cleaveland
    cleaveland's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1358

How do you handicap the second half of a game before the game starts?

In baseball you can handicap how the starting pitchers tend to do in the later innings and the bullpens and how teams tend to do in the later innings of games. I understand that but I think it's too much of a crap shoot to cap because you never know if the starting pitchers will be around in the second half (it depends on pitch count and whether they're having a good game). Then, the pitchers that are used in the second half usually depend on the score. If a team is down 5 runs in the sixth you're almost definitely gonna get one of their weaker relievers but if it's a close game they'll send in one of their better relievers. I see too many variables in baseball to cap the second half of a game before the game starts.

As for basketball and football, the problem is similar. The result of the second half often depends on the result of the first half. For example, if a team is blowing out another team at halftime that usually means there will be significant garbage time with scrubs in the second half but there's usually no way to predict that before the game starts. There's all kinds of problems like that with handicapping the second half of these games before the game starts imho.

So, how do you handicap the second half of a game before the game starts?

DrStale
    DrStale's Avatar Become A Pro!

If the team has played a lot recently and traveled a lot they may grow tired in the second half
    Some teams are just better starters than finishers or vice-versa

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by DrStale View Post
    If the team has played a lot recently and traveled a lot they may grow tired in the second half
    Some teams are just better starters than finishers or vice-versa
    If it was that easy to win:

1. The books wouldn't get even action imho.

2. The books couldn't offer the bets because everyone would just take the teams that are better in the second half and win.
    Last edited by cleaveland; 07-29-11 at 05:23 PM.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

You dont know what the spot will be but sometimes still value, last year you could bet the Padres and under every 2nd half before the game(especially Padres) and you would be rich. but this year the lineup is weaker and the their strong bullpen is given more credit in the lines.

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    You dont know what the spot will be but sometimes still value, last year you could bet the Padres and under every 2nd half before the game(especially Padres) and you would be rich. but this year the lineup is weaker and the their strong bullpen is given more credit in the lines.
    That's interesting, thanks. How about the other sports?

iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

The better question is....

How do you know whats going to happen for the whole game if you don't know whats going to happen in the second half????

Projecting the second half of baseball games is where you find your value... everyone knows Barry Zito sucks.. if you can narrow down who will follow him, well.. now you are on to something..

cleaveland

Quote Originally Posted by iifold View Post
    The better question is....

How do you know whats going to happen for the whole game if you don't know whats going to happen in the second half????

Projecting the second half of baseball games is where you find your value... everyone knows Barry Zito sucks.. if you can narrow down who will follow him, well.. now you are on to something..
    OK, can you choose any game on today's card and predict what will happen in the second half? I'd give you 100 points if you could come close. I'm not a pro but is there a way I can get the points to you?

BTW, just predicting what will happen isn't enough for the points you have to include your reasoning for your predictions as well.
    Last edited by cleaveland; 07-29-11 at 05:37 PM.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

iisuck couldnt predict the second half of a globetrotters - generals match.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: LostBankroll