Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9183

NASCAR Cup Rookies 2014

Sounds like an awesome year coming up!

I love seeing the young guys moving up.

• Strong Sprint Cup Series Rookie class shaping up: The leading candidate for 2014 Sprint Cup Series looks to be #3-Austin Dillon, although relative stock-car newcomer #42-Kyle Larson is expected to be at the least his biggest challenger. #51-Justin Allgaier (not yet announced), #7-Michael Annett, Parker Kligerman, Cole Whitt (both at Swan Racing, two cars #30 and unknown #) and possibly #93-Alex Bowman (tested at Charlotte in a BK Racing Toyota) are will all be Cup rookies in 2014. This year's top rookie, two-time defending Nationwide Series champion #17-Ricky Stenhouse Jr., finished 19th in the final Cup standings.(Sporting News)(12-15-2013)

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Should be good rookie of year battle between Dillion and Larson. Possibly Allgaier but odd he hasn't even been announced as driver yet

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 29042

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    Should be good rookie of year battle between Dillion and Larson. Possibly Allgaier but odd he hasn't even been announced as driver yet
    if Ganassi program takes another step forward i think Larson might dominate rookie of the year..no question he has 10x the talent of austin imo.......but i dont think Larson or Dillon are even close to ready for the CUP series...but just never know til they hit the track...some drive the cup cars better for whatever reason

sad to see Dillon running the #3 full-time...he should have had to earn that car # imo

not because pawpaw owns the team

Vegas39

Quote Originally Posted by 5mike5 View Post
    if Ganassi program takes another step forward i think Larson might dominate rookie of the year..no question he has 10x the talent of austin imo.......but i dont think Larson or Dillon are even close to ready for the CUP series...but just never know til they hit the track...some drive the cup cars better for whatever reason

sad to see Dillon running the #3 full-time...he should have had to earn that car # imo

Yes guess it will be decided by Ganassi equipment for sure. Better rookie race than Stenhouse vs the Chick

Pretty much expected that once Grandkids made jump one would in #3 since property of RCR

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

Yes guess it will be decided by Ganassi equipment for sure. Better rookie race than Stenhouse vs the Chick

Pretty much expected that once Grandkids made jump one would in #3 since property of RCR
    oh i was sure he was gonna let him drive the #3 too for sure, just really dont like it though

like u said he owns it and can do what he wants with it....maybe most dale Sr. fans will be happy just to see it on the track again

Vegas39

Forgot until I just read that Stewarts old CC Steve Addington to#51 team. So if it s Allgaier he does have a shot at ROY

Optional

It was announced 3 years ago... maybe 2 but think it was 3 years ago.

That entire teams long term plan since buying out Braun's NW team has been to put Allgaier in cup in their #50. Number is only change in all that time.

Don't under estimate Allgaier or that awesome team.

Vegas39

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    It was announced 3 years ago... maybe 2 but think it was 3 years ago.

That entire teams long term plan since buying out Braun's NW team has been to put Allgaier in cup in their #50. Number is only change in all that time.

Don't under estimate Allgaier or that awesome team.
    i like him he may could win Rookie of the year. I don't get hold up in not announcing a driver there yet. Unless awaiting a sponsorship announcement

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

I have the fever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Optional

i like him he may could win Rookie of the year. I don't get hold up in not announcing a driver there yet. Unless awaiting a sponsorship announcement
    I doubt they will have shit together fast enough to compete with rcr and egr weekly next year... but they won't be fighting for 25th lkike the rest of the small teams like bk racing etc.

I would not be surprised to see Beuscher move up to make a 2 car team with Allgaier in 15 as well.

I know they are not the new Busch brothers, but I seriously LOVE the way this team sticks with their talent and gives them every chance to move up.

As opposed to teams like JRM and Waltrip who sack drivers at the drop of a hat in NW.

I just like everything that Turner Scott does in every series they race in.

I have the fever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm starting to feel it talking about this

shaunovery
    shaunovery's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

Ben kennedy driving for tms in trucks next yr

Vegas39

I think by week 8-10 they are competing with them opti . Especially with Addington calling shots on box

Optional

Penske and Ambrose to V8s

Here's an interesting story about Penske buying into an Aussie V8 team and possibly Ambrose heading back to the series to drive a Mustang for him.

(DJR = Dick Johnson Racing. FPR = Ford Performance Racing)

US motor racing legend negotiates with DJR, looks at FPR
    The structure of Ford’s V8 Supercars program could undergo a dramatic transformation as soon as 2015 with US motor racing legend Roger Penske seriously investigating a presence on the grid.

