James D
    James D's Avatar Become A Pro!

Does anyone here know who is to blame for the "one and done " college players?

Obviously there are more one and done players then ever in the NCAA game. It really does take a little from the game, although I don't blame the kids one bit for wanting to make money. Who do you guys think is to blame for the one and done college career becoming so commonplace?

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

NBA. It's their rule. The NBA and the NBAPA can certainly say they require 2 years playing experience post high school graduation.

It would make the college game better and maybe even the NBA better. Right now the NBA is a garbage product so they might as well try anything to improve it.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Sad thing is most fail and end up ghetto where they started

Most never make it in nba

Most are not ready

Change rule

3 years

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

It's a good question. My vote is for the NBA being at fault. The NBA is really the only sport I can think of where you have all these "busts" sitting the bench getting no experience. You can take the top 5 prospects and toss em in with the big boys and that's as far as they'll go. Remember Kwame Brown, Eddie Curry and Tyson Chandler? All 3 looked like they'd be overseas in yr 4 after rookie contract. Even after a year in college playing against 95% of kids that will always be amateurs you still don't know if they can play in NBA. Ennis? Wiggins? Embiid's back in 82 games?

Baseball, all soccer leagues, Euro hoops, they all have a club systems to develop guys. Kwame Brown might have been an all NBAer if he wasnt thrown into a sink or swim situation. Maybe the AAU youth clubs could sync up and be sponsored by NBA clubs like they do with soccer.

But the NBA would have to make it work with rules like if you play in college you can't join the NBA for 2 or 3 years. The college game protects their potential earn because they get to be men among boys and still keep the hype going. Having to prove yourself in a more competitive system has be their best option. Brandon Jennings is the only one to go play with men and it probably cost him 5+ draft spots in a crappy draft. He would have torn up college PGs and # 1 or 2 pick in that draft.

frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6810

You guys must be sh.tting me. NCAA's virtual slavery rules are to blame. I wish all the best to these kids who can get drafted into NBA and start making money, instead of playing for free and risking career-ending injuries, while the NCAA fat cats get richer and richer.

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

LOL who cares

everyone makes it seem like they'll stay there in college for 4 years

no one will pass up that money

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

These kids are cool with giving NBA a shit after 1 year...dosent work----Across the Pond ya go----Making pretty good $$$$

PaperTrail07

Yeah they would all go Jennings on em
    Quote Originally Posted by You mad bro View Post
    LOL who cares

everyone makes it seem like they'll stay there in college for 4 years

no one will pass up that money

You mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by PaperTrail07 View Post
    Yeah they would all go Jennings on em
    yeah man .. these kids arent ready but when they see the money of course they are going to leave .. just like everyone else would

its so rare you have a college kid stay due to "education"

PaperTrail07

Exactly....I mean you could get hurt at any point....Your FORCED to take the $$ and many of these players have kids so taking the $$ is the only option....
    Quote Originally Posted by You mad bro View Post
    yeah man .. these kids arent ready but when they see the money of course they are going to leave .. just like everyone else would

its so rare you have a college kid stay due to "education"

You mad bro

Exactly....I mean you could get hurt at any point....Your FORCED to take the $$ and many of these players have kids so taking the $$ is the only option....
    yeah its a shame .. but then again times have changed

father used to tell me stories about the older days when you had to wait out a year as a freshman and couldnt even play

as of a couple years ago you could have left after high school

the NBA is a shit product anyway

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Blame on Michigan fab5

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Why so many one and dones? It's simple... these kids come to the NBA thinking it's going to be a cake walk. They are so use to being babied at college and having girls adore over them etc. Now it's time to step into the real world... where it's a business. No time for fruits. They soon realize that they only had collegiate talent not big boy talent.

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11041

First guys to go straight from HS to nba were Spencer Hayward I think and moses Malone. If it was not for nba 'age 19 and out of hs one to get drafted' rules them u wouldn't see half of the great frosh in college to begin with

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11041

Quote Originally Posted by tony_come View Post
    Blame on Michigan fab5

Really?

