun to take quotes out of context?

"For years what we've heard is the biggest problem on the bench was judicial activism or a lack of judicial restraint -- that an unelected group of people would somehow overturn a duly constituted and passed law," Obama said.He said overturning the health care law would just such an example, "and I'm pretty confident that this court will recognize that and not take that step."

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

Sam and eric, I find it entertaining that you guys have similar but opposite avatars... Love colt combat commanders--I have two, one tricked out and one as God intended it.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10300

Sam Odom appears to be a decent man....

Inside his stomach is churning like an
    insurance agent who is only as good
    as his last sale....

Kudos on the Championship Contest!!

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

neo-dopes like odum purposefully taking quotes out of context to push their crazy agendas?

im shocked.

Points Awarded:

golfrulz gave crustyme 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

HuskerExpat gave crustyme 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: GUMMO77, and golfrulz

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

How long before odom starts another obama thread?

Under 2 minutes -3000

Over 2 minutes +2000

poor fox sheep.

Sam Odom

1st off... judicial activism is NOT striking down a law on Constitutional grounds - judicial activism is re-writing or writing into a law from the bench

2nd... Obama said striking down his ObamaCare would be just such an exampl
    e! (Example of what) that an unelected group of people would somehow overturn a duly constituted and passed law

This Obama guy has no clue how this Constitutional Republic functions

Points Awarded:

Chili_Powder gave Sam Odom 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

terpkeg
    terpkeg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2434

Quote Originally Posted by ericthegangster View Post

"For years what we've heard is the biggest problem on the bench was judicial activism or a lack of judicial restraint -- that an unelected group of people would somehow overturn a duly constituted and passed law," Obama said.He said overturning the health care law would just such an example, "and I'm pretty confident that this court will recognize that and not take that step."
    Not sure the sorrounding context changed what he was saying

Sam Odom

Quote Originally Posted by terpkeg View Post

Not sure the surrounding context changed what he was saying

It doesn't... Obama would have you think because the Supreme Court are not elected then they are lessor members of the Checks & Balances

Every bill that is passed then signed by the president is "duly constituted and passed law" so I guess the S.C shouldnt overturn any Laws

Sam Odom

Quote Originally Posted by ericthegangster View Post

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post

neo-dopes like odum purposefully taking quotes out of context

And... GUMMO77

You three need to brush-up on your reading comprehension skills

Carseller4
    Carseller4's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5045

I think Obama just put a bounty on the Supreme Court.

Sam Odom

Appeals court fires back at Obama's comments on health care case

(CBS News) In the escalating battle between the administration and the judiciary, a federal appeals court apparently is calling the president's bluff -- ordering the Justice Department to answer by Thursday whether the Obama Administration believes that the courts have the right to strike down a federal law, according to a lawyer who was in the courtroom.

The order, by a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit, appears to be in direct response to the president's comments yesterday about the Supreme Court's review of the health care law. Mr. Obama all but threw down the gauntlet with the justices, saying he was "confident" the Court would not "take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504564_1...lth-care-case/

UPDATE 6 p.m. ET: The White House is declining to comment on the 5th Circuit's order, but the president today did clarify his comments that it would be "unprecedented" for the Court to overturn laws passed by a democratically elected Congress. During a question-and-answer session after a luncheon speech in Washington, a journalist pointed out "that is exactly what the Court has done during its entire existence."

dodger33
    Kershnasty
    dodger33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 244

Let's not forget Obama appointed 2 of the 9 of these judges!

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

You three need to brush-up on your reading comprehension skills
    The irony of you telling me to brush-up on my reading comprehension skills while you still post political stuff on Players Talk.

Man, Sammy-boy, you are one sly (white) devil.

Sam Odom

I've never in my life seen anything like this... Have to go back to Andrew Jackson's admin

Sam Odom

Quote Originally Posted by GUMMO77 View Post

The irony of you telling me to brush-up on my reading comprehension skills while you still post political stuff on Players Talk.

stopping being a Mod wannabe , very childish

if the mods leave a post in PT then either pass it by or contribute - IMO

ericthegangster
    MARK IT ZERO!
    ericthegangster's Avatar Become A Pro!

I've never in my life seen anything like this... Have to go back to Andrew Jackson's admin
    How about going to war without congressional approval? That seems like a big no-no!

SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

It doesn't... Obama would have you think because the Supreme Court are not elected then they are lessor members of the Checks & Balances

Every bill that is passed then signed by the president is "duly constituted and passed law" so I guess the S.C shouldnt overturn any Laws
    Period, end of report.

I think its unamerican for a US president to make such comments while the Supreme Court decides this issue. What if Supreme Court Justices commented when congress was considering and debating the law with statements like "we are not sure if congress should pass this law, it seems unconstitutional"? Is that kosher? Of course not but the executive branch is doing that very thing.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9204

I think he would be accused of trying to pervert the course of justice if this was Australia.

Sam Odom

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post

I think its unamerican for a US president to make such comments while the Supreme Court decides this issue.

