BGboothA
    BGboothA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 212

Gotham Stakes Breakdown

Long time no see guys! How is everyone out there?

Eleven 3 year olds with their sights set on Churchill Downs enter the G3-Gotham Stakes, with the winner receiving 50 points toward their run to the Kentucky Derby and all but assuring the a spot in the Derby gates. The 1 1/16 mile race on the Aqueduct Inner Dirt will feature two young horses that have yet to lose in their short careers.

IN TROUBLE – This is one of the most interesting horses in the field, the undefeated Anthony Dutrow trained horse hasn’t raced since the middle of September after an impressive win in the G2-Belmont Futurity. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSJQfWCp1z4) In Trouble ran just off a solid pace set by the 9/5 favorite Corfu, coming up down the stretch and pulling away over the final furlong without a great deal of urging from jockey Joseph Rocco. In Trouble hasn’t raced in 5 months and will take on 2 turns for the first time, stretching out from 6 furlongs back in September to a 1 1/16 mile seems like quite a stretch.

FINANCIAL MOGUL – After a poor showing in the Holy Bull Stakes Financial Mogul looks to bounce back and take on another graded stakes field here in the Gotham Stakes. Financial Mogul hasn’t been close in his last three starts which have all been graded stakes. He finished a far back 4th in the Belmont Futurity in September followed by a 2 ½ length loss in the Nashua Stakes. Financial Mogul is coming 2nd off a layoff and has been working out well but just seems over classed here in the stakes world.

UNCLE SIGH – The duel between Uncle Sigh and Samraat just a few weeks ago in the Withers was a race to remember. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ASff8sZ1PA) Uncle Sigh has only won 1 of his three races, but that single win was by 14 lengths and his two losses were by less than a combined 1 length. Uncle Sigh looked strong in his close loss to Samraat a few weeks ago and hasn’t ran a race with a Brisnet speed figure under 96. Uncle Sigh adds a bullet workout two weeks ago and looks forward to a rematch with Samraat again in the Gotham.

NOBLE CORNERSTONE – Noble Cornerstone was a disappointing favorite in the Sam F Davis stakes on the first of February finishing a far back 7th at less than 2-1. Some may point to the layoff heading into the Sam F Davis and now will be coming 2nd off the layoff. Noble Cornerstone will also place the blinkers back on after taking them off for his poor showing and could return back to the same form that had him in the mix during his first two races.

MONOPOLIZE – Nothing like a horse making a class jump after a poor showing against weaker horses in his last race. Monopolize is coming off a tough showing 6th place in an OC75k race in which he was never a factor in the overall race. While his pedigree points toward a decent runner at this distance, Monopolize hasn’t shown the ability to run a race close to the finish of a graded stakes. The addition of blinkers may bring some money onto this longshot, but in the end I don’t see him close to the finish.

DECEIVED – Another horse making a jump in class from a OC75K race is Deceived. The difference is that Deceived won his OC race by more than 8 lengths across the same Aqueduct Inner Dirt that the Gotham will be held on. Deceived took a big jump his last time out after losing to Samraat by 19 lengths in the race previously in December. Deceived may have a better case then Monopolize, but neither belong in the conversation regarding the Gotham.

CLASSIC GIACNROLL – We liked Classic Giacnroll going into the Withers, but he spent the race watching Samraat and Uncle Sigh battle and finish 14 lengths ahead of him a few weeks ago. After two solid racing moving into the route distance, Classic Giacnroll took a large step back in the Withers. A solid second place in the G2 – Jerome stakes seem so long ago and yet another rider change doesn’t point toward a horse that may not have graded stakes in his future.

