furtiv3
    furtiv3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Power Rankings to Implied Probability

Looking at Sagarin's power rankings, for example, how would go calculate the implied win probability of two teams listed if they were to play each other?

Is it just a matter of adding the two power ranking totals together and dividing each individual ranking by that total?

James Marques
    James Marques's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3692

Sport would help. Honestly, though, it's not all that difficult I don't think. Let's say you're working with NBA lines. Go back and look up the point spreads for the last 5 years or so, and then figure out what percent of the time the favorite won. If you plot the data in Excel, it should follow a logistic regression (low spreads --> around 50% win probability, big spreads --> 100% win probability). Once you calculate that, you can take the 2 Sagarin numbers and subtract them (and home field/court advantage, of course). That number will be the predicted point spread. Now, plug that number into the regression you just made, and you have an approximate win %.

Teamrankings.com should have exactly what you need. (At least, it did for my NFL and NCAA models).
    Last edited by James Marques; 03-17-14 at 12:51 PM.

furtiv3
    furtiv3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm specifically looking for straight estimated win probability if they were to meet heads-up. Example, if Duke vs. Arizona in NCAA basketball were to meet based on the season ending power rankings from the different sources.

James Marques
    James Marques's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3692

Gotcha. Well, from what I pulled off Team Rankings, since 2003 the data for point spread vs favorite win % follows the equation:

FavWin% = 0.15672 *ln(S)+0.47179 -- where S is the point spread (positive) for the favorite team

The R-squared value for this fit line is pretty good too at 0.9481. Might be good for a model.

So let's say Arizona is -3.5 against Duke if they were to play one another in the tournament. As a 3.5 point favorite, Arizona would have a win probability of 0.6681, or 66.8%. (This sounded high to me, but I looked it up and 3.5 pt favorites have won 64% of games favored since 2003, 1114 - 631 overall)

Is this what you were looking for?
    Last edited by James Marques; 03-18-14 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Typo/Research