Manny Pacquiao vs Brandon Rios in Macau, November 23rd

Well... Looks like Pac is fighting Rios in Macau on the 23rd
    -_-
    I was hoping for Alvarado... but what a freaking waste

ballahollic2
    Update your status
    ballahollic2's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10716

Why is it a waste in your opinion? I personally love the fight. Rios or Alvarado are essentially the same. It was never going to be mayweather and I really don't care to see another marquez matchup so when marquez and bradley signed i was fine with rios or alvarado. Should be a war.

hougigo
    hougigo's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by ballahollic2 View Post
    Why is it a waste in your opinion? I personally love the fight. Rios or Alvarado are essentially the same. It was never going to be mayweather and I really don't care to see another marquez matchup so when marquez and bradley signed i was fine with rios or alvarado. Should be a war.
    Nahhh man, nowhere near the same.
    Alvarado can at least box.... Rios... straight telephone both fighter that'll chase you and not bother cutting off the ring. He has literally 0 boxing ability and has the whole puncher's chance going for him.
    You're right though, this'll be a very entertaining fight.
    I meant competition wise.... Rios doesn't really pose a problem, unless Pac has really lost it.
    This should be a replay of Pac/Margo but ending in a KO.
    Rios is the kind of fighter that made Pac look like an offensive whirlwind.

ballahollic2
    Update your status
    ballahollic2's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10716

Quote Originally Posted by hougigo View Post
    Nahhh man, nowhere near the same.
    Alvarado can at least box.... Rios... straight telephone both fighter that'll chase you and not bother cutting off the ring. He has literally 0 boxing ability and has the whole puncher's chance going for him.
    You're right though, this'll be a very entertaining fight.
    I meant competition wise.... Rios doesn't really pose a problem, unless Pac has really lost it.
    This should be a replay of Pac/Margo but ending in a KO.
    Rios is the kind of fighter that made Pac look like an offensive whirlwind.
    I agree with that. I didn't mean stylistically that they were 100% the same, I just think talent wise they are similar as far as a win vs either looks equally as solid more or less. I think Rios is a better matchup for Pacquiao for the reasons you mentioned. Although Alvarado just recently showed the ability to somewhat box in that last fight with Rios. I always viewed him as not much more then a brawler himself. He fought that last fight superbly though. I do think a fight vs either guy should end with a win for Pac. I don't think Pac has lost it, unless that punch still has lingering effects. I thought he looked good/great vs Marquez besides getting over aggressive and opening himself up to get bombed. Maybe inevitably it was bound to happen but I thought Pacquiao was dominating that fight vs Marquez minus the 2 big shots he let land and don't think Marquez had a chance to win that fight unless he did what he did. I'd rather see a Rios-Pac fight then see pac fight bradley or marquez again just from a pure excitement factor

hockey216
    hockey216's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

pacquiao's fighting a lightweight that lost his last fight. pacquiao got knocked out by last lightweight he faced. is there any pactard that can still deny mayweather is better?

hockey216
    hockey216's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

hougigo

Quote Originally Posted by hockey216 View Post
    pacquiao's fighting a lightweight that lost his last fight. pacquiao got knocked out by last lightweight he faced. is there any pactard that can still deny mayweather is better?
    ?
    Rios is a JWW and Marquez's last 4 fights were at JWW and WW.
    You appear to be salty?

Rubber Guard
    Rubber Guard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5152

Mayweather most likely beats Manny, especially now. But I'd rather watch a Manny fight over a Floyd fight any day of the week. Manny puts himself on the line each time out. He went out last fight guns blazing, vs. an extra juiced up counter puncher, who knows him better than anyone. When you fight to put on a show for the fans, you may get caught eventually.

Boxscout
    Update your status
    Boxscout's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think Alvarado is injured, which might be part of the reason. Of course, doesn't hurt that Rios is a bigger name and better matchup for Manny. According to twitter, Manny is -450, Rios +300.

visualrealism
    visualrealism's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 684

Should be a great fight! War Manny!

hougigo

Quote Originally Posted by Boxscout View Post
    I think Alvarado is injured, which might be part of the reason. Of course, doesn't hurt that Rios is a bigger name and better matchup for Manny. According to twitter, Manny is -450, Rios +300.
    Awesome sauce... i could see it going down once people watch Rios highlights thinking he's a Mexican that'll wreck Pac

HauntingTheHoly
    HauntingTheHoly's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 483

I actually thought it might be Floyd/Pac. But I'm guessing the Pac camp isn't gonna take the reduced amount of money that they *should* take now - just out of indignation that Floyd was being such a bitch a few years ago when the fight was really rich.

