PickWinnerAllDay
    I'd never gamble again for Taylor Swift
    PickWinnerAllDay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Shaka can flounder in the CAA: Now Illini fans want Buzz Williams!

Illinois can spend. If Illinois offers to double Buzz Williams' salary, I don't see him saying no to stay with Marquette for these reasons:

Buzz Williams doesn't pretend to have 'integrity' like Shaka seems to call it.
    The Big East is a little unstable with the loss of two of their top programs.
    Some rumors Buzz Williams is not happy with some Marquette board members.
    Marquette's profit margins are razor thin so I doubt they will be able to match Illinois' offer.

I really hope those 2 racist prikks on the trustee board who are insisting on a black head coach will rest now considering they threw a ton of money at a black head coach and he turned it down to stay in the god awful CAA (2 elite CAA teams lost to Mercer in the last few nights, embarrassing)

PickWinnerAllDay

The only downfall with Buzz Williams is that this could be a Bill Self situation waiting to happen. He is very high on the Illinois job in general but his dream job is Texas so if Texas becomes available in a couple of years, he'll bolt Illinois/Marquette or wherever he is at.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Why would Buzz Williams leave Marquette for Illinois?

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Shows what a GREAT job Illinois is, They have to double guys salaries, B4 coaches will think about leaving their current positions @INFERIOR programs.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: yisman

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10214

Ill hoops< CAA

buzz cut> Lou Doooo

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Why would Buzz Williams leave Marquette for Illinois?

Its probably slightly a better job. There is also more stability in Big 10 basketball than Big East basketball going forward.

Why wouldn't he leave Marquette for more money?

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Shows what a GREAT job Illinois is, They have to double guys salaries, B4 coaches will think about leaving their current positions @INFERIOR programs.
    Illinois is a top job, but several coaches seem to think it is one of the most difficult top jobs out there considering the coaches in the Big 10, the problems with recruiting Chicago against Anthony Davis getting paid to go elsewhere, fans expectations, etc.

Mr. Doughnut
    Mr. Doughnut's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1778

When are you going to get this through your little head--Illinois basketball is not a "TOP" job!

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

why wasnt this clown banned for trying to scam posters yesterday?

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doughnut View Post
    When are you going to get this through your little head--Illinois basketball is not a "TOP" job!
    Sure it isn't... When Weber was signed, he was the most sought after coach at the time. Just like Shaka is now. The only difference is, Shaka is afraid of big boy basketball like Mark Few.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by crustyme View Post
    why wasnt this clown banned for trying to scam posters yesterday?

We see that confused look from you a lot. The reality is, you get confused trying to put your panties on in the morning. Getting your legs into the holes just boggles your mind.

RoadDog
    I'm not negative, I'm a realist
    RoadDog's Avatar Become A Pro!

I've been trying to tell this kid that Illinois isnt a top job for weeks. He'll get the picture when they hire a high school coach.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

how is illinois a "slightly better job"?

illinois has made the ncaa tournament twice in the last 5 years, marquette each of the last 7

they both have great traditions, fans, and attendance

but marquette is right in downtown milwaukee and illinois is in the middle of nowhere

i would give the nod to marquette at this point, of course there is always some ebb and flow in ncaa hoops

RoadDog

Champaign is honestly the worst place in the world. It's like a third world country. I went there once to visit a friend and I'll never go back. Kinda like Shaka.

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by milwaukee mike View Post
    how is illinois a "slightly better job"?

illinois has made the ncaa tournament twice in the last 5 years, marquette each of the last 7

they both have great traditions, fans, and attendance

but marquette is right in downtown milwaukee and illinois is in the middle of nowhere

i would give the nod to marquette at this point, of course there is always some ebb and flow in ncaa hoops

Much rather play/coach at Marquette than Illinois....And it seems like lots of Chicago kids would rather play there too.

And agree with RoadDog, Champaign sucks.

milwaukee mike
    milwaukee mike's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7585

illinois campus was doing some good things when i visited last summer, half of the football stadium was torn up switching from benches to chairs, and right next door the workout facility/pool was really nice

right across the street from that stuff there was a big crane of some sort pounding something into the ground, kept making this loud "tink" "tink" and my son couldn't stop laughing about the silly noise that giant equipment was making

RoadDog

Dont get me wrong, the area surroudning Marquette is no treat, but Champaign might as well be hell.