Webber went 2 years
    Jalen and Juan went 3
    Jimmy and ray went 4

Time is Money
    Time is Money's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6389

Quote Originally Posted by frugalgambler View Post
    You guys must be sh.tting me. NCAA's virtual slavery rules are to blame. I wish all the best to these kids who can get drafted into NBA and start making money, instead of playing for free and risking career-ending injuries, while the NCAA fat cats get richer and richer.
    yep. paid college athletes would eliminate the 1 and done

not willing to get into a huge debate over that cause i know the tired "free education" argument but hey that's the truth

kids come up from the ghetto, agents throw a lotto pick lock into a kids face and he's 99/100 gonna jump on the opportunity, especially when they're pretty much all an acl tear away from going back into the streets with nothing

James D

Was just wondering who you guys felt was most at fault, some good points made ITT for sure. My opinion and I think evidence backs it up pretty conclusively is the reason we have so many one and dones now in college hoops is the rookies and future players were screwed in 2011 by the NBA players union. Tell me if you guys agree.

In 2011 the NBA owners locked out the players for 161 days. The two sides could not agree to a new collective bargaining agreement. It was common knowledge the players were going to break not the owners the only question was what would happen. The unions players did not want to give up any of its current or future money but they were also worried that it was already december and if they didn't make a deal soon they were going to lose the whole season and all the money that goes with that. The star players would lose their 10+ million dollar salaries for a whole year and the less important players would not only lose a years salary but a fresh batch of college kids would be coming into league to compete for their jobs. So how did the union come up with the perfect solution ? They decided to screw the next guy LOL . the way the nba players union got the lockout ended in 2011 was to agree to a rookie salary cap. Which locks rookies in for 3 years minimum to the team that drafts them and makes their salaries pretty cut and dry. It was a perfect solution no future nba players were in the union yet so the vote passed no problem. No current player was hurt, and the owners got control and power over the new players. ROOKIES IN THE FIRST THREE YEARS IN NBA ACTUALLY MAKE LESS MONEY AND HAVE LESS FREEDOM THEN ROOKIES 5 & 6 YEARS AGO. ALL OTHER PLAYER SALARIES HAVE OF COURSE RISEN. BY DOING THIS THE NBA MADE IT CLEAR TO THE YOUNG HS and COLLEGE STARS THAT THE BIG MONEY DOES NOT COME TILL AT LEAST YEAR FOUR IN NBA. SO IF A KID STAYS 3 OR 4 YEARS IN COLLEGE HE IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR A BIG DEAL OR FREE AGENCY TILL HE IS 26 YEARS OLD!!!! NO 17 YEAR OLD PHENOM IS GOING TO WAIT 7 or 8 YEARS FOR THE BIG MONEY.

hey my bad hit caps lock . Wasn't yelling at you nice people LOL

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

college basketball players go to college for 2 reasons

free meals and pussy.

and b/c they cant go str8 to the NBA out of high school anymore.

business as usual.

Time is Money
    Time is Money's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6389

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post
    It's a good question. My vote is for the NBA being at fault. The NBA is really the only sport I can think of where you have all these "busts" sitting the bench getting no experience. You can take the top 5 prospects and toss em in with the big boys and that's as far as they'll go. Remember Kwame Brown, Eddie Curry and Tyson Chandler? All 3 looked like they'd be overseas in yr 4 after rookie contract. Even after a year in college playing against 95% of kids that will always be amateurs you still don't know if they can play in NBA. Ennis? Wiggins? Embiid's back in 82 games?

Baseball, all soccer leagues, Euro hoops, they all have a club systems to develop guys. Kwame Brown might have been an all NBAer if he wasnt thrown into a sink or swim situation. Maybe the AAU youth clubs could sync up and be sponsored by NBA clubs like they do with soccer.

