Wrecked
    Dreamin the live
    Wrecked's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246

Thoughts on Gomi V Diaz?

I think Gomi can take the win here, I wanted to see what you guys thought about this match up.
    I think Nate Diaz is a terrible fighter, and Gomi might be able to pull off a win against him....
    Thoughts?

Chong Wizard
    Chong Wizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

I wouldn't say Nate Diaz is a horrible fighter. He is pretty well rounded and has a tough chin. Just because Rory McDonald threw him around like a rag doll doesn't mean he's that bad. It just means Rory is that good.

Gomi has knock out power but Nate has never been knocked out.

I think this one will most likely go the distance. Nate's reach could be a factor but it's a tough match to breakdown in my opinion.

You never know what Gomi is gonna show up.

Chong Wizard
    Chong Wizard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

I'm also thinking that Nate could possibly submit Gomi... otherwise I see it going the distance...

Wrecked
    Dreamin the live

Quote Originally Posted by Chong Wizard View Post
    I wouldn't say Nate Diaz is a horrible fighter. He is pretty well rounded and has a tough chin. Just because Rory McDonald threw him around like a rag doll doesn't mean he's that bad. It just means Rory is that good.

Gomi has knock out power but Nate has never been knocked out.

I think this one will most likely go the distance. Nate's reach could be a factor but it's a tough match to breakdown in my opinion.

You never know what Gomi is gonna show up.
    Yeah, Rory's last performance definitely proved that he is that good.
    I think Gomi has better boxing than Diaz (knock on wood), and he may be able to knock him out, or pick apart his defense.
    I don't know, the way the odds are for this fight it wouldn't hurt to make a small play on Gomi in my opinion!

kmdubya
    kmdubya's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1306

I think Diaz has the striking advantage for the most part. He really frustrates people with his "punches in bunches". They're not powerful by any means, but keeps fighters at bay.

I think Gomi's UFC win was a little overblown. He looked pretty average against Ken Flo and Guida. I think if Diaz follows Ken Flo's approach, Diaz should be fine.

Wrecked
    Dreamin the live

Quote Originally Posted by kmdubya View Post
    I think Diaz has the striking advantage for the most part. He really frustrates people with his "punches in bunches". They're not powerful by any means, but keeps fighters at bay.

I think Gomi's UFC win was a little overblown. He looked pretty average against Ken Flo and Guida. I think if Diaz follows Ken Flo's approach, Diaz should be fine.
    Eh, I think the line should be closer to evens, I'll probably play something small on Gomi!
    But you're right, Gomi did look pretty average, but I think he'll be coming to fight against Diaz.

kmdubya
    kmdubya's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1306

Quote Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
    Eh, I think the line should be closer to evens, I'll probably play something small on Gomi!
    But you're right, Gomi did look pretty average, but I think he'll be coming to fight against Diaz.
    The lines opened fairly close. Hopefully come fight night they come back.

bjpenn85
    bjpenn85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16650

wrecked, youre off track here again, like you were on akiyama. gomi can win, no doubt about it, but he has one chance, and it is KO in the first round, after that the advantage is diaz. Gomi was pressured and had no answers to ken fllos pressure, and that was......standing. i think diaz is quite good standing, he beat marcus davis standing, and he ..pretty much beats most fighters excepts rory. Morally diaz is 4-1 in his last five. that isnt bad. kim didnt do a shit, while maynard got an unwarranted decision. diaz is a jerk yes, but he is not a horrible fighter.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.
    Vaughany's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8647

Diaz is not a terrible fighter. He's pushed Maynard harder than most, completely dominated Marcus Davis - no doubt some will say that Marcus Davis is past it but he was beating Jeremy Stephens before the late KO and won two fights since being cut. Guys he struggles with are those that are bigger, stronger and who have solid top-control such as Guida, Dong and Rory. This fight with Gomi is back at LW so he isn't going to be at the strength disadvantage that he was against Macdonald and Stungun. We saw how Gomi struggled with Florian's jab and how he struggled with Guida's unorthodox movement and striking, so a fight with a Diaz who throws punches in bunches, has a 6 inch reach advantage and a solid chin does not bode well for him!

