Power Play
    Power Play's Avatar Become A Pro!

Lebron James vs Michael Jordan: An unbiased comparison

Not taking into accounts the awards, championship, and accolades (which obviously Jordan has over Lebron at this point) here are my comparison of the two. Note that I'm taking the pre-retirement version of Jordan (his first stint with the Bulls) because he lost a step even after his first retirement.

Overall Scoring: Jordan by a considerable margin. Jordan played in an era of handchecking and the flagrant fouls they call today would be regular playoff fouls back then. Even so he scored more at a higher FG percentage then Lebron both in the playoffs and regular season.
    Long range shooting: Jordan by a slight margin. Forget the 3 point shooting percentage (more or less a wash or slight edge to Lebron), the NBA 3 point line was much further in Jordan's era. If the in his prime Jordan has the 3 point line of today, he'll probably shoot almost 40% on his threes. That said Lebron has improved and when he's hot, he's very hot from downtown.
    Medium range shooting: Jordan by a large margin. Lebron has improved a lot (especially when he's going left to right and shooting from his "sweet spot), but Jordan was one of the best mid range shooters in history; almost as good as Dirk is once he was acclimated to his fadaway jumper. His shooting percentage will attest to that (over 50% almost every regular season and post season in his prime). How often does Lebron shoot over 50% in an entire regular season or post season? Granted, perimeter players are more athletic today but the rules favors offense more and there's a dearth of great centers. Plus the eye test. Lebron generally look slightly awkward on his jumpers while Jordan's shot just looks much smoother.
    Dunks and layops. Tie. Lebron is considerably taller and stronger than Jordan. Lebron probably can jump slightly higher (because of his height). Jordan certainly have the advantage in hang time and body control in the air. Jordan looks more graceful in the air and makes more difficult, contorting shots, but Lebron's height allows him to finish over tall centers easier than Jordan.
    Fast Break offense: Lebron by a moderate level. Even more so than Magic, Lebron is the best fast break specimen of all time. His height and vision makes him impossible to stop. His speed and athleticism makes his dunks or layups next to imposible to block. If their is a stat on shooting percentage in the broken floor, Lebron might be the most efficient ever. Jordan of course is no joke but he's not as good a passer in the broken court and his height may not allow him to finish with quite the regularity of James (even though that aspect is close because of Jordan's legendary hops).
    Fast Break defense: Lebron by a slight level. Jordan has very fast hands and excellent lateral quickness (as he showed defending against a 3on 1 fast break in a famous playoff game). However Lebron's height and his presence as well as reputation for coming up with blocks trailing the breaks often alters shots and intimidate players (like Derreck Rose a few times).
    One on one defense: Jordan by a slight to moderate margin. Lebron has improved in this regards immensely (Derreck Rose found out). However make no mistake, a young Jordan is the best one on one perimeter defender ever. Everything Lebron did against Rose, a young Jordan can do also. He's quicker and has faster hands than Lebron. Lebron is taller but Jordan was an expert at blocking/ contesting shots in a one on one situation also. Many people see Lebron dominate Rose one one one. Rose is too young with a limited offensive moves and questionable jump shot. Those qualities (along with his height disadvantage) would make him easy picking for tall, athletic wings like Jordan, Lebron, or Scottie Pippen. He cleared space a few times against Lebron but can't make his jump shot. To become totally unstopable, Rose must develop his mid range jumper and add a few more offensive maneuvers to his arsenal.
    Help/Team Defense: Tie Lebron is vastly underrated in this respect. The eye test will show just how much better the Heat are defensively with Lebron on the court. His height and athleticism makes him a constant threat to block shots from the weak side. Trust me this alters shots (as it did multiple times with Rose's layups). Jordan advantage is his awesome rotations and alert ball strips (2-3 steals a game in his prime). He's also less likely than Lebron to roam and is more contained than Lebron.
    Pick and Roll Defense: Jordan by a slight to moderate margin. Jordan was an elite pick and roll defender (one of the hardest defensive skills to master). He fights his way through screens very well and uses his excellent lateral quickness and hands to disrupt both shots and passes. Lebron's height and athleticism however compensate for much of his tendency to get lost in certain pick and roll situation. His blocking ability often allows him to contest/block shots he have no business contesting.
    Passing: Lebron by a moderate level. Jordan was underated as a passer (remember the finals against Magic in which he averaged almost 10 assists a game?), however Lebron is probably the best non point guard passer in league history. This versatility may be the reason Pippen stated Bron as the best overall player.
    Rebounding: Lebron by a moderate level. Jordan was among the best rebounding 2s but Lebron's height and power makes him the superior rebounder by a decent margin.
    Ball handling. Lebron by slight margin. Lebron's ambidexious nature gives him arguably the best off hand handle in league history. His height also allow him to look over the top of almost any defender. Jordan's large hands also gives him excellent handle and in his prime, he can score efficiently no matter which direction his defenders forced him.
    Clutch scoring. Jordan by a considerable margin. Lebron's athleticism and streakiness makes him a terror in the clutch but his off balance jumpers are oftentimes unpredictible and unreliable. Jordan's amazing mid range game makes him impossible to guard with any degree of confidence. He seems capable of unleashing a 50% shot whenever he wants, which is an extrememly high percentage in the end game.
    Free Throws: Jordan by a moderate margin. Look at stats. No explanation required
    Intangibles. Jordan by a considerable margin. Jordan's killer insticts is truely remarkable. He never had a bad playoff series. That is truely remarkable because Kobe, Lebron, and now Rose have all have had terrible playoff serie(s) in their careers.
    Athleticism: Lebron by a very slight margin. Jordan's faster(small margin), quicker laterally (moderate margin), have better body control, and have superior hang time. Lebron can jump highter, stronger, "looks" more athletic, and is almost as fast as Jordan. Lebron's size/strenght/speed ratio tips the scale ever so slightly to Lebron's favor but an in his prime Jordan was one of the most graceful athlete of all time.
    In short Lebron certainly have the potential to surpass Jordan. If he ever develop a consistent jumper he'll be
    much more reliable in the clutch. His height/speed/athleticism combo is unprecedented in league history but he must learn to shore up his remaining weaknesses.
    Points Awarded:

