THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

WSOF 9: Carl vs. Palhares (March 29, 2014)

NBC Sports Network, 9 p.m. ET
    Steve Carl vs. Rousimar Palhares (welterweight title)
    Marlon Moraes vs. Josh Rettinghouse (bantamweight title)
    Yushin Okami vs. Svetlozar Savov
    Josh Burkman vs. Tyler Stinson
    Ozzy Dugulubgov vs. Johnny Nunez

MMAjunkie, 6 p.m. ET
    Mike Corey vs. Shane Kruchten
    Sean Cantor vs. Bryson Hansen
    Chris Gruetzemacher vs. John Gunderson
    Brenson Hansen vs. Boostayre Nefarios
    Phil Dace vs. Danny Davis
    Gil Guardado vs. Jimmy Spicuzza

Last edited by THE_LOCKSMITH; 03-26-14 at 04:07 PM.

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

ya got a guy fighting Palares who is 21-3 with 16 subs. You know he isn't gonna sub Palares so this should be an easy wager. The problem is that Palares can get disqualified at any moment.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Okami -750. Maybe the upset train keeps rolling. You guys should totally bet on Boris Badinov at +450.

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

Quote Originally Posted by NunyaBidness View Post
    Okami -750. Maybe the upset train keeps rolling. You guys should totally bet on Boris Badinov at +450.
    I thought his name was Tuguoff?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Lol

have some of these names just been made up?! Ozzy Dugulubgov... For realzy?!

Dwil125
    Cormier Itd
    Dwil125's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 84

Not betting this card unless props come out for the main event, but I'm cheering for my boy Mike Corey

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5224

"Jon Fitch gets next welterweight title shot, will fight Steve Carl vs Rousimar Palhares winner at WSOF 11"

Skel
    Skel's Avatar Become A Pro!

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Carl-Not-Worried-About-Palhares-Holding-Sub-But-Does-Think-Hes-a-Tough-Style-Matchup-65797

Steve Carl
    defends his World Series of Fighting welterweight title Saturday against Rousimar Palhares at World Series of Fighting 9.

Ahead of the bout, Carl joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss his opponent, how he prepared for Palhares’ leg locks and more.

On whether he was hesitant to fight Palhares due to his reputation for holding submissions: “Not really, no. Stylistically is the only hesitation that ever went through my mind because stylistically he’s the toughest matchup World Series has for me. Before becoming champion, I would have been really hesitant about taking a fight with him, but once I got that belt around my waist, there’s not a person that they’re going to offer me that I’m not going to immediately accept the fight. I’m the champ. I’m here to prove I’m the best. That means I’ll fight anybody.”

On Palhares’ reputation: “When it comes down to him being a dirty fighter, I don’t really care honestly. If it comes down to him holding a submission when I’m tapping and not letting go, I’ve already lost the fight and that’s the biggest thing on my mind.”

On preparing for Palhares’ leg locks: “I’ve worked my leg locks. I’ve worked my attacks. I’ve worked my defense. But it’s not … like my camp was centered around leg locks. A lot of people, that’s the only thing they think about: ‘You need to train your leg locks for Palhares.’ Well, all right. Now how are you going to beat him? I’m not going to leg lock him; I’ll tell you that right now. So how am I going to beat him? I need to be training my skills so I can be sharp when I get in that cage, and that’s what I’ve been doing. I’ve switched my game up a little bit. I’m more aware of my body positioning and stuff when we hit the ground and even on the feet. You’ve got to be aware of how he comes in and get my hips back and away from him.”

Ron_Paul_2012
    Ron_Paul_2012's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3985

Quote Originally Posted by Skel View Post
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Carl-Not-Worried-About-Palhares-Holding-Sub-But-Does-Think-Hes-a-Tough-Style-Matchup-65797

Steve Carl
    defends his World Series of Fighting welterweight title Saturday against Rousimar Palhares at World Series of Fighting 9.