Penske has been in negotiations to buy, invest in or sponsor Dick Johnson Racing, but the factory-backed Ford Performance Racing team could also be as target for the billionaire who runs NASCAR and IndyCar operations in North America.

Penske’s interest in V8 Supercars and Ford’s interest in one of its key NASCAR partners getting involved here was signalled by the presence of Penske Racing president Tim Cindric and Ford Racing global boss Jamie Allison at Sydney Olympic Park last weekend for the final round of the V8 Supercars Championship.

The rumour mill immediately starting running full throttle about when and how Penske would arrive, but 2015 makes sense because that is when FPR’s recently renewed one-year deal with Ford expires.

The speculation is infuriating FPR owners Rod Nash and Rusty French, who only took over the team at the start of 2013 and have endured constant speculation about its future.

“It is just vicious rumour,” said Nash. “We have been trying to get Jamie Allison out for quite some time. He does 46 races a year and NASCAR has just finished, so given all that’s gone on with Ford this year it’s been good to get him out here. But there’s no strategy behind it, they just took the view ‘let’s go to Sydney and have a look’.

“We have no desire to sell, we have good plans and we are working on some good positives at the moment.”

There have also been suggestions that Aussie NASCAR driver Marcos Ambrose will return home to headline a Penske V8 team and the newly unveiled Mustang coupe will be the race car, replacing the soon to be defunct Falcon.

Of course, that plan depends on V8 Supercars allowing two-door coupes to race against sedans, something it is known to be considering.

While both men played down the significance of their presence in Sydney -- Cindric describing Penske Racing joining V8 Supercars as “a stretch as we stand here today” -- it has emerged Penske himself has been in Australia twice in recent months and has visited DJR, FPR, Ford Australia and its president Bob Graziano and new V8 Supercars CEO James Warburton.

And it’s not all been one way, with Dick Johnson, key business advisers and investors Steve Brabeck and Ryan Story and newly appointed team sporting director Campbell Little being flown to Penske Racing’s HQ in Mooresville North Carolina to discuss a business deal. Little also attended NASCAR and IndyCar races with Penske Racing.

In that light, DJR bolstering its stocks with Little, purchasing a second Racing Entitlements Contract (REC) and hiring young gun Scott Pye when 2014 sponsorship arrangements were yet to be locked down, makes a whole lot more sense.

Penske’s Australian interest has been heightened because he purchased the Australian distribution rights in October to Western Star trucks, which services 85 dealerships.

Throughout his substantial automotive retailing career he has always used motorsport as a promotional vehicle and understands its power as business-to-business networking tool. He has clearly decided to continue that philosophy here.

“What you have to understand is Roger didn’t come down here to look at race teams. He came here to run a business,” Cindric said.

“We have a huge business interest in Australia and his marketing for his businesses is all centred around racing. And the business is a big part of what drives the racing program… so before we make any decisions about how we leverage racing and business you have to understand the business and the people in it.

“I will give him feedback and then it is completely his decision about what he does in the near future or down the road.”

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013/motorsport-penske-eyeing-aussie-v8s-40530

Optional

I seriously LOVE the way this team sticks with their talent and gives them every chance to move up.
    Talk about the harbinger of doom!

No soon do I type that than i read this story about Beuscher leaving the team. lol

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...de_Series.html

Vegas39

Talk about the harbinger of doom!

No soon do I type that than i read this story about Beuscher leaving the team. lol

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...de_Series.html

Never fails buddy . That's funny timing

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

wow thats a shocker right there to me

unless hes just getting a muc better ride in a better series

i havent read article just yet

Optional

wow thats a shocker right there to me

unless hes just getting a muc better ride in a better series

i havent read article just yet
    A full time NW ride.

Big move to leave the family team though.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

A full time NW ride.

Big move to leave the family team though.
    depends if ur goal is to make it to cup series..im guessing thats it

might be his only opportunity ya know

Optional

makes you wonder if he has the talent to move up, despite being the son in law Allgaier has always been more talked up as the teams future. For years. Think they both came to trucks same year.

You'd think they would know.

But agree, good for JB if he sees this as a quicker way to Cup.

Vegas39

So thread got me wondering. Any books offer futures on rookie of the year

Chicago Joe
    Chicago Joe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 434

Actually 3 was Richard Childress’s number. Ricky Rudd drove RCR’s 3 first, than Earnhart. The time is right to bring back 3 to NASCAR.

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

I know the history of the car # joe, just don't see it. Dillon shouldn't Even be be in a cup ride much less driving that car.