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Last guy to beat Guillard as well

Chairib
    Chairib's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Do you think Nate Diaz is as terrible as Chris Lytle?

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1896

Diaz 76 inch reach vs Gomi 70 inch reach.

I expect a fist fight from this. I say the edge goes to Diaz.

Kaladarus
    Kaladarus's Avatar Become A Pro!

I pretty much agree with what most people have said. I think Diaz wins this fight fairly easily. Gomi is very unlikely to finish Diaz. At the current line though Diaz is a small play at best. Maybe some props may change that. Also don't get your hopes up on line movement as it is unlikely the Diaz line will move down much.

Squareguy
    Squareguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 674

I hope there is a good line on Diaz. Gomi is a good fighter...but I don't see him getting the KO...and he CERTAINLY isn't going to be capable of throwing Diaz around.

FlashinLeather
    FlashinLeather's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

I don't see gomi coming away with a decision against diaz, and with that in mind i don't see him finishing diaz either. This should be diaz all the way.

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Squareguy View Post
    I hope there is a good line on Diaz. Gomi is a good fighter...but I don't see him getting the KO...and he CERTAINLY isn't going to be capable of throwing Diaz around.
    What do you mean? The line is already out for Diaz?!

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

nick diaz` fight with gomi was a war...might be thee most entertaining mma fight i`ve ever seen...i recorded it and go back and watch it every so often.....absolutely brutal back and forth action.........and his fight with bj penn was also a war..the prime gomi could hang with anyone...he was an elite fighter in his prime.......even though he was always a bit one dimensional(not totally,but predominantly a striker)

but that was the prime gomi......this version of gomi?...well,not quite so prime...

looks from here like this is diaz` fight to win......guys like diaz(with fantastic whiskers) are very tough match-ups for gomi who has always depeneded on his striking...the length and multi-faceted skillset of diaz makes this a difficult task for gomi....

was always a big gomi fan....i was hoping for a more favorable match-up...somehow,i get the feeling that dana likes embarrassing the old pride stars and matches them unflatteringly to prove a point(florian/guida).....which is ashamed...because matched correctly,gomi fights with guys like stephens/siver/pearson etc would be guaranteed to have real fotn potential....i really believe that dana thought that tyson griffin was a bad stylistic match-up for gomi.....but that backfired...griffin`s chin was do-able...

dana`s wasting a prime opportunity to showcase a guy who has a pretty strong carryover fanbase from his old pride days...

just another reason why i dislike this vindictive p-ick....

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

Love your ongoing Dana White vendetta Rocky

rocky mattioli
    rocky mattioli's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5100

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughany View Post
    Love your ongoing Dana White vendetta Rocky

....i was just imagining gomi in with siver/stephens or pearson....he might get knocked out vs all three...but,talk about the potential for mayhem between these high level strikers?....not just mayhem.....technical striking at it`s highest level.....would have been a thing to behold.....

instead he gets matched with wrestlers or real difficult styles like florian right off the bat......plenty of time to throw the guy to the wolves...

build a little momentum...match him smartly....theres actually very little interest in gomi now...not smart,imo....particularly when you`re trying to expand and need more diverse ethnic draws to enhance your product internationally.....

his ufc career could have been handled more smartly...it is a business,first and foremost...

of course.this is just another swinging dick`s opinion....

Vaughany
    Jibbbeh is my idol.

ha no your right, a fight with Stephens or Siver would be more suitable. Should still be entertaining against Diaz though

Ladle
    Ladle's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like Gomi at the current odds. I've been singing the praises of Nate Diaz's jiu-jitsu for a long time, but the dude really needs to sharpen up his boxing. His footwork absolutely stinks, and he needs to stop standing perfectly still and throwing slapping punches to the forehead while guys rush him. Could get him lamped against someone with big time power like Gomi.
    Last edited by Ladle; 08-30-11 at 09:49 AM.

Wrecked
    Dreamin the live

Quote Originally Posted by Chairib View Post
    Do you think Nate Diaz is as terrible as Chris Lytle?
    Didn't you say

"Dan Hardy vs Chris Lytle

I see Hardy by decision."

Give me a break.