jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Federer says confidence loss cost him major titles

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP)—Roger Federer suspects he knows why he hasn’t been able to add to his record 16 Grand Slam titles the last two years.
    The Swiss great last won a major championship at the 2010 Australian Open. He insists this has nothing to do with a declining game but “a bit of confidence not on my side and on my opponent’s side.”

“I’ve had some tough losses over the past couple of years,” Federer said, without referring to any specific matches.
    Federer is ranked No. 3 and is joined in the field by No. 1 Novak Djokovic and No. 4 Andy Murray for the Dubai Championships, which start Monday.
    Having broken Pete Sampras’ mark of 14 Grand Slam singles titles, Federer missed breaking the American’s 286-week reign at No. 1 by a single week.
    “It would be great having that record but my life is very much OK without it, too,” Federer said. “Pete is a good friend and was an amazing champion for our game. I don’t need to break every record he has. I came so close and I could have chased it if I had wanted to. I didn’t choose to.”
    Federer still believes he can return to No. 1, however, noting that he has won three titles in the past four months—the most recent in Rotterdam this month.
    “I feel if I play really well until the U.S. Open, then obviously there is a shot. But then again there is a shot for about 10 players,” Federer said. “I am aware I’m not the only one. But I feel like I’m on a good run right now. I’ve won a lot of tournaments in a short time, which gives me a lot of confidence.”

gregm
    gregm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 121

This is confidence. When you are down two match points and you have a look on your face like Novak has at the 3 and 14 second mark here facing defeat. Raising your arms to the crowd and you are still facing match point. There has never been a guy with a return game in tennis like Djokovic.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: face

jjgold

I was sick here

Fed should of won

His skills are still top level which is amazing although he tightens up against the top level players

Everything still going right for Joker including this years Aussie Open, wins every fukkin big point

Sportsbetting123
    Sportsbetting123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

Even a guy with that many titles can lose confidence every so often. When the great players are that close in overall talent, that can definitely make a difference.

jjgold

Fed really the last 14 months has been very sharp and like he said some tough loses

You can see against guys like Nadal he is not confident.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

i want to see a federer djoker grand slam final, last one was 2007 u.s. open and federer won

YEAR EVENT WINNER SECOND
    2012 Australian Novak Djokovic Rafael Nadal
    2011 US Open Novak Djokovic Rafael Nadal
    2011 Wimbledon Novak Djokovic Rafael Nadal
    2011 French Rafael Nadal Roger Federer
    2011 Australian Novak Djokovic Andy Murray
    2010 US Open Rafael Nadal Novak Djokovic
    2010 Wimbledon Rafael Nadal Tomas Berdych
    2010 French Rafael Nadal Robin Soderling
    2010 Australian Roger Federer Andy Murray
    2009 US Open Juan Martin del Potro Roger Federer
    2009 Wimbledon Roger Federer Andy Roddick
    2009 French Roger Federer Robin Soderling
    2009 Australian Rafael Nadal Roger Federer
    2008 US Open Roger Federer Andy Murray
    2008 Wimbledon Rafael Nadal Roger Federer
    2008 French Rafael Nadal Roger Federer
    2008 Australian Novak Djokovic Jo-Wilfried Tsonga
    2007 US Open Roger Federer Novak Djokovic
    2007 Wimbledon Roger Federer Rafael Nadal
    2007 French Rafael Nadal Roger Federer
    2007 Australian Roger Federer Fernando Gonzalez
    2006 US Open Roger Federer Andy Roddick
    2006 Wimbledon Roger Federer Rafael Nadal
    2006 French Rafael Nadal Roger Federer
    2006 Australian Roger Federer Marcos Baghdatis
    2005 U.S. Open Roger Federer Andre Agassi
    2005 Wimbledon Roger Federer Andy Roddick
    2005 French Rafael Nadal Mariano Puerta
    2005 Australian Marat Safin Lleyton Hewitt
    2004 US Open Roger Federer Lleyton Hewitt
    2004 Wimbledon Roger Federer Andy Roddick
    2004 French Gaston Gaudio Guillermo Coria
    2004 Australian Roger Federer Marat Safin
    2003 US Open Andy Roddick Juan Carlos Ferrero
    2003 Wimbledon Roger Federer Mark Philippoussist
    Last edited by face; 02-27-12 at 08:04 AM.

