zsr
    zsr's Avatar Become A Pro!

Kobe best player in the league

At age 33 this guys unreal. Didn't think he had one more elite year left in him

Ace_of_Spades
    Golazo De Riverrrr!
    Ace_of_Spades's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 79

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Kobe

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4327

He is hot, no doubt.

But let any top tier player average 25 shots a game, and they would put up those PPG or more.

cankid
    cankid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10294

I never saw Chamberlain play but I m convinced Kobe s the best I've ever seen play

zsr

Quote Originally Posted by cankid View Post
    I never saw Chamberlain play but I m convinced Kobe s the best I've ever seen play
    Uhh..did you miss jordans career?

Holtgetsback
    Holtgetsback's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1402

Quote Originally Posted by cankid View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zsr View Post

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by zsr View Post
    Beat me to it.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Quote Originally Posted by onlooker View Post
    He is hot, no doubt.

But let any top tier player average 25 shots a game, and they would put up those PPG or more.
    Yes.............Paul outplayed him though

Hotdiggity11
    Hotdiggity11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 135

He is hot, no doubt.

Except he's also shooting over 46% doing it. Which is strong for any non-center and especially for a Shooting Guard.

darkhat
    darkhat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2882

Beat me to it.
    and me.. but I do believe Kobe is easily top 5.

wantitall4moi
    wantitall4moi's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3834

LMAO if other superstars were ball hogging assholes they would score 50 or 60 a night. Kobe plays on a horrible team with a coach that is a complete idiot and used to having a superstar type player walk all over him.

If Chris paul went to the hole 75% of the time and could get calls like Kobe he would be able to do the same thing. Same goes for other guys out there like Rose, Wade, Durant, Aldrich, hell even Bynum. If they fed Bynum and bynum got the same amount of atempts Kobe got and could hit even 70% of his free throws then you would see something.

Kobe just throws up shit and it goes in, so it looks better than it actually is.

I just know 'great' players have the ability to recognize situations and take advantage of them. Kobe is just on green every time he gets the ball. He is basically Allen Iverson at this point. Sure he can score if he wants to but his team sucks and isnt going to go anywhere. Especially if they arent getting used correctly. I can see Kobe jacking up shots like that if he were on the floor with the second team. But when he has bynumn and gasol out there he should be a little more willing to pass the ball. Passing to the high wing and thentrying to get open to make a circus shot isnt smart basket ball. I was at tha game and I watched 10-12 trips down the floor in a row where Lakers had the ball for 12-15 seconds and neither Bynum nor Gasol even touched the ball and the ball never got inside the painted area.

Thats just bad basketball when you have two seven footers. Especially when the opponents big man is on the benchwith fouls, and even when he is on the floor he has foul issues. And the biggest guy on the floor for the clippers is 6' 8". Bynum should have had 40 last night, if HE has 40 Lakers may have stole that one. But all anyone wants to do is talk about how awesome kobe is and how great a run he is on. Good teams will let him score 40, theyll beat the lakers anyway. Hell a couple of the worst teams in the league almost beat them when he got 40.

demens
    Square -910
    demens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

^^My God. The level of stupidity on this forum is mind blowing. "Kobe's not good, he just throws shit up and it goes on, he is like Allen Iverson."

nomeansno
    nomeansno's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 407

Only until his old ass body won't be able to handle these crazy minutes he keeps playing. With this schedule there won't be much left for the playoffs if he keeps this up

wantitall4moi

Quote Originally Posted by demens View Post
    ^^My God. The level of stupidity on this forum is mind blowing. "Kobe's not good, he just throws shit up and it goes on, he is like Allen Iverson."
    Not nearly as stupid as claiming kobe is the best player in the league.

They guy is worse than Tiger woods, he reads and listens to every negative comment people say and lets it bother him.

He is doing this act he has now, well first because he is a ball hogging dick, but secondly because ESPN called him the 7th best player in the league and it hurt his feelings. If anything ESPN was being generous but like I said they really dont have a clue as to what they say half the time anyway.

If kobe was even close to being a nice guy he would have 8 or 9 rings right now. but because no one can stand playing with the guy (that is halfway decent themselves) he has 5. 3 of those he can thank Shaq for. But in reality he can thank phil jackson for all 5 of them.

