Betpoints: 5218

UFC 167: St. Pierre Vs Hendricks

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
    Georges St-Pierre vs. Johny Hendricks - for welterweight title
    Rashad Evans vs. Chael Sonnen
    Robbie Lawler vs. Rory MacDonald
    Josh Koscheck vs. Tyron Woodley
    Ali Bagautinov vs. Tim Elliott

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)
    Donald Cerrone vs. Evan Dunham
    Ed Herman vs. Thales Leites
    Brian Ebersole vs. Rick Story
    Edwin Figueroa vs. Erik Perez

PRELIMINARY CARD (MMAjunkie.com, 6:45 p.m. ET)
    Jason High vs. Anthony Lapsley
    Vaughan Lee vs. Sergio Pettis
    Cody Donovan vs. Robert Drysdale

Last edited by sbr.rodrigo; 12-18-14 at 01:48 PM.

Noleafclover
    Noleafclover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3010

Chael P @ dog money is tempting.

The iron sheik
    The iron sheik's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Does anyone here think Hendricks is playable (I don't)? If so, why?

Not sure iirc but the last time GSP was that cheap was against Thiago....?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

yeah people fell for the hype about Thiago Alves' takedown defence after that fight against Koscheck. Hendricks at least has knockout power though and there are question marks about GSP's mentality going in to this one after the talk about retiring and feelin let down by UFC

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

For those who haven't noticed: GSP is strongly declining. Watch that Diaz fight again and tell me that he isn't past his prime, whether due to injury or mileage.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!

GSP probably has peaked but will Hendricks be the one to take advantage. He has the "punchers chance" but GSP is not Kampmann, he'll be looking for that big shot and with his footwork he keep Hendricks at the end of his jab and out of danger. I'm guessing it wil play out like the Macdonald/Ellenberger fight where Hendricks looks for the big shot and eats jabs all night

Sykes
    Sykes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 273

In his last few fights hes had one or two rounds in them where he takes alot of shots, if he does that with Hendricks I see him getting KO'd - he looked real beat up after his last fight, everyone loses at some point maybe its GSP's time.

Boddhissatva
    Boddhissatva's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1140

If Big Rigg doesn't get that Ko in the first couple rounds I see GSP cruising to another UD, maybe even a late sub.

Thor4140
    Thor4140's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 22125

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    For those who haven't noticed: GSP is strongly declining. Watch that Diaz fight again and tell me that he isn't past his prime, whether due to injury or mileage.
    i sense this big when we talked about his fight with Diaz. There was talk of a Achilles problem which could explain it if this is the case but i doubt we will know till after the fight. I never heard of a bad Achilles getting better thru therapy but i could be wrong. His speed with the take downs after taken Diaz down at will, was really poor from the third round on. Without that weapon he is in a world of trouble in this fight. It would be nice to see him lose to get some new blood fighting for the title like Rory. Heck i would love to see Condit fight big Rig again. I thought that was a great fight and razor close.

Thor4140

One fight i love i hope the line isn't much more than 2 to 1. Hope talk about it is even less.

mmaed
    mmaed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5003

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/20...hilles-trainer

mmaed

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/3/20...az-ufc-158-mma He was injured for that fight. He also beat Carlos condit 50-45, 50-45, and 49 46 after a year and a half layoff and a knee surgery. I think its safe to say GSP isn't strongly declining. I don't doubt that he is no longer as motivated but he clearly isn't declining.

MD

You're right, he must have gassed because he injured his leg. That's why he was getting tagged by Nick's shots in R3, too.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by mmaed View Post
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/3/20...az-ufc-158-mma He was injured for that fight. He also beat Carlos condit 50-45, 50-45, and 49 46 after a year and a half layoff and a knee surgery. I think its safe to say GSP isn't strongly declining. I don't doubt that he is no longer as motivated but he clearly isn't declining.
    His last three fights were Shields, who took two rounds off of him with his awful striking (yes, "eye poke", but Georges clearly gassed and slowed down considerably), Condit, who knocked him down and almost finished him with a head kick, and Nick Diaz, who is a stylistic dream match for him, against whom he gassed horribly, got tagged by Diaz multiple times on the feet, and just generally looked terrible. He's coming off of the three most uninspired and unimpressive performances of his career. He is very clearly on the decline. His next fight will tell us a lot about whether it's because of his layoff and his seeming lack of motivation, or because his body is worn down and he's exiting his prime.