Ahead of the bout, Carl joined the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show to discuss his opponent, how he prepared for Palhares’ leg locks and more.

On whether he was hesitant to fight Palhares due to his reputation for holding submissions: “Not really, no. Stylistically is the only hesitation that ever went through my mind because stylistically he’s the toughest matchup World Series has for me. Before becoming champion, I would have been really hesitant about taking a fight with him, but once I got that belt around my waist, there’s not a person that they’re going to offer me that I’m not going to immediately accept the fight. I’m the champ. I’m here to prove I’m the best. That means I’ll fight anybody.”

On Palhares’ reputation: “When it comes down to him being a dirty fighter, I don’t really care honestly. If it comes down to him holding a submission when I’m tapping and not letting go, I’ve already lost the fight and that’s the biggest thing on my mind.”

On preparing for Palhares’ leg locks: “I’ve worked my leg locks. I’ve worked my attacks. I’ve worked my defense. But it’s not … like my camp was centered around leg locks. A lot of people, that’s the only thing they think about: ‘You need to train your leg locks for Palhares.’ Well, all right. Now how are you going to beat him? I’m not going to leg lock him; I’ll tell you that right now. So how am I going to beat him? I need to be training my skills so I can be sharp when I get in that cage, and that’s what I’ve been doing. I’ve switched my game up a little bit. I’m more aware of my body positioning and stuff when we hit the ground and even on the feet. You’ve got to be aware of how he comes in and get my hips back and away from him.”
    He's more focused on not getting into bad positions that will lead to leg locks. That is what is meant. I've listened to about half a dozen interviews of him & he definitely know's that if he can avoid getting leg locked in the first 5 minutes like Alan Belcher did than he has a great chance of victory. He has trained leg lock defense with ex-UFCer Kevin "The Fire" Burns. Obvious play is Carl straight hedged with Palhares via sub.
    Last edited by Ron_Paul_2012; 03-27-14 at 12:46 PM.

Wilbo86
    Wilbo86's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2706

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Paul_2012 View Post
    He's more focused on not getting into bad positions that will lead to leg locks. That is what is meant. I've listened to about half a dozen interviews of him & he definitely know's that if he can avoid getting leg locked in the first 5 minutes like Alan Belcher did than he has a great chance of victory. He has trained leg lock defense with ex-UFCer Kevin "The Fire" Burns. Obvious play is Carl straight hedged with Palhares via sub.
    Obvious play is obvious, won't everyone be playing that?

Ron_Paul_2012

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbo86 View Post
    Obvious play is obvious, won't everyone be playing that?
    Probably. Are you suggesting that the fix is in & that neither of those plays will cash because of some conspiracy?

Ron_Paul_2012

Quote Originally Posted by THE_LOCKSMITH View Post
    "Jon Fitch gets next welterweight title shot, will fight Steve Carl vs Rousimar Palhares winner at WSOF 11"
    John Fitch is one of the few ex-top MMA fighters that probably didn't use PED's. However, it is for that reason that he is now barely a top 30 fighter. Joe Silva is a master at judging talent & ability. He cut John at exactly the right time. Unless he finds himself a good Dr. & gets on a PED regimen he is finished as a top fighter.

mmaed
    mmaed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5003

Is carl vs palhares a five rounder? i doubt palhares can fight for five rounds.

Ron_Paul_2012

Quote Originally Posted by mmaed View Post
    Is carl vs palhares a five rounder? i doubt palhares can fight for five rounds.
    Yes it is 5 rds.

marzwoody
    marzwoody's Avatar Become A Pro!

Palhares getting kicked from the UFC was just a result of the PC Pu$$y brigade that seems to be running them these days..

Skel

http://mmajunkie.com/2014/03/wsof-ch...the-cage-with/

To address Palhares’ submission threat, Carl traveled to Texas, where he linked up with UFC vets T.J. Waldburger and Kevin Burns.