jcygts6 gave Power Play 3 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

Nice term paper. I agree with you on everything except
    when you discuss fouls in the Jordan era. I think that's when
    the calls started to favor the stars, such as MJ. Perhaps not
    as many as are called for LBJ, but certainly a lot more calls
    resulting in FT's AND NON-CALLS (re:travelling) than in the
    years prior to late 80s.

twelvejewelz
    twelvejewelz's Avatar Become A Pro!

zero

TheThreeKings
    TheThreeKings's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 120

I've only gotten through the first chapter of your report, but please explain your claim that the 3-point line was further when you Jordan played? Lebron easily has more range than Jordan and is a better outside shooter.

Also, the fact that you mention Lebron's go to jumper being a move from left to right seriously discredits the rest of your claims. Lebron is a MUCH better shooter when going right to left.

gangeriver
    The Best Closer!
    gangeriver's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

not unbiased, nonsense comparision. Personally, I can't compare the basketball god and a mortal human

mcaulay777
    mcaulay777's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16291

MJ is hundreds and hundreds of times better then James.Jordan if i rememberd never cried about not winning a championship and they built a team around him.While lebron had to go on National tv embarrass himself and admit he can never win a championship by himself and had to go to his buddies u would have never seen Bird,Magic,and those great players go on tv and say they have to go play with his buddies to win a championship.

RoagBettor
    RoagBettor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 297

Jordan could do things that Lebron will never be able to do. Lebron has improved tremendously especially in the clutch, but for those of us who have had the privilege of watching them both throughout their whole careers, it's not even close. And Bird was a better passer than Lebron will ever be.

Power Play

Quote Originally Posted by TheThreeKings View Post
    I've only gotten through the first chapter of your report, but please explain your claim that the 3-point line was further when you Jordan played? Lebron easily has more range than Jordan and is a better outside shooter.