And I was not a fan of dale sr. Or jr for that matter.
    Last edited by 5mike5; 12-18-13 at 02:01 PM.

Chicago Joe
    Chicago Joe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 434

I know the history of the car # joe, just don't see it. Dillon shouldn't Even be be in a cup ride much less driving that car.

And I was not a fan of dale sr. Or jr for that matter.
    I agree with your thoughts about Dillion, however Childress timing is right for bringing back number 3. Having his grandson behind the wheel will increase NASCAR’s popularity. For the sports better, the number 3 could be overpriced for a long time.

Vegas39

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago Joe View Post
    I agree with your thoughts about Dillion, however Childress timing is right for bringing back number 3. Having his grandson behind the wheel will increase NASCAR’s popularity. For the sports better, the number 3 could be overpriced for a long time.

Their was bound to be backlash whoever was driving #3. Just puts more pressure on his grandson IMO .

Optional

^^^ think thats why he said he was going to do it years ago. To minimize that when the time came.

Personally I doubt hardly anyone will dislike him running it. At least its a new generation driver with some connection to DE and the team.

Vegas39

Agree opti a few will gripe no matter the outcome. As long as Dillion doesn't let it bother him

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

Hadn't even thought about him being over priced from all the people that don't have a clue. Won't last long though. He won't run well. And I sure as hell would never waste a single $1 betting him that's 4 sure. No matter the price he Is

Vegas39

Hadn't even thought about him being over priced from all the people that don't have a clue. Won't last long though. He won't run well. And I sure as hell would never waste a single $1 betting him that's 4 sure. No matter the price he Is

Your thinking he he runs worse than Stenhouse did last year?

Optional

Your thinking he he runs worse than Stenhouse did last year?
    Ambrose said this year they rate themselves against the 4th Roush car as that is the same level of machinary they get. In those terms Stenhouse did pretty well (I hate to say).

But point is, Dillon will never have the worst car in the team.

Vegas39

Ambrose said this year they rate themselves against the 4th Roush car as that is the same level of machinary they get. In those terms Stenhouse did pretty well (I hate to say).

But point is, Dillon will never have the worst car in the team.

No he won't that's saved for Menard

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

He couldn't win in the nTionwode series even when cup guys didn't run. I think he does about as well as Ricky did yes. Not like he's gonna be running top 10s.

Different
    car and competition is just way to much for him. Least that's what I expect. His pappy can give him the best of everything but that's not gonna get him running well at this level. I just don't think he's got the talent and its gonna take him years.

he needed min 2 more years in nationwide series full-time. Maybe more
    Last edited by 5mike5; 12-18-13 at 11:58 PM.

shaunovery

My own thoughts are stenhouse better than dillon and larrson

Didnt dillon struggle on road courses in nw races so dont expect too much in those

5mike5
    NA$CAR PSYCHIC
    5mike5's Avatar SBR PRO

I totally agree Shaun.

stenhouse will be a MUCH better cup driver than dillon will be over the long haul. Just like he was in the nationwide series.

Larson I'm not sure, I just don't trust the #42 team or equipment so he's behind the 8 ball. Put him in better equipment he may be better than both. But the organization as a whole seem to be doing better so I hope that continues because this kid could be a star. BUT he also needed 2 more years FULL-TIME in the nationwide series. He has no business at all in the cup series already either imo

At Least thats my opinion between dillon and stenhouse. 17>3
    Last edited by 5mike5; 12-19-13 at 10:09 AM.

shaunovery

I totally agree Shaun.

stenhouse will be a MUCH better cup driver than dillon will be over the long haul. Just like he was in the nationwide series.

Larson I'm not sure, I just don't trust the #42 team or equipment so he's behind the 8 ball. Put him in better equipment he may be better than both. But the organization as a whole seem to be doing better so I hope that continues because this kid could be a star. BUT he also needed 2 more years FULL-TIME in the nationwide series. He has no business at all in the cup series already either imo

At Least thats my opinion between dillon and stenhouse. 17>3
    I agree can safely say dillon wont have any of my cash this season

Optional

I like Stenhouse, but he is probably near as good as he ever will be as a driver. It'll be whether he gets some luck and winning equipment ever if he moves on to elite level.

But Larson had had only half a dozen stock car starts before joining NW series this year. He still has a huge upside potential with experience.

I think he needs to compare himself to Montoya's first full season, with about same experience. He got 1 win and came 20th. If Larson does better than that I'd call it a great debut year. But of course I doubt he'll get that win.

12 Last