Back when they got Malone and the glove to come to LA it showed what Kobe thought of team play. He shot them right out of that series, Malone retired rather than coming back, and they traded Peyton to the celtics for a bunch of rejects. Shaq had one foot out the door himself. Even Derek Fischer left to go to a really bad team. Kobe basically extorted the team into putting him on the pillar and letting anyone that had any sort of name get the boot. So after that it was Kobe and a band of misfits. They tanked, but they did get Bynum. But Kobe still was extorting them and was threatening that he wanted to be traded. But he stayed after Phil got back and Jerry west pulled one of the biggest scams in the history of the NBA.

They got extremely lucky when Gasol was given to them for free. Then even luckier when jackson came back because he was screwing the daughter and probably thought he had a shot at some ownership somewhere down the line and he got them a couple more rings.

If the Lakers were such a great destination why havent more superstars come to them over the past few years once Shaq left? They havent had a single star come there. Shaq left in 2004, so thats 8 years worth of quality free agents, why didnt any of them sign? No one even showed an interest until this year basically because they know Kobe is not going to be around long so they figured they would take a shot. Paul trade got axed, but I would really like to know how enthusiastic paul was. I would bet he is much happier to be with the clippers than the lakers. Even Dwight Howard. I am not so sure he is all that serious either about it. I think these guys throw the lakers name out there just to get more money from someone else.

Because in the past 8 years you look at the free agent signings around the league, then you look at the trash the Lakers have gotten and it looks pretty obvious to me that people arent all that enthusiastic about playing for the lakers. More than likely because of kobe. Seriously the best guy the Lakers have gotten is Gasol. Nice pick up to be sure but not a super star caliber guy, and that was a theft that never should have been allowed in the first place.

Bynum is going to be a free agent next year as well, so it will be interesting to see what happens there. Probably why Lakers were looking to trade him for howard. But I think as they start to collapse this season they move him for something. While he still has some apparent value. He will be unrestricted next season so he will be the new Dwight howard, especially if he stays healthy and produces. But when he is on a team with ball hog bryant that is going to be difficult to do.

You reap what you sow. While people can say all the PC things about kobe not many really want to play with him, especially now that it looks like there arent anymore rings in the future. I would go as far as to say they wont win another play off series with Kobe as the 'main' man. Which basically means as long as he is in a laker jersey.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: SoxSide Irish

Business3587
    Business3587's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wow several of you should be banned for mere stupidity. You would think among a sports betting forum people would know the game. I guess not. You all love Michael Jordan. I get it, but put Michael in today's league. These kids are freaks. There isnt any John Starks, or Reggie Miller guarding you. You have to worry about Lebron, D wade, Joe Johnson, the list goes on. GET REAL. Kobe took Jordan's game and perfected it. As much as you hate the man, think like someone who finished high school. Or, Im sure a lot of you never finished high school. So common sense is out of the question, maybe you can apply some street smarts?

the_situation
    the_situation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6309

don't like the guy but it's hard to argue he's still the best

dlunc3
    dlunc3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1076

If you wanna call him the best scorer, fine go ahead... but that is all he offers. He is no longer the defensive player he once was... doesnt help on the boards and doesnt distribute the ball and get his teammates involved

Best player in the league does more then shoot 30 shots a game and score points... he is great at that though, and is scoring at a very high level right now

bryant81
    Update your status
    bryant81's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12228

Quote Originally Posted by wantitall4moi View Post
    LMAO if other superstars were ball hogging assholes they would score 50 or 60 a night. Kobe plays on a horrible team with a coach that is a complete idiot and used to having a superstar type player walk all over him.

If Chris paul went to the hole 75% of the time and could get calls like Kobe he would be able to do the same thing. Same goes for other guys out there like Rose, Wade, Durant, Aldrich, hell even Bynum. If they fed Bynum and bynum got the same amount of atempts Kobe got and could hit even 70% of his free throws then you would see something.

Kobe just throws up shit and it goes in, so it looks better than it actually is.