Brock Landers
    Forever in Debt to your Priceless Advice
    Brock Landers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8792

Quote Originally Posted by RoadDog View Post
    Dont get me wrong, the area surroudning Marquette is no treat, but Champaign might as well be hell.
    total nonsense

isotopes
    isotopes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

Buzz isn't going to leave a program where he has a legitimate shot of winning a national title in the next couple of years to go somewhere that he has to rebuild. Marquette is a top flight program right now, they are at the top of the Big East and get tons of national attention, would shock me if he left.

A realistic coach you guys should go after is Stan Heath, he has been doing an incredible job at USF

PickWinnerAllDay

some people are so bitter with their personal vendettas.

Buzz Williams thinks very highly of the Illinois job. Just something to consider. And if near area kids love Marquette so much, why are most of their players 3 star recruits from random ass places nowhere near the midwest?

PickWinnerAllDay

2011-12 Marquette Golden Eagles
    NO NAME POS HT WT CLASS HOMETOWN
    0 Jamil Wilson F 6-7 220 SO Racine, WI
    1 Darius Johnson-Odom G 6-2 215 SR Raleigh, NC
    2 Vander Blue G 6-4 200 SO Madison, WI
    4 Todd Mayo G 6-3 190 FR Huntington, WV
    5 Junior Cadougan G 6-1 205 JR Toronto, ON
    10 Juan Anderson F 6-6 210 FR Oakland, CA
    22 Jamail Jones F 6-6 210 SO Atlanta, GA
    32 Jae Crowder F 6-6 235 SR Villa Rica, GA
    33 Derrick Wilson G 6-1 215 FR Anchorage, AK
    54 Davante Gardner F 6-8 290 SO Suffolk, VA

Chicago kids love playing at Marquette, huh? Where are they? Weber has done a terrible job in Chicago and still has a couple.

PickWinnerAllDay

2011-12 Illinois Fighting Illini
    NO NAME POS HT WT CLASS HOMETOWN
    0 Sam Maniscalco G 6-0 180 SR Chicago, IL
    1 D.J. Richardson G 6-3 195 JR Peoria, IL
    2 Joseph Bertrand G 6-5 195 SO Sterling, IL
    3 Brandon Paul G 6-4 200 JR Gurnee, IL
    12 Meyers Leonard C 7-1 245 SO Robinson, IL
    13 Tracy Abrams G 6-1 185 FR Chicago, IL
    15 Mike Shaw F 6-8 230 FR Chicago, IL
    20 Myke Henry G-F 6-6 230 FR Chicago, IL
    21 Devin Langford G-F 6-7 200 FR Huntsville, AL
    23 Ibby Djimde F-C 6-8 250 FR --
    25 Jean Selus G 6-2 195 SR Montreal, PQ
    32 Nnanna Egwu F-C 6-11 245 FR Chicago, IL
    42 Tyler Griffey F 6-8 230 JR Wildwood, MO
    44 Kevin Berardini G 6-0 175 SO Lake Forest, IL

PickWinnerAllDay

Abrams, Henry, Shaw, Egwu is a nice little freshman group that the new coach will have to build on. Can't forget that those are all top 100 recruits and all are from Chicago so it isn't like Illinois can't pull the 2nd tier from Chicago. They're not going to get the Anthony Davis' or Jabari Parker when other schools are paying them money to come there but you act like Marquette is dipping into the Chicago market when they're not. Chicago kids don't dream of playing at Marquette. If they are Anthony Davis or Derrick Rose they go wherever Calipari will pay them and get them ready in one year for the NBA. If they are guys like Henry, Abrams, Shaw, Egwu, they come to Illinois.

RoadDog

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Landers View Post
    total nonsense
    The place sucks. I'm a city boy. That place is my nightmare.

PickWinnerAllDay

The place sucks. I'm a city boy. That place is my nightmare.
    you're a moronnnnn

PickWinnerAllDay

Besides Steve Taylor, I can't even find a top 100 recruit going to Marquette.