jjgold

Hopefully we will see it

I am watching tennis heavy already

Big tourney this week

baskets
    Poster of the Month Twice a Month
    baskets's Avatar Become A Pro!

nadal

end thread

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Unless Fed is given the help of some very kind tournament organisers when they're doing the draw, I'd be surprised if he even made it to a Slam Final again. Can't see how he's going to suddenly pick it up again when the others are improving constantly and know how to capitalise on his many errors. It's one thing to win a 500 in Rotterdam... another to win a Slam. Notice how Roger didn't even mention having a chance at the French? The tournament jj was yipping about him being so dominant on the surface a few weeks ago in an Aussie Open thread? It's over.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by shari91 View Post
    Unless Fed is given the help of some very kind tournament organisers when they're doing the draw, I'd be surprised if he even made it to a Slam Final again. Can't see how he's going to suddenly pick it up again when the others are improving constantly and know how to capitalise on his many errors. It's one thing to win a 500 in Rotterdam... another to win a Slam. Notice how Roger didn't even mention having a chance at the French? The tournament jj was yipping about him being so dominant on the surface a few weeks ago in an Aussie Open thread? It's over.

He won 2 weeks ago hun, beat an upcoming monster in Del Potro in finals who won yesterday
    Your out of the game now so let us daily circuit followers make the comments

ok hun????

shari91
    shari91's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1689

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post

He won 2 weeks ago hun, beat an upcoming monster in Del Potro in finals who won yesterday
    Your out of the game now so let us daily circuit followers make the comments

ok hun????
    He won in Rotterdam. In a field of 32 with no Djokovic, Nadal or Murray. In a best of 3 set competition. Good job on him for beating an "upcoming monster" in a 500 tourney. How about he starts to beat the monsters that currently exist? Oh wait... he can't any more and that was my point.

jjgold

Shari BACK OFF

I have followed tennis way before you
    I was hitting balls against 40 ft walls before you were born
    Brought up with wooden rackets and slazenger balls

usernametaken
    usernametaken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 892

This confidence thing applies to Tiger Woods as well. Before he was a great putter. Now he is a poor putter. Mostly mental.

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia
    MagicDiceFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!

I would lay -170 that Federer will not win another slam this year. For one, Nadal is starting to return back to championship form again and his confidence will increase more when he wins the French this year. I think Murray has a better chance of winning a slam this year than Fed. Fed's backhand is on a gradual decline and has become inconsistent.....once a potent weapon for him.

jjgold

Fed has not lost much skill
    I think most of his loses the last 14 months were against the top 2 players
    Majority of his loses the last few years were Nadal or Joker
    Maybe a few davis cup matches
    tsonga twice
    I think he lost on clay a few times

2012Major events13-3

2011Major events64-12

2010Major events66-13

2009Major events61-12

2008Major events67-16

baskets

in reality, he's fine.

however, if he faces Nadal in a slam.... well, you might need a high-powered crane to pull Rafa's d*ck out of Roger's ass. Fed can't beat him. however, Fed can beat anybody else on any given day on any surface

problem is he might be "Nadal'd" in his draws. and if Fed is on Djoker's side, then he can beat Djoker... but then gets punched by Rafa.

