moguler
    moguler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8093

In MLB, do you guys rarely bunt?

I am a Korean baseball fan, and I bet on MLB regularly.
    Watching MLB games, one question comes up.
    I know it really depends on the situation, but do they rarely bunt in MLB?
    At the bottom of the seventh, and you trail only one run when there are men on the first and second with the "not-so-good" batter at bat, how about bunting?
    Again it depends, but I'm asking about this general tendency of the league.
    In Korean Baseball Organization, I think 90% of the managers would bunt the batter in above situation. Thanks.

pittmatt80
    pittmatt80's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

Typically it seems like MLB Managers tend to just let them bat instead of making the smart play and bunting. Really not sure why you wouldn't that's the best thing to do in that situation so you can move the runners and a sac fly scores a run.

moguler
    moguler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8093

Thanks for the reply, pittmatt80. I don't mean to generalize it, but i can say that managers are more likely to intervene in game situations here in Korea.
    God, it's now 6-3. My winning streak ends at 6. GL.

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

In the situation you described, most NL managers would instruct the batter to bunt.

mebaran
    Con los terroristas
    mebaran's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 330

Yeah, make the distinction between American League and National League. For some reason, AL managers tend to not use the bunt as much and I never understood this. I know there is a DH, but it doesn't matter...a bunt is still logical.

Of course it depends on the situation, as there are some guys who just cannot bunt at all (even position players), but if I'm a manager in EITHER league in the situation you described, I'm calling for a bunt. Early in a game in the same situation, all managers are willing to "roll the dice" in the hopes of a big inning, but then again, I've seen it happen then too, especially against an ace pitcher.

I remember in football when we were in the huddle about to punt, our coach told the play caller to say "Punt, the most important play in football. Punt, the most important play in football...ready, BREAK!". I think it's akin to the bunt in baseball since it's one of the only offensive things you can do with such a high degree of success/control.

Cross
    Cross's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9281

Most def a national league thing to bunt more, American League has much less strategizing, they don't even need managers!