“My legs would hurt after five or six rounds of pulling out of leglocks,” he said. “But at the same time, it made me feel a lot more comfortable, because I saw the setups, and that’s what you’re mostly aware of. I don’t want to find myself deep in a heelhook with Palhares. I want to stop it before it gets there.”
    UFC vet Alan Belcher was among the first fighters to engage the Brazilian where he is strongest and said he was able to overcome the danger by constantly drilling submission defense with world-class jiu-jitsu players.
    Carl said that is a nice idea, but not a realistic one.
    “I didn’t have the resources Alan Belcher had,” he said. “I didn’t have world-class guys attacking my legs, so if I had a bunch of fighters who aren’t proficient in attacking my legs, then really, I’m just giving myself a false hope that I know what I’m doing when I get in that position with somebody who’s as skilled as Palhares.

“That’s why I chose who I worked my leglocks with, and I didn’t work them entirely through my camp; I worked them periodically through my camp.”
    Targeted to fight Fitch in June, Carl asked the promotion to fill his schedule this year and heard he would be facing Palhares several months ago. Still healing from a back injury he suffered in training for Burkman, he said he was forced to modify his training to deal with other nagging injuries and stopped training when his back hurt.
    The changes Carl has made in his fight preparation are not only for Palhares, but himself.
    “I didn’t sit there and pretend like in seven or eight weeks, I’m going to become this world-class leglocker and I’m going to have this defense to stop a guy that’s been doing it his entire life,” Carl said. “I don’t want to go into this fight only worried about a heel hook. I want to go into this fight trying to knock him out or choke him out. So I worked on me, just like always.”

Tommy Blingshyne
    Tommy Blingshyne's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 304

Quote Originally Posted by marzwoody View Post
    Palhares getting kicked from the UFC was just a result of the PC Pu$$y brigade that seems to be running them these days..
    that and the fact hes a moron that holds onto and cranks submissions after the ref steps in

Dwil125
    Cormier Itd

Played Corey ov 2.5 wasn't expecting to get a line out on my teammate since he's the featured prelim and not on main card.

marzwoody

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Blingshyne View Post
    that and the fact hes a moron that holds onto and cranks submissions after the ref steps in
    The question needs to be asked after the few seconds he held onto the submission hold when he should of let go, was his opponent hurt or injured in any way? if the answer is No which i'm pretty sure it is, Then punishing him for nothing means the UFC thinks were living in a world of "what ifs" he should of got a warning and told if he does that again he will be kicked, its pretty simple. The UFC decided to kick him, for something he did which had no bad consequences to his opponent. that's not even logical.

marzwoody

Yep sure looked like he was torturing mike pierce... sure looked like a lifetime before he let go.. what PC bullshit.

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

The question needs to be asked after the few seconds he held onto the submission hold when he should of let go, was his opponent hurt or injured in any way? if the answer is No which i'm pretty sure it is, Then punishing him for nothing means the UFC thinks were living in a world of "what ifs" he should of got a warning and told if he does that again he will be kicked, its pretty simple. The UFC decided to kick him, for something he did which had no bad consequences to his opponent. that's not even logical.
    So simple, in fact, that it is exactly what they did.

mmaed
    mmaed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5003

They should have been taking away his pay and giving it to the guys he interested.

In b4 MD says they already did that.

Wilbo86
    Wilbo86's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2706

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Paul_2012 View Post
    Probably. Are you suggesting that the fix is in & that neither of those plays will cash because of some conspiracy?
    Lol, no. Why is everyone so quick to assume conspiracy theorist. If most generic punters are on those play it'll push the line down erode any value. Might still cash, doesn't mean there's value. Haven't looked at any of the lines though.