SAMRAAT – Undefeated in four starts and coming off a two strong showing at over a mile, Samraat should be the post time favorite. In fact Samraat hasn’t been worse than 1.15-1 in in last three starts. The Withers finished with Samraat out dueling the leader Uncle Sigh as they moved down the stretch. The interesting aspect of watching the replay of that race (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ASff8sZ1PA) Uncle is that Jose Ortiz doesn’t seem to really be asking for everything Samraat had as he pulled away from Uncle Sigh in the last parts of the race. I don’t think we have seen the best of what Samraat has to offer and that’s scary considering the Wither’s is the first time he has had a horse finish within 3 lengths of the finish. Two back to back 99 Brisnet speed ratings shows his ability to win this race without a strong move forward. The outside post position could be a problem if Samraat goes out for the lead. If Samraat can show that he can rate just off the pace, this horse could be something special.

EXTRASEXYHIPPZSTER – On top of having the best name in the race, this isn’t a horse to overlook here in the Gotham. Extrasexyhippzster is taking a jump up in class that could be troublesome, but his last race was impressive win in the ungraded Miracle Wood Stakes at Laurel Park. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFffcMYVKPE) Extrasexyhippster is another horse that I am not sure we have seen everything from Julian Pimentel never had to test the horse in the Miracle Wood, and Extrasexyhippzster’s win in the Don Rickles Stakes wasn’t close either winning by an easy 5 lengths in 6 furlongs along the Aqueduct inner dirt. I will be interested in what kind of price you will be able to get on this one come post time, I don’t think he can beat Samraat, but if someone can it may be Extrasexyhippzster.

MASTER LIGHTNING - Being the most raced horse in the field may not help Master Lightning here in this field. Finishing a far back 4th in the Miracle Wood to ExtraSexy after a rough 7th in the Jerome doesn’t enlist a great deal of belief that Master Lightning belongs in this field for the Gotham. Speed figures aren’t anywhere close to what would be needed to win here and pedigree doesn’t point toward the ability for a huge jump. Master Lightning hasn’t finished in the money in four stakes tries and really hasn’t been within 6 lengths during any of those races. I don’t see his luck changing in the Gotham and he shouldn’t be part of the overall picture.

HARPOON – Harpoon is coming off a strong showing second place in the Sam F Davis stakes down in Tampa back on the first of February losing by a nose. The far outside post is not going to help Harpoon who is going to have to rate off the pace and will need help from the rest of the field to have a shot at the winners circle. Harpoon has been working out very well recently and looks to be in good form, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Harpoon in the money here and will probably get a few of the points for the Derby. But catching Uncle Sigh, Samraat or ExtraSexy is going to be tough coming through the rest of the traffic. If the pace is insane and the winner comes from the rear, Harpoon may have a shot to hunt down the leaders, but its going to take a perfect trip.

The pace in this race is going to be interesting the inside gates will look to pounce on the pace with In Trouble leading the way. It will be interesting to see what Uncle Sigh and Samraat do when In Trouble pressing the pace from the inside. In Trouble is a quality horse with question marks, they can’t just let him take an easy pace on the lead and hope that he doesn’t have the distance in him. But if one of them jumps out with him they may open it up to the other who rates just behind them. In the end I think its Samraats race to lose, he just looks too good at up to this point. I will be keeping my eye on ExtraSexy as a long shot who may produce some good value.

Draynay
    Draynay's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 186

Harpoon could be the one.

The track should be wet this weekend and the speed should get caught up in the mud. Will have to see how the track is playing.

BGboothA

Quote Originally Posted by Draynay View Post
    The track should be wet this weekend and the speed should get caught up in the mud. Will have to see how the track is playing.
    Absolutely, if its just cold and hard it should be a fast track and I will love Samraat even more, but if its wet and slows down, I think Harpoon or Extrasexyhippzster will be my plays.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9138

Normally wouldn't bet a horse 2-IN TROUBLE trying two turns for
    the first time in a stakes but like some of the other positives here.
    Solid beyers especially for that time of the year as a 2yo.Nice running
    style assuming he'll be able to also stalk in a route vs a sprint as he did
    in his first two races. 120k purchase as a 2yo a lot to pay for a horse
    who's sire has a $7500 stud fee and not much production on the
    dam's side. Tiz Wonderful out of a Grand Slam is way above average
    distance pedigree according to my sire ratings book. Very solid works
    at Pine Meadows coming in.

mrginandtonic
    mrginandtonic's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4332

Like all of your guys picks. GL. But I think that the 5-Monopolize will outrun his 30-1 ML, I think that getting blinkers for first time will help him to get in position. I just can't believe that a horse trained by Todd Pletcher and owned by Repole Stable and out of Bernadini will get a 30-1 ML. Hard not to make a few $ on the win bet with those odds.