hougigo

Quote Originally Posted by HauntingTheHoly View Post
    I actually thought it might be Floyd/Pac. But I'm guessing the Pac camp isn't gonna take the reduced amount of money that they *should* take now - just out of indignation that Floyd was being such a bitch a few years ago when the fight was really rich.
    The fight between the two is an illusion.
    Never going to happen.
    Mayweather has a longtime deal with Showtime and Pac with HBO. No way either will budge...slight chance they'd work together.
    Also, as long as Pac is with Arum, a Mayweather fight is out of question. Arum is fine milking Pac, and would rather have multiplel milk days than one big one

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

The fight between the two is an illusion.
    Never going to happen.
    Mayweather has a longtime deal with Showtime and Pac with HBO. No way either will budge...slight chance they'd work together.
    Also, as long as Pac is with Arum, a Mayweather fight is out of question. Arum is fine milking Pac, and would rather have multiplel milk days than one big one
    and that....is the reason the fight never happened in the first place....amazing how many people avoided that reality and found ways to blame floyd

Boxscout
    Update your status

Well, yeah. In general, I think it's silly how much people think fighters on a similar level are scared of each other. All men think they could beat up tons of guys who would kick their asses in reality. Imagine the psychology of someone who actually could kick the ass of 99.999999% of the population. He's not going to actually be scared of some guy who might be marginally better than him.

I don't really have any way of knowing, but I suspect the fight could happen in the future if one or both of them firmly decide that they want to retire and cash out and there is still massive, massive amounts of money to be made from it.

Rubber Guard

Quote Originally Posted by bobby heenan View Post
    and that....is the reason the fight never happened in the first place....amazing how many people avoided that reality and found ways to blame floyd
    I agree to an extent. But people found ways to blame Floyd because his demands were ridiculous and changed like the seasons.

Rubber Guard

Well, yeah. In general, I think it's silly how much people think fighters on a similar level are scared of each other. All men think they could beat up tons of guys who would kick their asses in reality. Imagine the psychology of someone who actually could kick the ass of 99.999999% of the population. He's not going to actually be scared of some guy who might be marginally better than him.
    No one thinks these boxers are literally afraid of any other boxers. But in Floyd's case he surely is deathly afraid to lose. And for decent reason. If he isn't able to jam the fact that he doesn't have a loss down people's throats...he won't get as many buys. He is brilliant in the ring for his style of boxing. But a defensive fighter who doesn't exactly look for the kill wouldn't sell nearly as much if he/they have a loss or losses. He is a hell of a promoter though and would still sell more than anyone still, but he wouldn't get as much. And we all know a few more bucks is worth a lot more to Floyd than anything else.

Some elite fighters are not afraid to lose, even if it would damage some of their draw. That is where the "afraid" word comes from. Mayweather is clearly more afraid than anyone else to lose. But then again he has the most to "lose" even though he should have been set for life 100x over, money wise..

Boxscout
    Update your status

Among intelligent people, this is generally true. And I agree with most of what you're saying. Good example is Quillen candidly saying a GGG fight doesn't make sense now. However, from what I can gather, a lot of people on twitter, forums, etc. think these guys are actually afraid that certain guys will beat them up.

Similarly, people are like, "I HATE David Haye. I hope Vitali takes the fight and kicks his ass!" Not understanding that, while Haye would obviously want to win, he'd still be fine taking a gigantic pay day and losing.

hougigo

Among intelligent people, this is generally true. And I agree with most of what you're saying. Good example is Quillen candidly saying a GGG fight doesn't make sense now. However, from what I can gather, a lot of people on twitter, forums, etc. think these guys are actually afraid that certain guys will beat them up.

Similarly, people are like, "I HATE David Haye. I hope Vitali takes the fight and kicks his ass!" Not understanding that, while Haye would obviously want to win, he'd still be fine taking a gigantic pay day and losing.
    Just flat out say it's promotional deals or you don't want to fight him.
    Money doesn't make sense? He made more money than you in both of your last fights
    Build his name?
    He's headlined 2 shows with one more to come while you're on undercards.

Maybe he's not afraid, but the excuses why are stupid.

Sato
    Sato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 72

Definitely a Pac guy here but Floyd is the better boxer. There was a time where nobody knew who the better guy is. But the Bradley loss, even though a mafia decision, was the start of the end.

Floyd and Pac are both deterioratingso im not sure if Floyd/Pac matchup ultimately makes sense anymore.
    Floyds just a businessman...he shits on his legacy.

Rios is the perfect comeback fight...the guy doesnt move...Pac will just move around him and light him up. Towel by the 8th round...

The Problem
    The Problem's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 468

Manny at 5.50 on points. Worth a play. Thoughts?