Tommy Blingshyne
    Tommy Blingshyne's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 304

looked like he gave it one final unnecessary crank at the end...also, not the 1st or 2nd time this has happened w/ palhares

Ron_Paul_2012

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbo86 View Post
    Lol, no. Why is everyone so quick to assume conspiracy theorist. If most generic punters are on those play it'll push the line down erode any value. Might still cash, doesn't mean there's value. Haven't looked at any of the lines though.
    I usually bet lines like that right when they have the most value. Which is right when the lines open.

judochop87
    judochop87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 252

anyone like any of the dogs?
    Last edited by judochop87; 03-29-14 at 12:48 PM.

NunyaBidness
    NunyaBidness has a posse
    NunyaBidness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4507

Quote Originally Posted by judochop87 View Post
    antone like any of the dogs?
    I don't know. Why don't you ask him?

judochop87
    judochop87's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 252

fixed.

Skel

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/3/26/55...shot-japan-mma

"Savov is a student of the game and he has an aggressive style," Okami observed. "He's very good when it comes to grappling and he's also physically strong, I think his only weakness might be a lack of experience. On the whole he doesn't have any real weaknesses, but I feel like my overall game is on a higher level than his."
    Despite his past success, Okami says he is constantly refining his craft, both with long hours in the gym and through analyzing his past performances.
    "I've studied my past fights, and tried to learn from them what I need to work on in order to make improvements to my overall game," Okami revealed. "I want to show fans how good I am in my next fight."
    For part of his training in preparation for the bout against Savov, Oakmi hooked up with his former opponent turned close friend and training partner Chael Sonnen, who was in Brazil at the time serving as a coach on The Ultimate Fighter: "Brazil."
    "I trained for this fight in Brazil with Chael and also in Japan at my dojo," Okami said. "I went to Brazil to be a coach on Chael's team. I was able to work out with the Brazilian fighters and with Chael. It was an extremely stimulating experience. I think it made me a better fighter heading into this weekend's fight."

Dwil125
    Cormier Itd

"I’d like to show everyone the new style of Yushin Okami,” he said. “After this fight, I hope to fight for the championship"
    I have U2.5 at +155 in the Okami fight parlayed with Martinez from last night, I think its a mismatch and Savov might get overwhelmed. Okami is talking about changing his style up. I am not sure if I buy it or if that is exactly what he said, but I think he finds a finish here style change or not.
    Last edited by Dwil125; 03-29-14 at 04:09 PM. Reason: bigger size font

Dwil125
    Cormier Itd

I'm also a pretty big fan of Okami... so I might be kind of bias.

Mercersux
    Mercersux's Avatar Become A Pro!

What you guys think about Moraes-Rettinghouse? Think it's as much if a mismatch as the price indicates? I see Moraes winning but a bit tougher going than people think. Also, I'm not buying the palhares bs. Guy stinks. Carl to the bank.

Bumdeal
    Twirling his mustache
    Bumdeal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2984

Moraes and Okami are in many parlays for me. I try to stay away from favs like this but I just don't see either losing.

Skel

Quote Originally Posted by Dwil125 View Post
    "I’d like to show everyone the new style of Yushin Okami,” he said. “After this fight, I hope to fight for the championship"
    I have U2.5 at +155 in the Okami fight parlayed with Martinez from last night, I think its a mismatch and Savov might get overwhelmed. Okami is talking about changing his style up. I am not sure if I buy it or if that is exactly what he said, but I think he finds a finish here style change or not.
    I've actually considering the over at -135. As crazy as it seems to bet the over on such a mismatched fight, it's hard for a fighter to switch their style up all of a sudden. Whether it plays out on the feet or the mat, I think Okami gets a dominant decision. Slavov is a bit of a question mark, though. His last fight was in October 2012 and he showed an insufficient gas tank in his fight against Vasilevsky. Unless he's improved a lot I think his only way to win is by submission or knockout (very unlikely).

Dwil125
    Cormier Itd

Lines are inflated though. I have Moraes in one small parlay at -490 I think it was. I like Okami too, but his line is crazy.

1234 Last