betplom
    maniac
    betplom's Avatar Become A Pro!

Why bees buzz

Bees buzz for two reasons. First, the rapid wingbeats of many species create wind vibrations that people hear as buzzes. The larger the bee, the slower the wingbeat and the lower the pitch of the resulting buzz. This is a phenomenon of the wingbeats and not specifically of bees--some flies, beetles, and wasps also have buzzy flight caused by their wingbeats.

In addition some bees, most commonly bumblebees (genus Bombus), are capable of vibrating their wing muscles and thorax (the middle segment of their body) while visiting flowers. These vibrations shake the pollen off the flower's anthers and onto the bee's body. Some of that pollen then gets deposited on the next flower the bee visits, resulting in pollination. The bee grooms the remainder of the pollen onto special pollen-carrying structures (on the hind legs of most bees) and takes it back to the nest to feed to the larvae.

When bumblebees vibrate flowers to release pollen, the corresponding buzz is quite loud. Honeybees (genus Apis) are incapable of buzz-pollination and are usually quiet when foraging on flowers. As an aside, some flowers are adapted to pollination by pollinators capable of "buzz-pollination." Tomatoes, green peppers and blueberries all have tubular anthers with the pollen inside the tube. When the bee vibrates the flower, the pollen falls out of the tubular anther onto the bee. Consequently, bumblebees pollinate these crops much more efficiently than honeybees do.

Now you know.

Mudcat
    Mudcat's Avatar Become A Pro!

Your posts lately have been like little shorts from the National Film Board. I can almost hear the Hinterland music as I read them.

englishmike
    englishmike's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bees buzz for the same reason a dog licks its balls.

Because it can.

dwaechte
    dwaechte's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

Plommer has finally snapped lol.

Richkas
    Richkas's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by dwaechte View Post

Theres alot of inbreds north of the border.

Willie Bee
    Willie Bee's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 305

I'll tell how this Bee buzzes: Bourbon, splash of soda and a little lemon off the tree up the hill.

betplom
    maniac
    betplom's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    I'll tell how this Bee buzzes: Bourbon, splash of soda and a little lemon off the tree up the hill.

CS-Cedrick
    CS-Cedrick's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by betplom View Post
    Bees buzz for two reasons. First, the rapid wingbeats of many species create wind vibrations that people hear as buzzes. The larger the bee, the slower the wingbeat and the lower the pitch of the resulting buzz. This is a phenomenon of the wingbeats and not specifically of bees--some flies, beetles, and wasps also have buzzy flight caused by their wingbeats.

In addition some bees, most commonly bumblebees (genus Bombus), are capable of vibrating their wing muscles and thorax (the middle segment of their body) while visiting flowers. These vibrations shake the pollen off the flower's anthers and onto the bee's body. Some of that pollen then gets deposited on the next flower the bee visits, resulting in pollination. The bee grooms the remainder of the pollen onto special pollen-carrying structures (on the hind legs of most bees) and takes it back to the nest to feed to the larvae.

When bumblebees vibrate flowers to release pollen, the corresponding buzz is quite loud. Honeybees (genus Apis) are incapable of buzz-pollination and are usually quiet when foraging on flowers. As an aside, some flowers are adapted to pollination by pollinators capable of "buzz-pollination." Tomatoes, green peppers and blueberries all have tubular anthers with the pollen inside the tube. When the bee vibrates the flower, the pollen falls out of the tubular anther onto the bee. Consequently, bumblebees pollinate these crops much more efficiently than honeybees do.

Now you know.
    What a rich post we have here

CS-Cedrick
    CS-Cedrick's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Bee View Post
    Another rich post

Madukwe
    Madukwe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 235

i thought this thread was going to be an explanation of what makes Buztah tick.

thoroughly disappointed

pico
    USC ml
    pico's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1634

now i know.

most educational poster of the month

MilfDriller
    MilfDriller's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 60

JJ makes a bee go buzz (and I quote) 'by grabbing the prick like so'

Very disappointed that JJ is a tallywacker-taster.

zubzub
    zubzub's Avatar Become A Pro!

Bees are amazing.

The first baseball team I was ever on was called The Bees.

We had Yellow shirts

zubzub
    zubzub's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by betplom View Post
    Tomatoes, green peppers and blueberries all have tubular anthers with the pollen inside the tube. When the bee vibrates the flower, the pollen falls out of the tubular anther onto the bee.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

gamble_on
    gamble_on's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by dwaechte View Post
    what is a "dwaechte" ?