But the NBA would have to make it work with rules like if you play in college you can't join the NBA for 2 or 3 years. The college game protects their potential earn because they get to be men among boys and still keep the hype going. Having to prove yourself in a more competitive system has be their best option. Brandon Jennings is the only one to go play with men and it probably cost him 5+ draft spots in a crappy draft. He would have torn up college PGs and # 1 or 2 pick in that draft.
    the d-league is there, not everyone has to rot away on the bench. we saw flynn, thabeet go there to no avail. wolves sent shabazz to the d-league. it's there, a lot of coaches/organizations just dont implement it or it's no use

Embiid is a guy you take a shot on cause if he works out, he's a home run. nba docs red flagged sullinger and now he's a 13/8 kid in his second year with a developing 3 ball and has been healthy all season.

James D

Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    First guys to go straight from HS to nba were Spencer Hayward I think and moses Malone. h
    Spencer took a much much longer route then right from HS. HS kids were not allowed to go to league and also college freshman couldn't even play varsity sports! So he went to jr college one year then a year at a regular college then he went to the ABA and even after that the NBA didnt want him but he took his case all the way to the US Supreme Court and got into NBA due to supreme court agreeing with him and against the nba. Then the floodgates opened.

James D

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    college basketball players go to college for 2 reasons

free meals and pussy.

and b/c they cant go str8 to the NBA out of high school anymore.

business as usual.
    College basketball stars were getting free meals and pussy for the last 50 years yet the one and done players are rising exponentially now. Even when HS players were allowed only about 1 a year on average made the jump.
    The NBA collective bargaining agreement forcing kids to do one year of college started in 2005. The number of underclassmen leaving for the NBA was not that high. However it has risen tremendously in the last couple years. The number now is more then triple what it was between 2005 and 2011 The reason is the nba rookie cap deal of 2011. The kids know they can't be free till year 4 or 5 in NBA so they wisely get out there quick

James D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dozer View Post

But the NBA would have to make it work with rules like if you play in college you can't join the NBA for 2 or 3 years. The college game protects their potential earn because they get to be men among boys and still keep the hype going. Having to prove yourself in a more competitive system has be their best option. .
    The problem is if you make a player do 3 years in college and then four years he is locked in the rookie contract, which now has a salary cap, these guys don't get any freedom or a shot at a big contract till they are 26 years old. These HS kids think 26 is 50 and I don't blame them

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20334

Here should be the rule:

Any HS player can go straight to the NBA if they want, but if they choose to go to college they have to stay at least 2 years.
    Points Awarded:

DOM_Toretto gave KRIT 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by KRIT View Post
    Here should be the rule:

Any HS player can go straight to the NBA if they want, but if they choose to go to college they have to stay at least 2 years.
    i agree .

jjgold

Krit has a good idea

Many people here are forgetting most guys fail in the nba..might make a few bucks but end up broke and in the ghetto drinkign wine and smoking weed

Its sad

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Krit has a good idea

Many people here are forgetting most guys fail in the nba..might make a few bucks but end up broke and in the ghetto drinkign wine and smoking weed

Its sad
    JJ you white boys who are stuck in 9-5 office jobs are in the white collar ghetto.

Auto Donk
    Diggity man the fort, I'm outta here!
    Auto Donk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

These kids are cool with giving NBA a shit after 1 year...dosent work----Across the Pond ya go----Making pretty good $$$$
    not to mention the amount or Euro-puzzy these bbc motha fucka's are pulling..... sluttiest women in the world are in Italy and Spain (excepting certain central and s. american countries, who are on par with em).

as for who to blame for the one-n-done.......... duh....... nba

like my main n_iggah eddie murphy once said, "give a n_iggah rope, he wanna be a cowboy, Gus!" (what the penetrate that may actually mean I have no penetrating clue, but I guess it applies here as well as anywhere.)

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11917

Calipari doesnt help much.