Grabaka
    Update your status
    Grabaka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4034

LOL I never saw that he was sponsored by Tacos El Califas. LOL
    Thats a small place i wonder if they are cleaning money. lol Good tacos tho.

hougigo

Quote Originally Posted by The Problem View Post
    Manny at 5.50 on points. Worth a play. Thoughts?
    IMO... way to risky.
    Rios is so damn open and he's the type of fighter that gives Pac and his fans wet dreams.
    Pac was getting it in on Marquez and Rios loves to get hit.
    That KO may have worried people, but if Pac fights remotely the same as he did before.... then he TKO's him in the late rounds.
    That's just my thoughts though... Pac hasn't looked so good lately because of the style's he's been fighting. Clottey was the last of it because he didn't move... Pac doesn't like movers.
    Rios was born with cement boots

The Problem
    The Problem's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 468

IMO... way to risky.
    Rios is so damn open and he's the type of fighter that gives Pac and his fans wet dreams.
    Pac was getting it in on Marquez and Rios loves to get hit.
    That KO may have worried people, but if Pac fights remotely the same as he did before.... then he TKO's him in the late rounds.
    That's just my thoughts though... Pac hasn't looked so good lately because of the style's he's been fighting. Clottey was the last of it because he didn't move... Pac doesn't like movers.
    Rios was born with cement boots
    True.
    Born with also a great chin though. Stuck in there after taking some decent shots from Alvarado. For that kind of value I still think its worth a small hit.

bobby heenan
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber Guard View Post
    I agree to an extent. But people found ways to blame Floyd because his demands were ridiculous and changed like the seasons.
    im not trying to be a dick here..im really not...but floyd made an easy and simple demand.....and when he did manny had every excuse in the book..."needles hurt and weaken me"...."if i have blood drawn it weakens me"..."why should i give into floyds demands"......but in 2013 after coming off of 2 losses.....hes saying "i think testing is good for boxing who knows what someone might be up to"....i mean cmon.......floyd didnt make a demand he wasnt up for....he didnt demand only manny take testing.....after that whole thing he fought shane mosley with the same testing he demanded....he was sparring and said "i just got blood drawn...i just sparred 12 rounds i feel great".........time has revealed who the real fraud in that whole situation was....and i knew it would...it was always pac looking for new cutoff dates on testing....whatever...the cream always rises.....people rarely talk about pac anymore...one of my fave fighters put him to sleep....and hes openly said he doesnt want a mayweather rematch...something you never heard him say about pac(i dont care what you might say about 'styles make fights') ..you wont see him on jimmy kimmel anymore
    Last edited by bobby heenan; 06-03-13 at 12:53 AM.

MD
    MD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 254

im not trying to be a dick here..im really not...but floyd made an easy and simple demand.....and when he did manny had every excuse in the book..."needles hurt and weaken me"...."if i have blood drawn it weakens me"..."why should i give into floyds demands"......but in 2013 after coming off of 2 losses.....hes saying "i think testing is good for boxing who knows what someone might be up to"....i mean cmon.......floyd didnt make a demand he wasnt up for....he didnt demand onl y manny take testing.....after that whole thing he fought shane mosley with the same testing he demanded....he was sparring and said "i just got blood drawn...i just sparred 12 rounds i feel great".........time has revealed who the real fraud in that whole situation was....and i knew it would...it was always pac looking for new cutoff dates on testing....whatever...the cream always rises.....people rarely talk about pac anymore...one of my fave fighters put him to sleep....and hes openly said he doesnt want a mayweather rematch...something you never heard him say about pac(i dont care what you might say about 'styles make fights') ..you wont see him on jimmy kimmel anymore
    Biggest fanboy on SBR.

Crassus
    Crassus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1058

you wont see him on jimmy kimmel anymore
    Bet you 50 payments of 2 betpoints that he will. He's still the second biggest name in boxing by far.

MD

Quote Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
    Bet you 50 payments of 2 betpoints that he will. He's still the second biggest name in boxing by far.
    I think it's pretty obvious to any knowledgeable boxing observer that Floyd Mayweather occupies both of the top two spots because of how great he is. In terms of biggest names in boxing, the list looks something like this:

1. Floyd Mayweather
    2. Money Mayweather
    3. Pretty Boy Floyd
    4. Floyd "Money" Mayweather
    5. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
    6. Money Mayweather Jr.
    7. Flowayd Maywetha
    8. Pretty Girl Floyd
    9. da real nigguh mayweatha
    10. Manny Pacquiao

Points Awarded:

Crassus gave MD 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

bobby heenan
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Biggest fanboy on SBR.
    why because i responded to someone claiming floyd made "ridiculous demands" when he really didnt??? okkkk.....

whatever...good for pac....he can still go on jimmy kimmel after fighting a mini margarito who is slow and stands right in front of him....and look like a world beater again....hooray...good for him.....nothing against the guy...but jesus...to say floyd made a ridiculous demand? then why has pac recently said "testing is good for boxing you never know what someone is doing"....4 years after making excuse after excuse as to why he wouldnt take some simple extra tests

iQon
    iQon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 123

You can't change your stance on an issue in 4 years? Floyd did in a little over 12 months.

