WvGambler
    WvGambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

QB toughness....

How do these guys do it? Matt Ryan was just in the equivalent of a car accident with that hit from Ware. Yet after that he is ready to go again. ALL QB'S are like that. These guys have toughness I don't understand.

WvGambler

We give QB'S sh1t about being the delicate guys on the team...but seriously. They just get up.

MickeyMan
    MickeyMan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14295

Yeah very true. I am always amazed when they get hammered from the blind side and don't even fumble. I don't know how that is possible.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

yeah we make fun of them as wearing skirts and all the rules protecting them ect.

but guys like Big Ben, Eli, Cutler, Rodgers take alot of lickins and get up time and time again..

now you got these mobile guys like vick, newton, rg3, Weeden.... taking all sorts of hits

they are warriors

WvGambler

Having these 250lb animals hitting you from the blindside, at like 20mph unblocked.....it's amazing guys don't die on the field.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

All of them are tough, anybody who takes the abuse an NFL player does week in and week out is a friggin' beast.

WvGambler

We think of Tom Brady and Mark Sanchez like pretty boys. They'd tear us limb from limb.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Can you imagine what it's like to actually experience that in real time?

I think the same thing when a receiver goes over the middle and just gets buried by a safety.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    yeah we make fun of them as wearing skirts and all the rules protecting them ect.

but guys like Big Ben, Eli, Cutler, Rodgers take alot of lickins and get up time and time again..

now you got these mobile guys like vick, newton, rg3, Weeden.... taking all sorts of hits

they are warriors
    Cutler's a great example. All of the Bear fans I know still think he's a pussy because he sat out that NFC Championship game, but I'd argue no QB has taken a beating like him in the NFL -- ever.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by WvGambler View Post
    We think of Tom Brady and Mark Sanchez like pretty boys. They'd tear us limb from limb.
    speak for yourself guy

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    speak for yourself guy
    Do you know how big Brady is in person? Are you 6-4, 230?

WvGambler

speak for yourself guy
    I'm not looking for trouble here. I called off work last week because I thought I MAY be getting a sore throat.

Bdolan33
    Bdolan33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2224

Pads, helmets, special rules.

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Cutler's a great example. All of the Bear fans I know still think he's a pussy because he sat out that NFC Championship game, but I'd argue no QB has taken a beating like him in the NFL -- ever.

Thank you! Being from Chicago I have had to argue with fellow Bears fans many a time on this point. There is a slight difference between walking, and posting off of a leg to throw with lineman coming after your knee.

McBa1n
    Update your status
    McBa1n's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 523

QBs get rattled often, and with such monster hits it makes sense. But remember, they are wearing, essentially, a flak jacket - which absorbs a TREMENDOUS amount of force and spreads the remaining impact out quite well. What's even more impressive was the guys back before the QB protection rules or them wearing major body armor on their upper torso... Talk about proper badasses.

WvGambler

Matt Ryan's running around right now like he's fresh as a daisy. It was only 30 minutes ago that he was mauled by a bear.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ncsubowen

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

I'm not looking for trouble here. I called off work last week because I thought I MAY be getting a sore throat.

be sure to drink plenty of orange juice guy

suicidekings
    Update your status
    suicidekings's Avatar Become A Pro!

Physical fitness, in particular core strength. That's what allows them to take the shots they do.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Bdolan33 View Post
    Pads, helmets, special rules.
    If I dressed you in pads, slapped a helmet on you and even came up with some rules for your own protection, would you run from DeMarcus Ware with a football in your hand? Or better yet, know you're occasionally going to get blindsided by him in the pocket?

McBa1n
    Update your status

Spot on. I never understood the Chicago fans' opinions of Cutler being soft. Frankly, it's mental. You can't run on a torn up knee - and barely move around. Cutler has amazingly intelligent mobility (which he gets no credit for) and has a horrible line in Chicago. He may have suffered way worse than what he got in that NFC Championship if he played. There's very few QBs in the modern era that I've seen that have taken a bludgeoning like Jay that get back up and try to make a play (and often make a play). Crap, how many games have we seen him get sacked 8+ times? Or how many 15+ QB hits in a game? More than a few. He's still a jerk - but calling him a pussy is unreal.