Sacrelicious
    Sacrelicious's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1223

His last three fights were Shields, who took two rounds off of him with his awful striking (yes, "eye poke", but Georges clearly gassed and slowed down considerably), Condit, who knocked him down and almost finished him with a head kick, and Nick Diaz, who is a stylistic dream match for him, against whom he gassed horribly, got tagged by Diaz multiple times on the feet, and just generally looked terrible. He's coming off of the three most uninspired and unimpressive performances of his career. He is very clearly on the decline. His next fight will tell us a lot about whether it's because of his layoff and his seeming lack of motivation, or because his body is worn down and he's exiting his prime.
    This is essentially correct. The fact that he took the damage he did during the Diaz fight was, quite frankly, shocking.

That being said, I have bet GSP here, and if the line gets better I will bet him a bit more, but it sure as hell is not a large bet.

Thor4140

I don't see it that way at all. Shield was getting completely dominated in every area until that eyepoke. Condit lost every round but one and Condit happens to be a tough son of a gun. Now the third fight with Diaz. Diaz was getting toyed with until GSP shots were getting a lot slower . Now that fight is the one where u could possibly see him slowing if this injury excuse is bogus. Diaz also was getting dominated. He looked completely over matched those first two rounds.

varkolek
    varkolek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2430

Quote Originally Posted by Thor4140 View Post
    I don't see it that way at all. Shield was getting completely dominated in every area until that eyepoke. Condit lost every round but one and Condit happens to be a tough son of a gun. Now the third fight with Diaz. Diaz was getting toyed with until GSP shots were getting a lot slower . Now that fight is the one where u could possibly see him slowing if this injury excuse is bogus. Diaz also was getting dominated. He looked completely over matched those first two rounds.
    Yes, that judges were giving Shields rounds was surprising, and could only be explained by the blood he drew on GSP's face.

Nick Diaz would beat any mma fighter who traded with him in boxing. GSP isn't an offensive fighter, and only ever defuses his opponent's skill set. That he could beat Diaz on the feat was impressive, by using shooto boxing or whatever he called it to avoid trading with Diaz in boxing range.

I don't think I had a bet on it, knew GSP couldn't finish Diaz but thought he might open cuts and force a stoppage, but Diaz's defense on the ground was too good, and actually it was surprising GSP couldn't threaten him at all.

The performance by both GSP and Diaz was extremely impressive. The only negative thing about GSP's performance is he gassed - I guess that could be because the weight cutting is starting to catch up with him.
    Last edited by varkolek; 10-28-13 at 12:56 PM.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by varkolek View Post
    Yes, that judges were giving Shields rounds was surprising, and could only be explained by the blood he drew on GSP's face.

Nick Diaz would beat any mma fighter who traded with him in boxing. GSP isn't an offensive fighter, and only ever defuses his opponent's skill set. That he could beat Diaz on the feat was impressive, by using shooto boxing or whatever he called it to avoid trading with Diaz in boxing range.

I don't think I had a bet on it, knew GSP couldn't finish Diaz but thought he might open cuts and force a stoppage, but Diaz's defense on the ground was too good, and actually it was surprising GSP couldn't threaten him at all.

The performance by both GSP and Diaz was extremely impressive.
    The only negative thing about GSP's performance is he gassed - I guess that could be because the weight cutting is starting to catch up with him.
    ??? They both looked awful. Part of what makes GSP's performance so baffling is that Diaz looked terrible, too. I've never seen him look less active on the ground, or more lackadaisical on the feet.

THE_LOCKSMITH
    THE_LOCKSMITH's Avatar Become A Pro!