I just know 'great' players have the ability to recognize situations and take advantage of them. Kobe is just on green every time he gets the ball. He is basically Allen Iverson at this point. Sure he can score if he wants to but his team sucks and isnt going to go anywhere. Especially if they arent getting used correctly. I can see Kobe jacking up shots like that if he were on the floor with the second team. But when he has bynumn and gasol out there he should be a little more willing to pass the ball. Passing to the high wing and thentrying to get open to make a circus shot isnt smart basket ball. I was at tha game and I watched 10-12 trips down the floor in a row where Lakers had the ball for 12-15 seconds and neither Bynum nor Gasol even touched the ball and the ball never got inside the painted area.

Thats just bad basketball when you have two seven footers. Especially when the opponents big man is on the benchwith fouls, and even when he is on the floor he has foul issues. And the biggest guy on the floor for the clippers is 6' 8". Bynum should have had 40 last night, if HE has 40 Lakers may have stole that one. But all anyone wants to do is talk about how awesome kobe is and how great a run he is on. Good teams will let him score 40, theyll beat the lakers anyway. Hell a couple of the worst teams in the league almost beat them when he got 40.
    This, folks, is the average human intellect at work. Despite all the hard work you've done, all your time spent improving upon your own mind, increasing your capacity to contribute something to the world's progress, all of the hardship you've encountered--the dog poop you've stepped in, the times your car broke down on the freeway--everything little thing you've done in the name of thought and societal evolution is, in an instant, neutralized by some guy who thinks that Kobe Bryant makes most of his shots not because of his years of meticulous training as a professional talent, but because he carries a fukcing rabbit's foot and knocks on wood.

Read it and weep, humanity. And just remember that this is the average intellect, which means half of all people aren't even this intelligent.

demens
    Square -910

How does he not help on the boards or distribute the ball. He's getting 5.9 boards per game which is the highest its been in 4 years and higher then his career average and he is dishing out 5.4 assist per game. Again, highest in 4 years and more then his career average. Both high averages for a SG no matter who you compare him to.

People are just grasping at straws here. The guy has been the MVP of the league so far, stop hating already. Noone knows if he can keep it up but give him credit and the guy is still playing hurt. Someone compared him to Allen Iverson for gods sake.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdiggity11 View Post
    Except he's also shooting over 46% doing it. Which is strong for any non-center and especially for a Shooting Guard.
    You missed my point. Other non-centers shoot better then 46% and if took 25-30 shots a game they would put up a better PPG.

Maybe we should just say he is the best jump shooter in the league. It's just sick what he can do with hands and arms in his face.

demens
    Square -910

Quote Originally Posted by bryant81 View Post
    This, folks, is the average human intellect at work. Despite all the hard work you've done, all your time spent improving upon your own mind, increasing your capacity to contribute something to the world's progress, all of the hardship you've encountered--the dog poop you've stepped in, the times your car broke down on the freeway--everything little thing you've done in the name of thought and societal evolution is, in an instant, neutralized by some guy who thinks that Kobe Bryant makes most of his shots not because of his years of meticulous training as a professional talent, but because he carries a fukcing rabbit's foot and knocks on wood.

Read it and weep, humanity. And just remember that this is the average intellect, which means half of all people aren't even this intelligent.

Its both funny and sad because its true.

demens
    Square -910

You missed my point. Other non-centers shoot better then 46% and if took 25-30 shots a game they would put up a better PPG.

Maybe we should just say he is the best jump shooter in the league. It's just sick what he can do with hands and arms in his face.
    I think you are the one missing the point. How many other non centers have shot 25-30 shots at 46% ever? If this is something players could do at will EVERYONE would be doing it. But this is close to impossible and only a handful of the elite players are even capable of doing something like that. Hell, its hard enough to get that many shots off in the 1st place, let alone hit a respectable % while doing it.

bryant81
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by wantitall4moi View Post

Of course you don't care about the number of assists, because that goes against your argument of how Kobe has been shooting too much, despite shooting at 59%. Not something to be proud of? How about this:

31.8%

That's the percentage of baskets by the rest of the team that come from assists by Kobe during the times when he's on the floor, which is 17th in the league out of every single player. Kobe is the only non-PG, other than LeBron, to be in the top 20. Fisher, on the other hand, is at 28.3%, being the PG.

