jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Did Whitney Houston Die Broke??

Never knew she did not write her own songs which greatly reduces revenues
    If you really read article it is quite possible she does not have much left
    I am sure now money will come in from record sales for the daughter to be ok
    Coke dented it but I do not think that was main reason she did not have much left

How Much Was Whitney Houston Worth When She Died?

Tue., Feb. 14, 2012 6:15 AM PST by Natalie Finn, Baker Machado and Claudia Rosenbaum

Ron Galella/WireImage
    Didn't she almost have it all?
    Whitney Houston sold more than 200 million albums and singles, and she had 11 No. 1 songs—including, of course, "I Will Always Love You," which spent 14 weeks on top. The Bodyguard won the Grammy for Album of the Year and remains the best-selling soundtrack of all time.
    The pioneering diva commanded a $10 million paycheck for The Preacher's Wife in 1995. She signed a then-record $100 million contract with Arista Records in 2001. Her 2010 Nothing but Love tour grossed $36 million.
    But the superlatively talented artist also went through a messy divorce and spent years battling addiction to drugs and alcohol.
    So, in the end, how much of that fortune remained when she died Saturday?
    MORE: Whitney Houston's Body Arrives in New Jersey as Family Plans Funeral
    "There were certainly rumors that Whitney Houston died broke and she didn't have any significant financial impact in the last couple years of her life," Forbes writer Zack O'Malley Greenburg tells E! News. "It's been a while since she has put out an album and been on tour, so one could see why towards the end of her life she would be running a bit low on cash."
    The financial magazine estimates the most lucrative period of Houston's career to be between 1993 and 1994, when the Bodyguard soundtrack was blowing up and she earned $33 million—enough to rank her behind only Oprah Winfrey and Barbra Streisand on Forbes' list of the highest earning female entertainers at the time.
    But apparently nine-figure sums, let alone measly eight-figure sums, can be blown through more easily than one might think. And it's sadly conceivable that the erratic behavior that ultimately ravaged Houston's once-incomparable voice may have laid waste to her bank account, as well.
    GALLERY: Whitney Houston: Great Performances

"To gross $36 million [on tour], her cut was probably $10-15 million," Greenburg said. "Then you pay taxes on that and you pay your agent, your manager…and you are left with close to $5 million and that is something that you could burn through quickly when you are used to getting $100 million dollar record contracts."
    The Huffington Post is quoting a label insider, meanwhile, who claimed that Houston "was broke" and that her label was advancing her money—and "had been [for] quite some time."
    If that was the case, settling debts could end up being first and foremost on her estate's agenda.
    PlayWhitney Houston Funeral Plans Revealed
    PlayWhitney Houston's Funeral Arrangements
    Play"Anderson" Peek 2/20

Property records show that Houston had approximately $2.85 million worth of real estate in her name in the form of two homes in New Jersey, one of which was nearly auctioned out from under her in 2006. Daughter Bobbi Kristina has listed her address as an Atlanta townhouse that was purchased in 2007 for $509,875.
    MORE: After Whitney's death, is Clive Davis' pre-Grammys party doomed?
    Her mom and dad sold the 8,200-square-foot Georgia home featured on Being Bobby Brown following their divorce in 2007. Houston also a house in Florida for $1.35 million back in 2005.
    So, should the real question be how much does Houston stand to make in death? Michael Jackson's financial debacles were tabloid fodder for years before his shocking demise, and now his estate is seemingly flush with posthumous earnings.
    Sony Music, which owns the rights to Houston's vast catalog , including the Bodyguard soundtrack, is understandably planning an aggressive marketing campaign to broaden awareness of Houston's repertoire among new generations of download-happy fans. (Shortly after her death, the label upped the basic track price on her iTunes songs from 99 cents to $1.29. Regardless, fans have been grabbing her tracks in huge numbers.)
    The label did the same thing when Jackson died, posthumously selling more than 35 million albums worldwide.
    That sounds promising for Houston's estate, doesn't it?
    MORE: Whitney Houston's Last Big Hit? The Grammys
    Well, unlike Jackson, Houston did not write her biggest hits and does not have a share of the publishing, exponentially decreasing her cut of any sales revenue.
    In fact, Dolly Parton, who wrote "I Will Always Love You," owns the song and, if the cover shooting to the top of the iTunes singles chart just hours after Houston's death is any indicator, she stands poised to cash in all over again. (Fun fact: Elvis Presley wanted to record the ballad late in his career, but his people wanted to buy it and Parton wasn't sellin'.)
    "When Whitney did it, I got all the money for the publishing and for the writing, and I bought a lot of cheap wigs," Parton quipped to CNN's Anderson Cooper in an interview last month.
    Sony chief creative officer Clive Davis, who pretty much discovered Houston when she was a teenager, also stands to profit mightily should her music go on a selling spree, as he executive-produced her first three mega-hit albums— Whitney Houston, Whitney and I'm Your Baby Tonight—as well as her final effort, 2009's I Look To You. He is also credited as a producer on 1998's My Love Is Your Love.
    Of course, Forbes' Greenburg notes, "selling 200 million records, [even] for someone without any publishing royalties, that is still at least a quarter of a billion dollars in earnings."
    And we have a feeling the true state of Houston's affairs will be public knowledge before too long

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

Really none of our business if she did or didn't... she sounds like an sbr poster if she died broke and alone

jjgold

I am sure that guy that discovered Whitney will always take care of that daughter

Guy became mega wealthy off her (Clyde Davis)

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Doubt that jj, clive davis could care less about her daughter

Br0nxer
    July 2012 Poster of the Month
    Br0nxer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 888

Yes. As broke as apricot sinner

Doc JS
    Doc JS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

If she did die broke, she wouldn't be the first...