Said a few years back draft day was most exciting day of the year for uk basketball

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

did Calippari ever play hoops?

smittyallsports
    smittyallsports's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6929

Some of these kids are can't miss kids when they step onto a college campus. If you are a professional basketball player then be just that. Leave HS and go D-League or overseas. Why go to college and be exploited without pay for one year? I mean did we just find out Julius Randle or Jabari Parker or Wiggins were likely going pro after one year? Why not go overseas and make a half mil or maybe more for a year? Come back after that year and jump in the draft. And then you have the jerk offs that will say, "What about the exposure you get from playing D1 ball for an elite college program?". If you are the goods they will find you. I don't care where you are. Why make these coaches and the university and literally any and everyone associated with the program rich while you can't see a dime? Makes zero sense to me why more can't miss kids don't go these other routes. College sports are nothing more than pro sports without the players on the payroll. Simple as that. The notion that if a student is paid that makes him no longer a student is ridiculous and has been pumped into our heads for years. This notion is entrenched into the very fabric of how we view sports. Stop pretending. Let's all stop.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: seaborneq

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22119

The problem is that u can make them stay four years which means most will enter the draft after high School. Now tell me do u think these GM's in the NBA will teach them all a lesson and not draft them? These fuks would draft every single one of them hoping to hit a gem.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by James D View Post
    Obviously there are more one and done players then ever in the NCAA game. It really does take a little from the game, although I don't blame the kids one bit for wanting to make money. Who do you guys think is to blame for the one and done college career becoming so commonplace?
    You can't blame a person or persons...each case is different because of the situation and that family, financial situation, educational capabilities, AAU influences, etc. and how they are manipulated by people, the system, etc.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Quote Originally Posted by Time is Money View Post

the d-league is there, not everyone has to rot away on the bench. we saw flynn, thabeet go there to no avail. wolves sent shabazz to the d-league. it's there, a lot of coaches/organizations just dont implement it or it's no use...
    Yea but its not a club system. Guys arent earning shit there to expose themselves. Most guys aren't under any team and can be claimed. Look at Julian Green for Baynern Munich. He was third tier team but other clubs were trying to get him on loan for big money. He could develop and then be brought back home after he had the experience in stead of sitting on the bench for an A team.

Quote Originally Posted by James D View Post

The problem is if you make a player do 3 years in college and then four years he is locked in the rookie contract, which now has a salary cap, these guys don't get any freedom or a shot at a big contract till they are 26 years old. These HS kids think 26 is 50 and I don't blame them
    Yea Im with Krit, "Here should be the rule:

Any HS player can go straight to the NBA if they want, but if they choose to go to college they have to stay at least 2 years."

The rule should be something to the effect of you must play 60 league games of post high school ball or be X years old.

jjgold

So many guys leaving again and most lucky to make 12 man roster

its a joke

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

One-and-done players have become commonplace. In this year’s N.B.A. draft, 14 of the first 41 players selected were coming off their freshman seasons at American colleges.

John Calipari of Kentucky was among the first college coaches to openly recruit one-and-dones. Now even former critics, like Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski, understand that to get the best players, they have to recruit athletes who intend to leave after a year.

The documentary that Mandt and Swade ultimately produced, which will have its premiere on Showtime on Friday, is at once shocking and unsurprising. The film covers Ben Simmons’s last year in high school, the buildup to the draft, his picking of an agent and his signing of a shoe contract, but its primary focus is on that year Simmons spent at L.S.U. Hence its title: “One & Done.”

Most of it takes place off the court. On the court, Simmons had enough good moments last season to solidify his status as a potential No. 1 draft choice, which he indeed became, going to the Philadelphia 76ers. (Alas, he broke his foot during a preseason practice, and it is unclear when he will play in his first N.B.A. game.) But Simmons was often criticized for not taking over games the way a superstar should, and L.S.U. wound up a mediocre 19-14. The Tigers failed to make the N.C.A.A. tournament after losing to Texas A&M in the Southeastern Conference tournament by the humiliating score of 71-38. The next day, Simmons dropped out of school.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/10/31...nba-draft.html

12 Last