In other words, 1/3 of all the baskets by the Lakers are the direct results of Kobe's assists, and that is not counting missed baskets that were preceded by his passes. To say Kobe doesn't pass enough or somehow makes the team less efficient conveniently ignores his actual contribution.

How about total assists? 71, the only non-PG in the top 20, along with LeBron.

If there is no appropriate number of shots, then what's shooting too much?

You want Kobe to play more like Magic and distribute the ball around, ignoring the fact that he's never been that type of player, and he only does so by necessity, which he has, repeatedly throughout his career.

Should Kobe play 48 minutes a game? Given how much he's able to accomplish, even with a wrist injury on his shooting hand, that would have been great. Could he? That's another matter altogether.

You harp about what Kobe should and should not do, not because of the results of his play, which has been a 5 game winning streak (until yesterday). Feeling inclined to mention the quality of opponents in those 5 games? Sure, go ahead, but even the most experienced basketball watchers will say that any team can beat any other team on any given night.

Since you can't discount the 5 game winning streak, you pick arbitrary requirements that somehow result in Kobe seemingly under-achieving, if not failing miserably outright.

Kobe's been playing outstandingly, just not in ways that YOU prefer and make YOU feel comfortable, despite the string of wins.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...

I think you are the one missing the point. How many other non centers have shot 25-30 shots at 46% ever? If this is something players could do at will EVERYONE would be doing it. But this is close to impossible and only a handful of the elite players are even capable of doing something like that. Hell, its hard enough to get that many shots off in the 1st place, let alone hit a respectable % while doing it.
    Settle down there grasshopper.

I'm not hating on your beloved Kobe. Just saying Durant and Lebron could shoot at a better percentage if they took that many shots. They both currently shoot over 50%, I'm sure they could keep that pace if they took 10 more shots per game.

Cue the Lebron hate.

Donkeys2012
    Donkeys2012's Avatar Become A Pro!

Kobe is nothing but a selfish player. Take last night for example he could care less about winning it was about getting his 40. You have 2 7 footers against the small Clipper frontcourt and what is Kobe doing dribbing around and launching all night. Pathedic. Lakers should trade Kobe and Keep the 7 footers they would win more games that way.

zsr

Kobe does need to get Bynum and gasol the ball more, not sure why he doesn't realize this either. They would be so much better.
    Last edited by zsr; 01-15-12 at 01:46 PM.

bryant81
    Update your status

I'm not hating on your beloved Kobe. Just saying Durant and Lebron could shoot at a better percentage if they took that many shots. They both currently shoot over 50%, I'm sure they could keep that pace if they took 10 more shots per game.

Cue the Lebron hate.

You can't necessarily assume that. It's not like if they started taking 10 more shots, all of their other contributions would be constant. For example, if LeBron is scoring 30 ppg right now on 20 shots, you can't assume that if he shot 30 shots, his stats would be 30 ppg + the extra points off 10 extra shots. It doesn't work like that. If every team knew LeBron or whoever was going to come in and take 30+ shots, it's a lot easier to play defense. It's not like it's easy to put up 30 shots on a nightly basis. LeBron's passing threat is what makes the defence stay honest on his teammates. If the defense knew his teammates weren't getting the ball on any given possession, they would just zero in on LeBron and not worry about anyone else. Stop his penetration and make him a jump shooter. We all saw how that turned out in the finals last June lol. There's not a single player in the game right now who can score 50 on any given night. Kobe used to be that guy. There's also not a single player in the game right now who can score 60 even on his best night. Kobe has 5 of the last 11 60+ point games in the past decade or so (Shaq, Iverson, T-Mac, Arenas, etc. only did it once). Durant is probably the best scorer in the game and I don't think even he can do that Kobe is doing right now. Kobe is making some ridiculous shots that no other player in the league has any business even attempting.

bryant81
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Donkeys2012 View Post
    Kobe is nothing but a selfish player. Take last night for example he could care less about winning it was about getting his 40. You have 2 7 footers against the small Clipper frontcourt and what is Kobe doing dribbing around and launching all night. Pathedic. Lakers should trade Kobe and Keep the 7 footers they would win more games that way.
    Kobe has a no-trade clause.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Michael Jordan shot 50% over his entire career even with his last comeback included. He was the best mid range jump shooter of all time.