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

Clive Davis only cares about Clive Davis.
    He's a music executive for the love of God, they use and abuse artists, and he's one of the greatest at it.

Regarding Houston, word is she didn't put away a lot of the money she earned.
    On her behalf, if she, or someone like her tours, and say said tour makes 30 million, the artists, sees, maybe 5 million of that after taxes, etc. etc. etc.

Sportsbetting123
    Sportsbetting123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7617

Who knows if she died broke, but we know Iverson is broke

griz
    FEB 2012 POTM
    griz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 607

we all got problems

fukk her and fukk her daughter. why should i give a fukk about someone who made 100 mill+ and lost it being a dumbass???

fukk her

jjgold

I wonder what it mean if you sell a total of 200 million records and she only sings on them how much does she get out of that or is it all a predetermined amount before releases

Goes to show so easy top blow even 50 million away

ebbearsfb1
    ebbearsfb1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1694

Hahaha you obviously cared enough to comment

ngates815
    Hooked Nose J
    ngates815's Avatar Become A Pro!

sweet thread, I really enjoyed it.

Top notch jj.

TrailerParkBoy
    Free Speech!
    TrailerParkBoy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 738

Dolly Parton's not complaining.

She will always love you, Whitney.

Cha-Ching!!!!

TrailerParkBoy
    Free Speech!

wtf
    wtf's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 61

broke rug muncher

TrailerParkBoy
    Free Speech!

infamousbacardi
    Alone In a Room
    infamousbacardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

Craziest part of that article was that Michael Jackson has sold over 30 million albums since he died. Even at $7.99...that's almost 240 million dollars! Just goes to show the artists trying to make it that the real deal about being a "star"...isn't the camera's and the lights...it's owning those music rights!!

Boom!

jjgold

Good points infamous

I think Whitney was also a drug user way before she met Bobby Brown

TrailerParkBoy
    Free Speech!

Saddest part in all this is the daughter got dads looks instead of moms.....poor girl.

jjgold

Girl will be with Grandmother
    Bobby Brown cannot get near her

infamousbacardi
    Alone In a Room
    infamousbacardi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 132

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Good points infamous I think Whitney was also a drug user way before she met Bobby Brown
    I don't know JJ...I kind of believe she met him and he turned her onto it. Just seems to be more of a correlation to her drug use once he came around, that kind of thing. Not impossible she could have met him because of the drugs, etc...but I'm more inclined to think it was the opposite way. IMO.

Oh well, she died and got to enjoy most of her money, even if the money dried up 1 8-ball at a time.

stevenash

Bobby Brown should be tried for murder.

sickler
    Facade 101
    sickler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2983

I wonder what it mean if you sell a total of 200 million records and she only sings on them how much does she get out of that or is it all a predetermined amount before releases

Goes to show so easy top blow even 50 million away
    I think most contracts are a percentage of sales, not a lump sum beforehand.

Thehusker
    Thehusker's Avatar Become A Pro!

Whitney was sexin Ray J formerly of Kum Kardashian sextape fame ......to go from Kim k to Whitney Houston is like going from riding the Giants through the playoffs ml to picking the Bobcats ml Nightly

jjgold

She was a lesbian
    I think most close to her knew it

Do searches

stevenash

^
    So??

TrailerParkBoy
    Free Speech!

Bobby Brown was a cvnt. Kinda makes her a dyke I guess.

jjgold

She was no kid when they got married..I changed my tune meaning it was not his fault

She could of walked away from him if he was so bad

Dutch
    Honky Lips
    Dutch's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 736

She could of walked away from him if he was so bad

Women don't leave bad boys. Women naturally have low self esteem. He probably called her stupid and dumb and told her she couldn't do better than him. It's the only way to shut a bitch up.

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Quote Originally Posted by TrailerParkBoy View Post

will2survive
    STAY IN YO LANE!
    will2survive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22

Absolutely not. She didn't die broke. Her daughter will actually receive a lot of money. The problem is, will Bobby Brown try to extract that money from his daughter by trying to get back into her life.

She's alone, he can pounce easily. She need's his moral support. Hopefully, he's not a slug and a thief where Bobby Kris is concerned

Jaug
    1 in 2.7 mill
    Jaug's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2977

Hawkeye2011
    Hawkeye2011's Avatar Become A Pro!

I read that for the last several years she was just living off of advances from the record company

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Women don't leave bad boys. Women naturally have low self esteem. He probably called her stupid and dumb and told her she couldn't do better than him. It's the only way to shut a bitch up.

Great point, maybe I should try that strategy??????????????
    Nothing else works

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32174

There is a candle light vigil for Whitney Houston tonight.

12 Last