??? They both looked awful. Part of what makes GSP's performance so baffling is that Diaz looked terrible, too. I've never seen him look less active on the ground, or more lackadaisical on the feet.
    Diaz looked terrible because GSP made him look terrible. Inactive on the ground because he was scared to get in a worse position, and tentative on the feet in fear of getting taken down. No secret here GSP is hard to look good against, he will smother you.

mmaed

You're right, he must have gassed because he injured his leg. That's why he was getting tagged by Nick's shots in R3, too.
    Try reading the article smartass.

Thor4140

i have to watch that fight again but i agree Diaz ground game was non existent. I don't remember him doing much but get smothered.

varkolek
    varkolek's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2430

Diaz always looks lackadaisical on the feet, unless his opponent will engage him. Diaz is the opposite of a strategic or points fighter. What's impressive is that GSP never allowed him to get any offence, and actually landed a couple of significant strikes instead of just landing leg kicks constantly and pivoting away like Condit did against Diaz. At least GSP could stop Diaz in his tracks instead of just pivoting and running like Condit.

And how many people could GSP take down and do absolutely nothing to? Not land 1 significant strike on the ground, Diaz stopped GSP from having any offence there and GSP had to let him up after each take down. Obviously Diaz isn't going to outwrestle GSP and is unlikely to catch him with an arm bar.

GSP defused Diaz's striking standing, and Diaz defended anything GSP could attempt on the ground. In a stalemate nothing happens.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

I imagine there were a few sackings after this!...

The new UFC 167 commercial spot proved to be dangerous endeavor for one of its subjects.

While filming the commercial last month in Los Angeles, Johny Hendricks suffered a second-degree burn on his back because the lights used to film the spot were placed too close to him, his manager Ted Ehrhardt confirmed with MMAFighting.com
    Ehrhardt said Hendricks tried to resume his training two days later, however, the burn was bothering him too much so he went to a doctor who prescribed an ointment to help heal it. Ehrhardt said Hendricks, who wasn't available to speak about the incident, missed one-to-two days of training, and the injury healed in a week.
    "Johny never gets pissed off about anything," Ehrhardt said. "He was just mad that it was messing up his training, that's all."
    A photo of the injury, courtesy of Ehrhardt, can be seen below.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

"I 'av the ad-van-taje to beat Johnny 'Endrix"!

GSP broke the record in that episode for the amount of times a human being has ever said "ad-van-taje" in space of 5 minutes!

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

ahh no wonder GSP's face looks beat up...interesting that they brought Story in to spar with him considering he's known to be retarded and just goes ape shit on sparring partners!

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Last edited by sbr.rodrigo; 12-18-14 at 01:49 PM.

Thor4140

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    ahh no wonder GSP's face looks beat up...interesting that they brought Story in to spar with him considering he's known to be retarded and just goes ape shit on sparring partners!
    V seriously is GSP British?

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

iz brotha is Dan 'Ardeeee

Noleafclover
    Noleafclover's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3010

Ownly GSP accents iz 'ere in dis thread

mirinquads
    Eat my enormous ballsack boys
    mirinquads's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7742

=
    'Abby Birfday, to da UeeffCCee
    Last edited by sbr.rodrigo; 12-18-14 at 01:49 PM.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

lol

Thor4140

iz brotha is Dan 'Ardeeee
    http://instagram.com/p/gJugbfpP5l/#

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Sorry fellaz, bad news Im afraid. Suffered a serious injury last night during training and unfortunately not going to be recovered in time for the Sergio Pettis fight. Was rolling with my boi Gaberz "Makes a Billion" Killian at training last night and he caught me in a slick moderate to large filkens arm-bar. I tried to keep calm and escape but he rolled over and put his hairy gooch in my face which unsurprisingly made me panic and led to me tryin to yank my arm away which led to a slight tare in not only my bicep but also my glutumus maximus. I'll be back tho bois, dont you worry.
    http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Inj...o-Pettis-58871

1234 ... Last