JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11814

Jake Shields released... Bellator maybe?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/in-cutt...52661-mma.html

UFC cuts Jake Shields today to save money maybe? Zuffa has a lot of that money so I'm not so sure that's the case as yahoo sports claim.. Jake hasn't exactly lit up the octagon of late anyways....

Turning the page - He should do very well in another lessor MMA organization.. There is no StrikeForce now to fall back on, but I have a feeling Bellator will be signing him asap... Bellator seems to clean up on all of the UFC's garbage...

The Jake Shields name on the new Bellator PPV events surely can't hurt anyways... Just saying....

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/in-cutt...52661-mma.html

UFC cuts Jake Shields today to save money maybe? Zuffa has a lot of that money so I'm not so sure that's the case as yahoo sports claim.. Jake hasn't exactly lit up the octagon of late anyways....

Turning the page - He should do very well in another lessor MMA organization.. There is no StrikeForce now to fall back on, but I have a feeling Bellator will be signing him asap... Bellator seems to clean up on all of the UFC's garbage...

The Jake Shields name on the new Bellator PPV events surely can't hurt anyways... Just saying....
    It will make anyone who doesn't know who he is not care, and it will make anyone who knows who he is laugh and change the channel.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: marzwoody

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

I was a Jake Shields fan pre-UFC. Now I can't stand to watch his fights.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Jake Shields lost his relentless take downs and wrestling offensive after GSP shut him down years ago.. It's been down hill ever since.... GSP did the same to Koscheck... Hmmm? Either way Jake just faded with age or the comp was too good in the UFC for him at the highest levels....

I've been a Jake Shields fan from the start as well, but he is on the decline now and I believe that is what Zuffa probably saw happening as well.. Hense the cut....

He may still have enough in the tank to do damage in Bellator though, or another organization..
    Last edited by JIBBBY; 04-07-14 at 09:56 PM.

capone1899
    capone1899's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 122

Quote Originally Posted by JIBBBY View Post
    Jake Shields lost his relentless take downs and wrestling offensive after GSP shut him down years ago.. It's been down hill ever since....
    Huh? He just beat Maia and Woodley....two top 10 fighters. He also has wins over Condit and Lawler...so 4 of the UFC top ten

marzwoody
    marzwoody's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wherever he goes no one cares. have no desire to see him fight ever again.

Wilbo86
    Wilbo86's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2706

Sports Entertainment = Sports + Entertainment.

end thread

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

Quote Originally Posted by capone1899 View Post
    Huh? He just beat Maia and Woodley....two top 10 fighters. He also has wins over Condit and Lawler...so 4 of the UFC top ten
    IMO his fight with Maia should have been a draw and I don't think he deserved a win against Woodley either. There is a difference between squeaking out a BS win and decisively winning.

He showed in his last fight that he had no desire to win. He was clearly down 2 rounds to zero and then in the 3rd round instead of going for it all, he just does the same shit he did in the first 2. This is primarily because he is so one dimensional. When fans see a high profile fighter down 2 rounds and he doesn't even attempt to try and finish the fight in the 3rd, they are left scratching their heads wondering if this guy really even gives a fukk.
    Last edited by Kermit; 04-08-14 at 08:22 AM.

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22119

this guy got more wins that were disputed than any other athlete in mma today. He beat Okami also until u see the match.

mmaed
    mmaed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5003

Shields can still beat top guys but his skillset is boring and nobody wants to watch him fight. Therefore there is no upside to keeping him for the ufc. Let's say he rematches Condit and beats him. Is that good for the ufc? Shields will make it the most boring Condit fight there has ever been and Condit will get knocked down the rankings farther from a fan drawing contender fight. Meanwhile Shields will move up the ladder close to those same contender fights that are usually meant to be big fan draws.

Jim_Gunn
    Update your status
    Jim_Gunn's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think that there's more fights in the WSOF for Jake Shields than Bellator- Palhares, Fitch & Burkman for example. I'd prefer to see him there.

Jim_Gunn
    Update your status
    Jim_Gunn's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbo86 View Post
    Sports Entertainment = Sports + Entertainment.

end thread
    The WWE is sports entertainment. MMA is a sport.

Ron_Paul_2012
    Ron_Paul_2012's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3985

I would like to see Jake fight Askren then move over to WSOF and clean house over there. Bellator won't sign him for the same reason they let Ben Askren go. However, Jake is still a top 5 fighter & will continue to be for a few more years.

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22119

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Paul_2012 View Post
    I would like to see Jake fight Askren then move over to WSOF and clean house over there. Bellator won't sign him for the same reason they let Ben Askren go. However, Jake is still a top 5 fighter & will continue to be for a few more years.
    no top of the line wrestler who remembers he is a top of the line wrestler like Asken, is gonna lose to Shields unless Shields gets another gift decision.

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Yep, but those were questionable wins and I just don't see the same relentless take down style of Jake Shields being implemented in his recent fights like I use to see when he fought in Strike force.. I think he's lost his edge anyways, he older now and on decline but probably still has enough to clean up wins in other venues..

I'm still a fan of Jake but I just don't see him beating any of the top fighters anymore.. His standup is below average, his Jits is still top notch, and his wrestling and his ability to take fights to the ground if on the decline for sure...

JIBBBY
    JIBBBY's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Paul_2012 View Post
    Jake would end up on his back against Askren the entire fight and get pounded on for 3 rounds. Jake's only chance in that fight would be to pull of a sub from his back.. Probably not happening.. Askren is a much better MMA wrestler today...