Buzz Williams has overachieved with that squad... Illinois could definitely draw in better prospects.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21593

I think Buzz would take it, but I think come hell or high water Illinois is going to hire a black coach.

RoadDog

Quote Originally Posted by PickWinnerAllDay View Post
    you're a moronnnnn
    I'm the moron? You're the one that was so sure you'd land Shaka (you loved him so much, the way you gushed over him was like the way I gushed over Britney Spears when I was 14, now you absolutely hate the guy). Moreover, you're the one that thinks Champaign isnt a hell-hole.

If I remember correctly I was the one that told you there was no chance in hell Shaka would go to to Illinois.

So lets do the math. You fought me tooth and nail that Shaka would come to Illinois. -1 for you. You think Champaign is a good place to live. -2 for you. You gushed over Shaka like a 14 year old then after he made his decision you think he's a pile of shit. -3 for you.

You must have a loose definition of "moron"

Mr. Doughnut
    Mr. Doughnut's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1778

I'm the moron? You're the one that was so sure you'd land Shaka (you loved him so much, the way you gushed over him was like the way I gushed over Britney Spears when I was 14, now you absolutely hate the guy). Moreover, you're the one that thinks Champaign isnt a hell-hole.

If I remember correctly I was the one that told you there was no chance in hell Shaka would go to to Illinois.

So lets do the math. You fought me tooth and nail that Shaka would come to Illinois. -1 for you. You think Champaign is a good place to live. -2 for you. You gushed over Shaka like a 14 year old then after he made his decision you think he's a pile of shit. -3 for you.

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding! We have ourselves a winner!

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

Sorry, just off the top of my head, I don't remember any "high" recruits going to illinois.

The last I could think of was Dee Brown, and I don't even know how good he was ranked outta high school. Other than that most high recruits from Chicago go to different states.

So sorry for being wrong.

CMNoney
    CMNoney's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6389

Illinois is not a top job.

5th best job in the Big Ten at best.

You have to seriously overachieve just to win a Conference Championship there.

Buzz Williams would be a fantastic hire for the Illini, doubt they can get him though.

PickWinnerAllDay

You guys are seriously crazy.

Illinois has blown Marquette out of the water the last 3 years in recruiting classes.

The fact they had a moronic coach that refused to change his offense and refused to play zone even ONE play even when his defenders weren't especially good man to man doesn't mean the Illinois job sucks. IT means Bruce Weber sucks.

Illinois is a better job than Marquette. If Marquette is such a good program, wouldn't some top 100 recruits be interested in them?

The fact Buzz Williams has done a helluva lot more with 3 star recruits than Illinois has done with 4 star recruits speaks to how bad Bruce Weber is.

PickWinnerAllDay

I said 3 months ago that Shaka Smart would be at the top of Illinois' wish list.

I was right about that.

I never made a guarantee that Shaka Smart would say yes to the Illini. It was 50/50 all along so how am I a moron?

We will see what happens... I'd like for Marquette to lose tonight so that Illinois can make an offer and see where Buzz Williams stands. I do know however that Buzz Williams is high on the Illinois job and if they offer him a decent raise he will at the very least strongly consider it. It is a better job and that is demonstrated by them getting much higher ranked recruits consistently. The fact they had a coach that couldn't coach and make those recruits good players doesn't change the nature of the program.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by ngates815 View Post
    Sorry, just off the top of my head, I don't remember any "high" recruits going to illinois.

The last I could think of was Dee Brown, and I don't even know how good he was ranked outta high school. Other than that most high recruits from Chicago go to different states.

So sorry for being wrong.
    They've had 7 or 8 top 100 recruits in the last 3 years. Is top 100 not high enough for you? There are thousands of D1 basketball players so being in the top 100 in a class is pretty impressive.

PickWinnerAllDay

Quote Originally Posted by CMNoney View Post
    Illinois is not a top job.

5th best job in the Big Ten at best.

You have to seriously overachieve just to win a Conference Championship there.

Buzz Williams would be a fantastic hire for the Illini, doubt they can get him though.
    Excuse me for ignoring you on basketball when you say Derrick Rose isn't good and pine on Rubio like a former lover.

12 Last