Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

QB Mallett leaves Michigan, has interest in Vols

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3188170

This is because Rich Rod will be using his spread offense ASAP, and mallett just can't run his style of Offense. . .

rjt721
    rjt721's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 378

More than anything else this decision is a result of Loeffler, who recruited Mallett to UM, no longer being with the program. Rich Rod's love affair with Terrelle Pryor, the No. 1 HS QB in the country, also didn't help. Mallett absolutely could have thrived in Rod's offense, and anyone saying otherwise doesn't know football.

DeBord's an absolute moron and a terrible OC, but if it means getting Mallett, it might just be a worthwhile hire for Tennessee.

ShamsWoof10
    ShamsWoof10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

I think Mallet will be a good QB.. Tenn. will be lucky to get him...

BigOrangeTitans
    Go Kill Yourself, Thx Mgmt
    BigOrangeTitans's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

If Tenn gets him, do we become a top ten preseason team? Depends on the recruiting class but considering we are usually otp ten every year there, i dont think its too early to guess.

rjt721

Quote Originally Posted by BigOrangeTitans View Post
    If Tenn gets him, do we become a top ten preseason team? Depends on the recruiting class but considering we are usually otp ten every year there, i dont think its too early to guess.
    Mallett will have to sit a year and wouldn't be eligible until the '09 season.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Quote Originally Posted by rjt721 View Post
    More than anything else this decision is a result of Loeffler, who recruited Mallett to UM, no longer being with the program. Rich Rod's love affair with Terrelle Pryor, the No. 1 HS QB in the country, also didn't help. Mallett absolutely could have thrived in Rod's offense, and anyone saying otherwise doesn't know football.
    DeBord's an absolute moron and a terrible OC, but if it means getting Mallett, it might just be a worthwhile hire for Tennessee.

Rich Rod wants to run the spread option. . .

rjt721

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    Rich Rod wants to run the spread option. . .

Wrong. Rod wants to run whatever best fits his personnel, and he would have been more than willing to mold his offense to fit Mallett's strengths. WVU's offense featured P. White running the option because White was a significantly better runner than an accomplished passer. Back in '98, during his days as OC at Tulane, Rod's pass/run ratio was roughly 60:40 with Shaun King, who was marginally more mobile than Mallett. Tulane was undefeated that season and King lead the country in pass efficiency, so I'd say the results were pretty good.

UM ran a version of the spread with Henne, not exactly Vince Young in terms of mobility, in the bowl game against UF to great success.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Shaun king was much more mobile then mallett. . . agreeded that he would adjust his offense to his personal, but idealy he like the spread package with an qb who can throw, but also run the ball when needed. . . Mallett is slow as balls, and im not even sold on that guy anyway. . . Shaun King had pretty good rushing stats. i belive he ran for 500 yards and 5 td's his senior year, along with leading the nation in passing eff. . . Rich Rod will recruit a mobile QB i guarentee it. . .

mofome
    mofome's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wrong. Rod wants to run whatever best fits his personnel, and he would have been more than willing to mold his offense to fit Mallett's strengths.

i do not agree.

mofome

Quote Originally Posted by BigOrangeTitans View Post

the current recruiting class doesnt, typically, effect a teams preseason rankings at all. the vols new class will be much different though.

the vols should be top 10, but Mallett will be out a year where ever he goes.

rjt721

Quote Originally Posted by mofome View Post
    i do not agree.
    He'd prefer Pryor running the offense, but the point is that if they couldn't land Pryor and Mallett had stayed, Rod would have made the offense work. Mallett out of the shotgun with 4 and 5 WR sets would have been dynamite, even with Arrington and Mario's expected departure (UM is loaded with talent at WR - Mathews, Clemons, Hemingway, Stonum etc).

mofome

He'd prefer Pryor running the offense, but the point is that if they couldn't land Pryor and Mallett had stayed, Rod would have made the offense work. Mallett out of the shotgun with 4 and 5 WR sets would have been dynamite, even with Arrington and Mario's expected departure (UM is loaded with talent at WR - Mathews, Clemons, Hemingway, Stonum etc).

Rod did nothing to try to keep the best freshman qb in the nation. i believe that he has zero desire to coach a drop back passer like mallett. it will be his loss.

moving on, ive read that Ryan Mallett will be visiting Ark this weekend.

rjt721

Rod did nothing to try to keep the best freshman qb in the nation. i believe that he has zero desire to coach a drop back passer like mallett. it will be his loss.
    Mallett, who played in 11 games this season as Chad Henne's backup, would have had to adjust to Rodriguez's spread offense, and Rodriguez tried to keep him in Ann Arbor.

"I did it a couple times (with Mallett)," he said earlier Tuesday on the Jim Rome radio show. "I recruited him once, I recruited him twice, and after the third call, I'm thinking, 'OK, three calls is enough for me.' It's a great institution, and if somebody doesn't want to be here that's already here, you wish them well and move on."
    I think he's banking on his relationship with Pryor landing him in AA, but Rod, as well as Lloyd, made every attempt to keep Mallett at UM.

Did UT already hire Loeffler or did he just interview for a position? Anyway, if Loeffler's in Knoxville, so, too will Mallett, as he was almost solely responsible for Ryan heading to UM in the first place.

mofome

I think he's banking on his relationship with Pryor landing him in AA, but Rod, as well as Lloyd, made every attempt to keep Mallett at UM.

Did UT already hire Loeffler or did he just interview for a position? Anyway, if Loeffler's in Knoxville, so, too will Mallett, as he was almost solely responsible for Ryan heading to UM in the first place.

Coach rod was very callous in his recent remarks about arrington, mario, and Mallett. as a coach you have to recruit, recruit, recruit....even your own guys. Mallett was loving Michigan and, imo, he is the best QB prospect in the country.

Loeffler interviewed and he'll be back. some rumors say its about a done deal and some say its not. id be very excited if this kid landed in TN. watching the Army All-American game i felt that i was watching the best HS talent id ever seen at that position. i was telling my Mich pals that they had a future all-american and future #1 NFL draft pick. I hope he ends up in Ktown

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

moving on, ive read that Ryan Mallett will be visiting Ark this weekend.
    This is exactly right, look at his history of QB's . . .