Also, the fact that you mention Lebron's go to jumper being a move from left to right seriously discredits the rest of your claims. Lebron is a MUCH better shooter when going right to left.
    I meant to say right to left. Nice catch. The three point line was shortened temporarily in the nineties but I didn't notice that they moved it back. My bad. This is all opinions for the most part; I don't watch basketball that much anymore (except for the playoffs/finals). The eye test will tell you that Jordan was the better shooter than Lebron is currently. You're entitled to your opinions though thanks.
    Last edited by Power Play; 05-29-11 at 05:17 PM.

Jive
    Jive's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 142

Jordan continued to get better well into his 30's, refining and adapting his game. Let's see if James does the same. IF (IF IF IF IF IF) Lebron can improve in the same manner MJ did, then I think I'd say James is a better player than Jordan. However, Jordan was the ultimate winner, and that is why I would take him over James any day for my team.

wikkidinsane
    wikkidinsane's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 150

I hope Lebron last because jordan got his first title at 28 and LBJ is 26 now

leon
    leon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Lol,Jordan is far away the best player at the history of NBA.

Jackie Moon
    Jackie Moon's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by mcaulay777 View Post
    MJ is hundreds and hundreds of times better then James.Jordan if i rememberd never cried about not winning a championship and they built a team around him.While lebron had to go on National tv embarrass himself and admit he can never win a championship by himself and had to go to his buddies u would have never seen Bird,Magic,and those great players go on tv and say they have to go play with his buddies to win a championship.
    I couldn't agree more! MJ would never have given up and even Magic and Bird would never have joined each other. They where real winners

Scorpion
    Update your status
    Scorpion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15377

MJ is a man, Lebron is a fukking fa ggot

binomial
    binomial's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6841

Nice work.

Other factors favouring Jordan IMO are he was inspirational whereas LBJ is somewhat an embarassment and that he was more creative.

beyond
    beyond's Avatar Become A Pro!

it's obvious LBJ is way better

rickbo528
    rickbo528's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1931

Quote Originally Posted by mcaulay777 View Post

Exactly. No whining from MJ. Just raw determination to get HIS team there. NOT to team up with someone else. Le whine James will never be the man Jordan is. End of discussion.

me-first
    me-first's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

I'd take Jordan over Lebron every day of the week..

Scorpion
    Update your status

Poor Lebron James, he had to sukk Dwayne Wades kok for a championship

xxxvince
    xxxvince's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

i didnt get to jordan playing everyday during his prime.. only during his washington wizard days, i think lebraun is 95% of jordan... he will get the remaining 5 if he wins multiple rings.. dont have to be 6.. even 3 will do

headhunter34
    headhunter34's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 559

lebron vs mj argument is already dead. the media will never portray lebron in the light that they held mj

TheThreeKings

Quote Originally Posted by headhunter34 View Post
    lebron vs mj argument is already dead. the media will never portray lebron in the light that they held mj
    The media is also incredibly different now then when Michael played. I can only imagine the criticism he would have received for some of his antics.

Kindred
    Bitcoin=Freedom
    Kindred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 473

it's not even a comparison. comparing lebron to MJ is an insult to MJ

I hated MJ growing up a Knicks fan so not biased. They aren't even in the same league. The Bulls won those championships on MJ's back. He was the Bulls, without him they are mediocre at best. The self proclaimed "King" hasn't won a championship and had to move to a team with 2 other superstars to even get a legit shot at it. He cannot carry a mediocre team to the championship.

it's MJ by a mile. And if you watch the old games, not just the highlights you'll see there is no comparison. MJ carried the bulls and made everyone on his team better.

Kindred
    Bitcoin=Freedom
    Kindred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 473

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    Poor Lebron James, he had to sukk Dwayne Wades kok for a championship
    and MJ did it on his own

MJ was a nobody and just worked his ass off until he earned the media attention and the rings. lebron has been proclaimed king with no rings and was called the next MJ while still in high school.

MJ earned his respect. Lebron had to go to Miami with wade and bosh to even get a legit shot at a ring. And with no rings he's already been proclaimed the "king" of NBA. It's bullshit, you can't even compare the two players.
    Lebron has natrual skill but MJ had more heart in his left pinky than lebron does.

jizay
    Update your status
    jizay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Quote Originally Posted by Kindred View Post
    The Bulls won those championships on MJ's back. He was the Bulls, without him they are mediocre at best.
    When MJ first retired to play baseball, the Bulls won 55 games and took the Knicks to 7 games in the East. It is totally false to call them a mediocre team. The team they built around Jordan when he came back (after failing in '95) was even better, adding a third hall-of-famer to the lineup. It is completely ridiculous to call the Bulls mediocre without Jordan, while the Cavs did and do indeed stink out loud without Lebron.