As for the op, what a joke....who gives a fuk about what a guy does in January. Nba stars are made in the playoffs. He's done it before but his era of dominance in the late spring is over.

wantitall4moi

ahh love guys trying to pull stats out of their asses especially in NBa where theyre nearly meaningless.

Since he has gone on this scoring bing he has had 14 assists 3 in two games and 4 in two games. Before these last few games he was had 9, 7, 6, 4 and 3. In the first 5 games he was 6,6,5,6,9 in asists. He has CLEARLY changed his approach. So talking abour averages and all that nonsense is what can be expected from the people who mock others intellect.

When you have 2 guys who are a mismatch for most every team you dish them the ball, like he did the first 10 or so games. But that wasnt good enough. I said it before the guy craves attention. He would rather score 50 and lose than score 30 with 7 or 8 assists and win. I have watched this guy for 15 years it is a clear pattern at how he does things. It is no coincidence he changed what he had been doing for the whole season when that article came out. It wasnt a big deal because they were squeaking out wins at home against clearly inferior opponents. Now they are going to start facing some legit teams it will all come to a head to be sure.

But knowing him and how he thinks e start pasing again, lakers wil go on a losing streak and he will blame it on his team mates. That has been his M.O. for his whole career too.

Also since people are so in love with stats look at how his attempts have risen over the past 6 or 7 games. Not that he shouldnt shoot but again with 2 7 footers in there and the way Bynum has been playing the offense should really be going through the paint.

He is also a turnover machine this year maybe another reason he doesnt want to pass too much. Who knows.

I just know he isnt in the top 10 in the league right now if you balanced everything off. He is basically the guy on a bad team they let take most of the shots. Bynum could do everything Kobe is doing rightnow with a lot less theatrics and need for circus type moves. Extrapolate Bynums attempts out to where they would equal kobes and start doing some math. He would be scoring 40+ as well. If he could make a few free thorws he wouldnt even need the same amount of attempts.

3PtShooter
    3PtShooter's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16129

kobe = scorer deluxe ballhandling = ave... rebounding = fair...passing = ave

demens
    Square -910

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    Michael Jordan shot 50% over his entire career even with his last comeback included. He was the best mid range jump shooter of all time.

As for the op, what a joke....who gives a fuk about what a guy does in January. Nba stars are made in the playoffs. He's done it before but his era of dominance in the late spring is over.
    I'm not touching the Jordan argument but just as an FYI, he shot 42% and 45% his 2 years with the Wiz. 46% his last year in Chicago.

But yeah, like it said in the post you quoted, it takes a special kind of elite talent to be able to take that many shots and shoot them at a respectable %. Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant are 2 examples of such players.

Cue the Lebron hate.

So a 2 time MVP and a 2 time scoring champ. Yeah, maybe they could do the same, maybe they couldn't. Until they do you're just guessing, but in either case its not bad company to be in.
    Last edited by demens; 01-15-12 at 01:00 PM.

zsr

Lebron won't be mentioned as the best player until he fixes his crunch time struggles
    Last edited by zsr; 01-15-12 at 09:55 PM.

dlunc3
    dlunc3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1076

I'm not touching the Jordan argument but just as an FYI, he shot 42% and 45% his 2 years with the Wiz. 46% his last year in Chicago.

But yeah, like it said in the post you quoted, it takes a special kind of elite talent to be able to take that many shots and shoot them at a respectable %. Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant are 2 examples of such players.

So a 2 time MVP and a 2 time scoring champ. Yeah, maybe they could do the same, maybe they couldn't. Until they do you're just guessing, but in either case its not bad company to be in.
    not really guessing... lebron is averaging only 2.5 points less per game with more then 6 less shot attempts with a much better shooting %... if lebron chose to take 25+ shots per night, he would easily be up with kobe... and in all honestly, he will still most likely lead kobe in scoring this season when all said and done... thats on top of being a much better facilitator and defender

as said before... lebrons career is still just getting started.. if he can get his late game issues under control, he will easily bypass the player kobe ever was

1234 ... Last