this is the problem. so you just need a draw where Djoker (or someone else) can take care of Rafa .... but with Djoker/Rafa at 1 and 2... this is a hard situation. moreover, if Fed had beaten Rafa in AO, he could've taken over the 2 spot by the FO.... enabling him to avoid Rafa.... if the draw makers saw fit to put Djoker and Rafa on the same side

really, that's what I was rooting for. A fed win so we could get Djoker/Rafa in the FO semis... and then a classic Djoker/Fed in the FO final

mikew
    mikew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 720

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    His skills are still top level which is amazing although he tightens up against the top level players
    understatement of the century?
    its literally painful to watch federer play nadal. you just watch a guy get mentally owned time after time. and yet they still hung nadal as the underdog in the AO.. guess the books were feeling generous

baskets

how about Djoker +180 and Nadal the fave in FO

no respect

Rafa's anus belong to Djoker. END OF STORY!!!

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by MagicDiceFlow View Post
    I would lay -170 that Federer will not win another slam this year. For one, Nadal is starting to return back to championship form again and his confidence will increase more when he wins the French this year. I think Murray has a better chance of winning a slam this year than Fed. Fed's backhand is on a gradual decline and has become inconsistent.....once a potent weapon for him.
    You gotta lay at least -200, most places -220 to get something on Fed not winning a Major this year. I think it's a tough bet to make this early in the year. Not that I necessarily disagree ... but injuries, etc. over the course of a season can open up things real quick. It would obviously take a near perfect storm for him to win the French again. I don't think you can discount him at Wimbledon or the US Open. All just depends on draws, injuries, dumb luck. The one thing Roger has done better than most is schedule himself to not be worn down. I think Rafa has gotten better, but Djokovic is going to face the challenge this year with so many points/titles to defend - is he smart enough to sit down some of those events and not worry about it to focus on winning the important ones?

jjgold

I do not think Raffy wins a major
    I think his health can go at anytime the way he plays

One of these times Fed is going to beat these two in a big tourney

baskets

JJ, Fed can beat Djoker at any time. Every time they play he can win.

Rafa is the problem. It all comes down to the draw. The crazy thing is that if Rafa had never appeared, Fed would've wreaked absolute havoc on the tennis world and won nearly 30 majors.... with 5 FO's for himself. It would be crazy.

CaliSwag818
    BET BIG WIN BIG!
    CaliSwag818's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 83

Fed will make it to another Finals no doubt. He is slowing down tho. Since he has "family matters" now. twins

innn
    innn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6470

Fed will make it to no other Finals
    'nuff said even Dolgopolov is better than this guy now

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9617

he needs to gain about 5 pounds and get stronger

MagicDiceFlow
    blinded by nostalgia
    MagicDiceFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliSwag818 View Post
    Fed will make it to another Finals no doubt. He is slowing down tho. Since he has "family matters" now. twins

No one is doubting that he'll make it to another slam finals......its WINNING another slam this year which is a big difference especially when you have to beat Djoko & Nadal in the same tournament.

CaliSwag818
    BET BIG WIN BIG!
    CaliSwag818's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 83

Quote Originally Posted by innn View Post
    Fed will make it to no other Finals
    'nuff said even Dolgopolov is better than this guy now

Dolgopolov? ill bet my betpoints that Dickgopolov wont make it to a QF/SF tourney that Fed is in.

Dolgopolov barely won his 1st round aussie open

BernardMadoff
    Sam Hurd +3000
    BernardMadoff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 280

Fed dont just tighten up against top level players but against any player thats playing well and beating him. I saw him tighten up against Davydenko a few years ago at a major and against Haas, but both of those players got tight themselves and gave the match away.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by baskets View Post
    JJ, Fed can beat Djoker at any time. Every time they play he can win.

Rafa is the problem. It all comes down to the draw. The crazy thing is that if Rafa had never appeared, Fed would've wreaked absolute havoc on the tennis world and won nearly 30 majors.... with 5 FO's for himself. It would be crazy.
    Its strange how Fed can bet Joker or at least matchup welll

Line on average would be Fed -110 all the time

He is scared of Nadal