I think Miguel Cotto is a hell of a fighter, a strong solid 154-pounder. Pacquiao was trying to fight him at 147. I would never want to put a fighter in a position where he's not comfortable. I want a guy when he's at his best. If he's at his best at 154 and he's strong and he's solid, then that's the fight we're fighting at. I walk around at 150, but the end of the day - skills pays the bills.

[Oscar] De La Hoya - Pacquiao fights him at a catch-weight. Cotto - he fights him at a catch-weight. When I fought De La Hoya, I said 'give him to me at 154.' With Cotto – ‘give him to me at 154.’ Give me the guys where they are comfortable at their weight so there are no excuses.
    -Floyd Mayweather, February 2012
    http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweathe...ao-more--49151

Chepo claims that Mayweather wants the fight to take place at the welterweight limit of 147-pounds. Canelo wants to fight at the junior middleweight limit. Chepo says there is "0" chance of the bout take place at 147. They did propose the idea of having a catch-weight, which Mayweather rejected.

"Floyd wants every advantage on his side. Among one of the things that is often being stressed is that he wants Canelo at a lower weight. Why would I make my boy sacrifice so much? We proposed an intermediate weight for things to be level for both [fighters], but he refused.
    -Jose Reyneso, a few weeks before both sides agreed
    http://www.boxingscene.com/canelos-t...-weight--65430

Floyd just wanted Canelo at a weight where he was comfortable! Everyone knows that's at 147.

bobby heenan
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by iQon View Post

You can't change your stance on an issue in 4 years? Floyd did in a little over 12 months.

-Floyd Mayweather, February 2012
    http://www.boxingscene.com/mayweathe...ao-more--49151

-Jose Reyneso, a few weeks before both sides agreed
    http://www.boxingscene.com/canelos-t...-weight--65430

Floyd just wanted Canelo at a weight where he was comfortable! Everyone knows that's at 147.
    so if a guy is allowed to change his stance over the course of 4 years....then whats the point of going into a floyd/canelo thread and bringing up manny and calling floyd a hypocrite when hes giving you the best fight you want to see......floyd had other options believe it or not.....he didnt have to give canelo this fight...it was canelo who suggested 152 to get it done rather than having to come completely to floyd....floyd has already fought two legit 154 lb champions and beaten them....manny pac on the otherhand claims a world title there yet for a vacant title against an undeserving opponent.....basically floyd is giving you the best fight that can be possibly made and yer in the other thread about it calling floyd a hypocrite and all this crap....just accept he got the fight done easily and its the one everyone wants.....he tried getting another fight done everyone wanted to see and the other party wanted no part of it....but i guess for good reason.....sure you can change your stance on an issue....but it looks bad when you change your stance on an issue that caused a megafight to fall through....and your fans claimed the other guy was scared and "chicken".....pac walked away from that fight because of an "issue"....and now he thinks the sport needs it......it wont be long before manny is begging floyd to get his ass whipped

MD

so if a guy is allowed to change his stance over the course of 4 years....then whats the point of going into a floyd/canelo thread and bringing up manny and calling floyd a hypocrite when hes giving you the best fight you want to see......floyd had other options believe it or not.....he didnt have to give canelo this fight...it was canelo who suggested 152 to get it done rather than having to come completely to floyd....floyd has already fought two legit 154 lb champions and beaten them....manny pac on the otherhand claims a world title there yet for a vacant title against an undeserving opponent.....basically floyd is giving you the best fight that can be possibly made and yer in the other thread about it calling floyd a hypocrite and all this crap....just accept he got the fight done easily and its the one everyone wants.....he tried getting another fight done everyone wanted to see and the other party wanted no part of it....but i guess for good reason.....sure you can change your stance on an issue....but it looks bad when you change your stance on an issue that caused a megafight to fall through....and your fans claimed the other guy was scared and "chicken".....pac walked away from that fight because of an "issue"....and now he thinks the sport needs it......it wont be long before manny is begging floyd to get his ass whipped
    Castillo should have won the decision against Mayweather in their first fight.

bobby heenan
    Update your status

Castillo should have won the decision against Mayweather in their first fight.
    haha cool.....

MD

haha cool.....
    I thought it was pretty cool, too. He was clearly the better boxer.

bobby heenan
    Update your status

I thought it was pretty cool, too. He was clearly the better boxer.
    or was castillo fighting a guy with an injured shoulder? cause i think floyd gave him an immediate rematch and compuboxed the shit out of him

12 Last