BGboothA

Quote Originally Posted by JBEX View Post
    Normally wouldn't bet a horse 2-IN TROUBLE trying two turns for
    the first time in a stakes but like some of the other positives here.
    Solid beyers especially for that time of the year as a 2yo.Nice running
    style assuming he'll be able to also stalk in a route vs a sprint as he did
    in his first two races. 120k purchase as a 2yo a lot to pay for a horse
    who's sire has a $7500 stud fee and not much production on the
    dam's side. Tiz Wonderful out of a Grand Slam is way above average
    distance pedigree according to my sire ratings book. Very solid works
    at Pine Meadows coming in.
    I agree with everything you have here, but I just keep falling back to the idea of betting a horse coming off 153 days off and trying 2 turns for the first time. I won't be surprised if In Trouble puts up a big run and wins, but long term I can't make that bet. Good luck.

MrGin,
    I was quite surprised getting my numbers this evening and seeing that the 5 - Monopolize has the third best HBD late pace rating with a +0.7 along with a +10.9 HBD early pace rating. You add that to the ideas you just put out there and I think I may have a small play on him for the win. Especially if he drifts above that 30-1 line that he could take off at.

JBEX
    JBEX's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9138

Quote Originally Posted by mrginandtonic View Post
    Like all of your guys picks. GL. But I think that the 5-Monopolize will outrun his 30-1 ML, I think that getting blinkers for first time will help him to get in position. I just can't believe that a horse trained by Todd Pletcher and owned by Repole Stable and out of Bernadini will get a 30-1 ML. Hard not to make a few $ on the win bet with those odds.
    He was the other I thought was a little interesting factoring in the price.
    Expensive yearling whose shown signs of talent and they think enough
    to throw him in this spot has to be a good sign.. unless Repole/Pletcher
    saying eh what the heck.. don't think that's the case. Gets blinkers and nice
    middle post.

pulledclear
    pulledclear's Avatar Become A Pro!

What do the shts...oops I mean "sheets" say Boothy?

Draynay

Harpoon is in the 8 hole with 2 scratches..... I am all in.

BGboothA

Quote Originally Posted by pulledclear View Post
    What do the shts...oops I mean "sheets" say Boothy?
    Ohh pulled, I have missed you soo much. Nice to see some thing don't change.

Tell you what, just because I love you soooo much,

Here is todays full sheets for Aqueduct. Would love your high quality feedback on my picks.

http://bit.ly/1jIpBH1

harthebar
    harthebar's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9580

just a weather info , just was outside here, its very chilly not freezing light cloud, dry air, about 37 degrees if that helps you
    Quote Originally Posted by BGboothA View Post
    Absolutely, if its just cold and hard it should be a fast track and I will love Samraat even more, but if its wet and slows down, I think Harpoon or Extrasexyhippzster will be my plays.

BGboothA

Quote Originally Posted by harthebar View Post
    just a weather info , just was outside here, its very chilly not freezing light cloud, dry air, about 37 degrees if that helps you
    Thanks Hart

BGboothA

Nice day at Aqueduct for us! Samraat looked as good as I had hoped and 7 of our top picks were winners, the other three were our 2nd choices! Not a bad day.....oh and we hit a HUGE freaking trifecta in the 7th at Tampa Bay....

All in all I think the sheets are doing OK, thanks for asking Pulled. Good to hear from you as always.

Draynay

I went with In Trouble because speed was holding and was almost rewarded. He will be tough to handle going 2 turns next time out.

pulledclear

BGboothA

Quote Originally Posted by pulledclear View Post
    Your right. ..I should have posted the sheets well before post time...oh wait. ..

pulledclear