Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Pretty impressed with this MLS showing on ESPN2...

Didn't think Americans had it in them. Remarkable. Portland must really enjoy soccer.

stuntin909
    stuntin909's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 200

impressive fukking atmosphere.

league is definitely growing away from the mickey mouse reputation it used to have.

Inkwell77
    Inkwell77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2413

Sick sick goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is what good soccer players do, boys! Finish.

BlueHell
    BlueHell's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 78

Timbers Army was impressive as hell.

BigTimeWinner
    BigTimeWinner's Avatar Become A Pro!

yeah I must agree that the atmosphere was quite good.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

mls is really good in some cities.

it works in:

1. canada
    2. cities with a lot of foreigners
    3. cities who have nothing else

i have to admit the play is getting better every year, i think they plan on adding 1 one more for an even 20 and thats all they can do really.

pittsburgh has come up in expansion a few times, but i dont see how it would really work here.

i could see this reaching the nhls popularity possibly someday, dont see it ever being on par with the nfl nba or mlb.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

How do you cap MLS? Wish I knew...

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    makes 2 of us unfortunately i try tho

camelbreath$
    camelbreath$'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6575

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Didn't think Americans had it in them. Remarkable. Portland must really enjoy soccer.
    If you have a chance to go to any of the soccer specific stadiums, the atmosphere is amazing. As a person who grew up attending Bundesliga games and World Cup matches, I did not expect much. But seeing the passion of the Timbers Army and the Sons of Ben in Philadelphia, and also the beauty of the Red Bulls Arena really makes me happy for the future of soccer in America. The main problem for early MLS was that they were trying to host games in 60,000 person stadiums, and the energy was killed by the stadium being 2/3 empty. Now that they have built downtown arenas to be filled to capacity with raucous fans, it has really taken off in some cities.

cogiditopapa
    The happy one!
    cogiditopapa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9965

The addition of quite of few central and south American players and some players from Europe each year is prompts to good soccer games in the MLS.

cogiditopapa
    The happy one!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Easy.. read news and game previous at the MLS site, this place is full of great content for each game. It won't be long at all before you will be able to predict a win and over or the under in this league, if you do well capping games in Europe, you will do great in MLS.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I notice some good crowd support with these games
    Betting not bad either

Sunde91
    Sunde91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

here's who cares about MLS:

1) hipsters/liberals who want to be cultured and feel unique for following a sport no one else gives a fuk about in the US. Portland and Seattle full to brim with these, not a coincidence MLS teams are extremely popular there

2) Immigrants/Mexicans who follow Galaxy and Chivas

cogiditopapa
    The happy one!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunde91 View Post

1) hipsters/liberals who want to be cultured and feel unique for following a sport no one else gives a fuk about in the US. Portland and Seattle full to brim with these, not a coincidence MLS teams are extremely popular there

I respect you opinion however I don't share the same thinking. GL

camelbreath$
    camelbreath$'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6575

Quote Originally Posted by Sunde91 View Post

Completely wrong. Go to a NY Red Bulls or Philadelphia Union game. Half the crowd is also comprised of Wall Street yuppies and guido fukkbags.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

MLS is still in full-blown expanding mode and it negatively affects play mid to late season.
    Teams are worn down because they're playing in several non-league tournaments and it
    presents some great betting opportunities for gamblers and frustration for reg. spectators.
    I bet MLS last year and took a lot of home dogs and played the draw lines against favored road
    teams. Most MLS teams consist of two real teams. The team that plays superb at home
    and the other, who is completely horrendous on the road i.e Houston. Often, the effort
    is so out of balance that there's no good explanation for the change up in play, other than
    guys are just playing half-ass.

Also, Portland is an ideal city for MLS because it is a hipster metropolis. Fun city, but god damn
    hipsters are annoying. On a Saturday afternoon, you can grab a beer on 23rd and see walking
    abstract art. I have never seen so many people dress like clowns.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

3. cities who have nothing else = Oregon as a whole.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

ummm...you have no clue. Oregonians love their blazers! Portland is a great city and highly underrated in terms of food, entertainment, drink, and all things odd.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Oregon is full of hippies, loggers, and environmentalists. Sports is a break from either cutting trees, hugging a tree, or smoking trees.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Duff85

sportfan
    sportfan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4437

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Oregon is full of hippies, loggers, and environmentalists. Sports is a break from either cutting trees, hugging a tree, or smoking trees.

CanuckG
    CanuckG's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 584

whitecaps game up here in Vancouver have picked up too good crowd love it

MoreWaysThanOne
    MoreWaysThanOne's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    AS soon as I saw this thread title I knew exactly what you were talking about. Someone will find the anthem they sang offensive somewhere though.

eleuropeano
    eleuropeano's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1924

Soccer will take over America. It's bound to happen. It's just too much magic in the sport. It is a slow process, but it is irreversible. If you look at the progress since soccer took off in America (after the world cup 1994), the growth is amazing. The next big step will be when the US gets the World Cup again. Unfortunately between the corruption scandals around Salt Lake City 2002 (and the subsequent tacit agreement to not award the US major sporting events for a while) and Qatar's own corruption efforts to bring in the 2024 WC, it would be a while, but it would happen eventually. It is bound to happen.

Here are the 3 main reasons that make soccer great:

1. It is more about skill than physical attributes: Unlike other sports, where you have to have certain physical attributes to play the sport, in soccer you can be a 5 foot meatball like Maradona or a 7 foot stick like Crouch, you can still play the sport. In what other sport a team of super talented midgets (FC Barcelona) can dominate? This is why soccer is becoming the most popular sport for kids.

2. That 1 goal: I've heard Americans complain that the main problem with soccer is that it is a low scoring sport. I think actually this is the main reason why it is the most popular sport in the world. There is just so much emotion packed into every single goal, just because you know it might be enough for the win. But then again, it is also likely that it isn't. You just never know. And that's what makes it fun and emotional to watch.

3. No time outs: A whole soccer game is less than 2 hours, and more than 90 minutes of those are actual play. For as much as I love college ball, I just can't stand those TV timeouts every 4 minutes.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: RubberKettle