WvGambler

He's going to say "yea for what they're getting paid." Predictable tough guy responses. He wouldn't live to spend a dime.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by McBa1n View Post
    QBs get rattled often, and with such monster hits it makes sense. But remember, they are wearing, essentially, a flak jacket - which absorbs a TREMENDOUS amount of force and spreads the remaining impact out quite well. What's even more impressive was the guys back before the QB protection rules or them wearing major body armor on their upper torso... Talk about proper badasses.
    They also didn't have 6-4, 250-pound linebackers who run a 4.4 40 or 6-6, 300-pound defensive ends who could do pretty much anything you ask them to do athletically chasing after them.

Do you think there were many DeMarcus Wares, Ndamukong Suhs or Jason Pierre-Pauls around back in the day? Maybe a few. Now they're all over the place. A QB sees one pretty much every week.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

He's going to say "yea for what they're getting paid." Predictable tough guy responses. He wouldn't live to spend a dime.
    i'd have been out there under center myself if it wasnt for a bad knee injury in the 8th grade

WvGambler

They also didn't have 6-4, 250-pound linebackers who run a 4.4 40 or 6-6, 300-pound defensive ends who could do pretty much anything you ask them to do athletically chasing after them.

Do you think there were many DeMarcus Wares, Ndamukong Suhs or Jason Pierre-Pauls around back in the day? Maybe a few. Now they're all over the place. A QB sees one pretty much every week.
    Yea...their we're like 10 of them per decade back then. Every team has at least one pass rushing freak of physical nature nowadays. Julius Peppers started this hybrid freak of a position that DE/OLB has become. These guys are as fast as wideouts....hell they cover them sometimes.

WvGambler

i'd have been out there under center myself if it wasnt for a bad knee injury in the 8th grade
    I remember the game it happened. You took a mean shot from Petey "knuckles" Norman in the PAC 8 championship game. I had my allowance on the game. You could've been a champion.

JerseyRobby
    JerseyRobby's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4442

Roethlisberger is nuts the guy takes sick shots especially in those crazy Ravens games. Whenever I watch him I'm amazed.

alamo
    Why R.E.M. and not The Go-Betweens
    alamo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10890

These guys wear pads that can protect every type of hit. Rugby players do not wear pads.

matt777s
    matt777s's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 445

Eli really impressed me in this aspect in the NFC championship game last year against the niners. Didn't matter how hard or how many times they hit him. He just got right back up and went back to work.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

I remember the game it happened. You took a mean shot from Petey "knuckles" Norman in the PAC 8 championship game. I had my allowance on the game. You could've been a champion.
    actually it was petey's older brother chucky "kneecap" norton

dirtiest mother fukker to ever play the game

karma's a bitch... now he's locked up for 15-20

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by alamo View Post
    These guys wear pads that can protect every type of hit. Rugby players do not wear pads.
    I'm not familiar with rugby, but are there guys with the size and athleticism of Ware, Suh, JPP, Aldon Smith, etc. in rugby?

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year

Yea...their we're like 10 of them per decade back then. Every team has at least one pass rushing freak of physical nature nowadays. Julius Peppers started this hybrid freak of a position that DE/OLB has become. These guys are as fast as wideouts....hell they cover them sometimes.
    jevon kearse

WvGambler

actually it was petey's older brother chucky "kneecap" norton

dirtiest mother fukker to ever play the game

karma's a bitch... now he's locked up for 15-20
    Good to hear. Keep the animals caged together. No need for us to lose any sleep at night, worrying about their intentions and behaviors.

WvGambler

jevon kearse
    Yes. That's who I actually meant. It was the Freak himself.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11893

wv, last call is the break between the 3rd and 4th quarter.

you've had enough tonight.

McBa1n
    Update your status

Very true - no doubt on how much bigger/faster/stronger players are in the modern game.
    Ever seen tape on Damon Deacon Jones or guys like "Night Train" Lane from way back (I know he was a DB, but still, forearm blows/headslaps were legal back then)? The game was allowed to be more physical even as recent as the 80s when they installed the '2 step' rule to prevent cheap shots on the QB. There sure were a lot of beasts even back then... Not as many 'freaks' like the modern era, but sheesh - no idea how most of those QBs even lived, because it was easy as crap to cheap shot a QB... And remember, they weren't wearing body armor that can stop incredible amounts of force.

Bottom line is, QBs have to be the toughest SOBs on the field - and it's amazing the abuse they take. There's WAY less major QB injuries in the modern era than there were 20-30 years ago due to rule changes, which makes the game way more fun to watch.

12 Last