NickDiaz209
    NickDiaz209's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by beyond View Post
    it's obvious LBJ is way better
    Yeah because 6 finals mvps < 0 finals mvps right?

NickDiaz209
    NickDiaz209's Avatar Become A Pro!

Poor Lebron, he will always be 1 ring behind Wade....greatest ever my a$$...he's not even better than Dirk or Rose

TheThreeKings

Quote Originally Posted by NickDiaz209 View Post
    Poor Lebron, he will always be 1 ring behind Wade....greatest ever my a$$...he's not even better than Dirk or Rose
    I think we saw a pretty clear answer to the Lebron or Rose debate last series, or did you not watch?
    Last edited by TheThreeKings; 05-30-11 at 06:16 PM.

AmpleGamble
    AmpleGamble's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 834

MJ>ALL. End of convo

Scorpion
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by NickDiaz209 View Post
    Poor Lebron, he will always be 1 ring behind Wade....greatest ever my a$$...

So true

Lebron is a dumbfukk

twelvejewelz

I think we saw a pretty clear answer to the Lebron or Rose debate last series, or did you not watch?
    We did, we also saw the refs will miami to win in each game of every series they played, while rose was getting hacked taking on 3 players at the rim and not getting any calls and lebron would hold his eye faking injuries and get the calls then wink at the camera because he knows hes a scam artist... Fair game, refs lay off they are pretty even weather people want to call lebron a king or not LMAO king lol, self proclaimed

TheThreeKings

Quote Originally Posted by twelvejewelz View Post
    We did, we also saw the refs will miami to win in each game of every series they played, while rose was getting hacked taking on 3 players at the rim and not getting any calls and lebron would hold his eye faking injuries and get the calls then wink at the camera because he knows hes a scam artist... Fair game, refs lay off they are pretty even weather people want to call lebron a king or not LMAO king lol, self proclaimed
    You really think reffing decided that series? You better not be betting on the NBA then...

Power Play

Let's not go overboard with condemning Lebron. A week or so ago most people considered him the best current player and Wade was blamed for his lack of performance.

NYSportsGuy210
    NYSportsGuy210's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 131

I read the whole thing and Jordan wins 8 votes to 2 votes no matter which top 10 basketball analyst experts you would poll.

A more comparable report would be LeBron James to Oscar Robertson or Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan Jordan to Kobe Bryant by the way.

Power Play

Also couple of reasons why Terry's having success against Lebron whereas Rose got ate up. Bron's strength against PGs is his length. His speed/agility is superb for his size but certainly not quite as fast as the speedier PGs. Isolating PGs against him is dumb because he lay back to ensure he doesn't get blown past and use his length to challenge shots(he's athletic enough to keep himself from falling over on a Rose crossover unlike most guys his length/size). So basically you're ensured a step back, challenged jumper with a hand in face. If Rose can shoot like Steve Nash, Lebron would get humiliated. However Rose's shot need work so he's stuck with low percentage shots. Terry is smaller and about equal to quickness as Lebron (slower than Rose). However his midrange/long distant shots (especially set or going right pullup) is excellent by NBA standards. He can use either a screen or a threat of a screen (Lebron turns his head slightly to see where the screen is coming from making him prime for a blowby or a nice look for a shot). His shooting skills aided by the seperation given to him in a screen makes him hard for Bron to contain all the time. Rose should never be isolated against Lebron(or someone long and athletic like a Pippen, Jordon, or an in his prime Kobe) before he become a dependable mid range shooter. It's just a bad matchup currently and he should always be aided by a pick in that situation.

twelvejewelz

You really think reffing decided that series? You better not be betting on the NBA then...
    Yes reffing decided both the celtics/heat and bulls/heat series. And i do perfectly fine betting the nba im up over 6 figures since jan/feb thank you very much.

12 Last