doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Best Rookie QB Newton or Dalton

Both have been a surprise with their play so far this season. Who would you take longterm.

Dalton: 1311 yards 62.4% 7 TD 5 INT 84.3 QB Rating.
    19 rushing yards 1 TD
    Bengals 4-2

Newton: 1847 yards 58.5% 7 TD 9 INT 78.3 QB Rating
    210 rushing yards 6 TD
    Panthers 1-5

antifoil
    Update your status
    antifoil's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6611

easy. today it would be dalton. he came cheaper in salary giving more cap room.

he was also a second round pick allowing for the first round pick to be used on a.j. green.

much better value than newton.

jmdudney
    jmdudney's Avatar Become A Pro!

Mannn , Newton is playing great, but I think Andy Dalton is the man. Hes VERY accurate for a rookie. Not to mention Cam Newton likes to move around a lot, Thats a good way to get hurt. I take Dalton.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011

dudney if you are going to pull for the tarheels be a homer and pull for Newton.

daimoshokage
    daimoshokage's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 57

gfy

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

newton is a stud

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011

Quote Originally Posted by daimoshokage View Post

gfy

oh look it's the little stutter troll jocking doublej.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Whenever Cam decides to stop throwing INT, the Panthers will get full value out of their pick.

Dalton at the moment is a great pick so far. Much cheaper than who he replaced, and is throwing more TD's, than INT's. Turning over the ball kills your chances of winning exponentially.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011

Quote Originally Posted by HoulihansTX View Post
    Whenever Cam decides to stop throwing INT, the Panthers will get full value out of their pick.

Dalton at the moment is a great pick so far. Much cheaper than who he replaced, and is throwing more TD's, than INT's. Turning over the ball kills your chances of winning exponentially.

I think he would have a few less INT's if Carolina's defense could hold a lead.
    Last edited by doublej95; 10-17-11 at 10:28 PM.

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

I was the biggest doubter of Newton (as a Panthers fan) and I thought Newton would be a huge bust but the kid has played exceptional to thus far. We have been in every game this year and that's saying something considering our schedule. Carolina needs to build the defense a bit but they are moving in the right direction. Now back on topic of DJ's question I think Newton has been the best thus far, Dalton's defense has kept the pressure minimal for the offense whereas the Panthers D couldn't stop Ryan Leaf.

TehSharp
    Sh*t Jeremy Lin says
    TehSharp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 512

Fantasy wise-Cam Newton no contest, Overall QB they are close, but I'll take Newton also just because of overall arm strength and his athletic ability

Jcm144
    Jcm144's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 612

To be honest I've been sleeping on Dalton, and I think most of the media has been too......Looking at his numbers he seems to be doing very good, that being said I go with Newton. Just cuz of the pose this young man is showing. Throwing for that many yards as a rookie!? Its unheard of.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1812

The Vikings made a mistake by drafting Ponder instead of Dalton in the first round.

RJ89
    RJ89's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1741

Dalton has been very impressive for a rookie with almost no expectations this year, but he has a much better team around him than Newton. I would give a small edge to Newton.

Gonz312
    Keep It Simple Stupid
    Gonz312's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 8214

I'm gonna say Dalton. He has the accuracy and I think that is huge on the pro level. Both QB's have alot of room to grow but I just don't see Cam ever being anything more than he has shown. He is very mobile, has a huge arm but is very streaky accuracy wise and he will always throw more Int's because of that, even on good reads. Cam will bring the excitement and the potential to put a team on his back for a win. But I think accuracy trumps all on this level in the long run.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

When studying both, it's an easy choice (this was before the season).
    Dalton and Locker were far and away, IMO, the top 2 prospects entering the draft, as far as ability to play in the NFL. Both showed good enough arm strength and NFL type accuracy (I know Locker had bad accuracy numbers, but I've seen him enough to know he can improve. It's not like he's erratic).

During pre-season, Newton looked lost and his accuracy was horrible... Then something CRAZY happened that I never saw on tape during the regular season. He was making very accurate passes to MANY different spots on the field.
    This is a very very tough debate. Dalton is an NFL ready QB that needs to work on his arm strength and deep ball touch a bit, which can be developed in time. Newton? Damn. He makes a lot of HUGE mistakes, but he makes a TON of huge plays.