That is it! - Obama & his wife do not like America muchless love her - Why else would a person want to fundamentally change America?

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post

I think he would be accused of trying to pervert the course of justice if this was Australia.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

This is a retarded quibble. Grasping.

If only the GOP could have found a viable candidate in 4 fukkin' years, this wouldn't even be an issue.

Sam Odom

Appeals court fires back at Obama's comments on health care case

(CBS News) In the escalating battle between the administration and the judiciary, a federal appeals court apparently is calling the president's bluff -- ordering the Justice Department to answer by Thursday whether the Obama Administration believes that the courts have the right to strike down a federal law

Holder says 'courts have final say' in response to furor over Obama's health law comments

Attorney General Eric Holder acknowledged Wednesday that the "courts have final say," and said his department would respond formally to an appeals court order to explain whether the Obama administration believes judges in fact have the power to overturn federal laws.

No shit

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO

dumbfukks must not care that the supreme court is political now, instead of being what it was meant to be APOLITICAL..

Of course the sheep (fox cocksuckers) dont care about this right now, but soon the liberals will have the majority, and you will see all these old farts crying like lil bitches.

Odom can you start a new obama thread.. This one is getting old.
    Last edited by King Mayan; 04-04-12 at 11:53 AM.

uvarunthetable
    uvarunthetable's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3474

I think Obama was just saying that for years conservatives have complained that liberal judges have created law from the bench through judicial activism, but that conservatives would do the same thing by invalidating the health care law while hiding under a guise of originalism or judicial duty-- Not saying that I agree with the statement but I think that was all he was really going for
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChalkyDog

DwightShrute
    I don't believe you ... please continue
    DwightShrute's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8478

Class -By a 5-4 vote, the nation's highest court struck down the law Bush pushed through the Republican-led Congress in 2006 that took away the habeas corpus rights of the terrorism suspects to seek full judicial review of their detention."We'll abide by the court's decision. That doesn't mean I have to agree with it," Bush told a news conference in Rome.

Classless - "that an unelected group of people would somehow overturn a duly constituted and passed law" - Obama embarrassed himself again.

Living The Dream
    Looks like an Underdog Week 2!
    Living The Dream's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 761

Leave the guy alone... He is above his head and is pouting and has a idiot for a vp who isn't allowed to state any opinions without approval

ByeShea
    ByeShea's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11654

2nd... Obama said striking down his ObamaCare would be just such an example! (Example of what) that an unelected group of people would somehow overturn a duly constituted and passed law
    Obama is being very careful with his words.

He is saying that the bill was passed by a clear majority of elected representatives.

What he won't say is that the country wanted the bill. Polls ran about 60% against the bill, 30% for the bill, 10% general retards who couldn't tell a stranger either way.

But the Democrats forced it through anyway, which is why the Democratic party got its a$s kicked in 2010.

What's also not helping his case is that everyone knew they were lying as they tried to pass it anyway.

Remember how they said the price tag would be @ $940 billion? Well, surprise surprise, that number has been since revised upwards to $1.6 trillion over the next 10 years ... some think it will be over $2 trillion: http://campaign2012.washingtonexamin...doubled/427326

Obama will be visiting Putin in 2013 as a private citizen. He will have all the flexibility in the world.

FrozenMAN
    2020 Big Ten CHAMPS!
    FrozenMAN's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4112

how is this any different then what he's been syaing for 3 years now???? he's the dumbest person out there yet leads this country.....unless you're black I simply can't see how ANYONE would vote for him....simpy cant, it blows my mind morons at work are like WOOO MSNBC WOOO OBAMMY!

BLOWS MY MO FUCKIN MIND!!!

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21677

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post
    Period, end of report.

I think its unamerican for a US president to make such comments while the Supreme Court decides this issue. What if Supreme Court Justices commented when congress was considering and debating the law with statements like "we are not sure if congress should pass this law, it seems unconstitutional"? Is that kosher? Of course not but the executive branch is doing that very thing.
    All due respect, it's not the same thing. He's in the midst of a campaign and he's not supposed to respond to questions about important legislation and policy that happens to be in front of the court. What Obama said has zero effect on the court's result either way. He's entitled to state his opinion and one should expect that he would state it.

Now if he said I don't care what the result is, I'm going to ignore the ruling and enforce the law anyway, motherfuckas, then that's different.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

sam odom : o'reilly :: dad : tori black

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    sam odom : o'reilly :: dad : tori black

Cougar Bait
    2010 Poster of the Year
    Cougar Bait's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3289

This Obama guy has no clue how this Constitutional Republic functions

Sure he does, that's why he is trying to turn public sentiment against the court. Pit one against the other, it's all by design.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ChalkyDog

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar Bait View Post
    Sure he does, that's why he is trying to turn public sentiment against the court. Pit one against the other, it's all by design.
    The SC takes public sentiment seriously, not as much as congress, but it plays a huge roll.

12 Last