Right now, I don't think you lose taking either, per se. I am a HUGE believer in Dalton. The kid can play QB, no doubt. What's impressed me, however, is Newton's poise as an NFL QB. This is too close to call, but if I had to choose, I'd take Dalton and only just. He makes better decisions. He's a better leader. He also can scan his progressions a LOT better, in fact, that part of the equation isn't close.

This is one of those things. I like QBs that can go thru progressions in the pocket. Those QBs have long careers. Newton is moving around a lot and looking down field for something, but he misses a lot of easy passes because I don't think he's experienced enough. Can he develop that? Athletes that talented usually don't, except for McNabb and a couple others, but Vick is the closest guy I can compare to, and Vick is one of the worst QBs looking thru his reads/progressions of starters in the NFL I've seen. Newton does have something special about him, though. I thought he should convert to another position after all I've seen of him. I was wrong, for sure, on Newton. The kid can play... But I'd rather have Dalton, he's got the tools it takes to lead a team to win and can develop his arm, which is all he needs to do, really. Newton needs a lot more refinement, but I'm not gonna lie, the kid can make plays.

Grits n' Gravy
    Bigdaddyqh diddles kids
    Grits n' Gravy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41120

As season progresses and Dalton faces Ravens and Steelers we will see some regression. I like both kids and think a good coach and team could go to a SB with either of them.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Its close but right now you have to choose who has the better record

Newton looks like he has a ton of talent, remember most black QB's sail the ball on the drop back pass and it usually does them in and in many case scenarios it happens because they have such strong arms

wikkidinsane
    wikkidinsane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

black qb wins

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Black QB's number 1 problem in any league is accuracy

Like I said main reason is their arms are so fukkin strong

Newton looks like he can throw a ball 80 yards

Tech N9ne
    Tech N9ne's Avatar Become A Pro!

Fig Newton all day

Blackroc78
    Blackroc78's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dalton

wikkidinsane
    wikkidinsane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post

Newton looks like he can throw a ball 80 yards

I think so too lol

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

newton should have won some clutch games, like game 1 in arizona, or the saints game. but he didn't. have to go with dalton. it's about winning, it's not a fantasy.

vyomguy
    vyomguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 234

if it wasnt for terrible panthers defense, they would have much better record. Newton is single handedly keeping the games close. Ponder is in a much better team. Switch teams and bengals would have much better record.

also remember that bengals have very good receivers which make any QB look good...I mean aj green is one of the best WRs in the past decade...they also have shipley and simpson...thats a terrific WR core. Also they can run the ball with benson. Its very easy to be a QB if you have that caliber of WRs.

Overall, Newton is way better than dalton. Its unfortunate he is stuck in panthers team. If they improve their defense and WRs core next year, they will be good.

Bcatswin
    Bcats Winning Everywhere
    Bcatswin's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5338

I'll bite, Dalton is doing great. This is a Bengals team that only had 4 wins last year and his number 1 reciever is a rookie in Green.

Newton is also doing well though for a Panthers team that only had 2 wins last year. Although he does have a proven great in Smith at WR, what this boils down to like you's have said is D, advantage Bengals. Got 2 come back wins in the 4th quarter this year from the D keeping them in the game.

Jago2008
    SoCal Living
    Jago2008's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dalton's college career speaks for itself. Cincinnati really got a great QB without much Fanfare, everybody thought he would start slow (including myself) because its the BENGALS! But you have to give the guy credit, he's been making great decisions, has a victory over a good team thus far (Buffalo)

Dalton's college career:
    8-5 as a freshman, then a record of 34-3 as a starter for the rest of his career at TCU. He missed just two games.

It can also be argued that Newton is a GREAT LEADER, leading an Auburn team to the national championship while playing in the SEC conference. Furthermore his transition to NFL has been seemless, just like Dalton's. I've been happy with Newton's success primarily because I have Steve Smith on my Fantasy team . But with that said, Lets be honest its more about the Cincinnati Defense here that is reflected in each team's record than both QBs, Dalton has managed his team well, with the exception of a few interceptions the Panthers could have a winning record- they've been in EVERY game. And they gave Packers a good game, which IMHO is the best team in NFL.

Both are great- but I'd take a pocket passer like Dalton ahead of Newton in the No Fun League.

Marigold HD
    Marigold HD's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47713

Dalton easy

BGS 9.5
    BGS 9.5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3521

super close here, a small edge to Dalton for now