broadway6
    on to the next one
    broadway6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1338

supposedly cards turn down...

The Rays seem to be considering selling off their valuable pieces. They'd have to be blown away to trade starting pitcher James Shields, but it appears fellow starter Jeff Niemann could go. He was offered to the Cardinals along with reliever J.P. Howell for outfielder Colby Rasmus before the Cardinals traded Rasmus to the Blue Jays, as Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported (St. Louis countered by requesting either Shields or young starter Jeremy Hellickson). The Rays also may consider trading reliever Kyle Farnsworth, first baseman Casey Kotchman and DH Johnny Damon.

Please God tell me this isn't true. We picked Jackson over a much younger and more talented Niemann. I miss Walt Jockety.

BigDan
    BigDan's Avatar Become A Pro!

deal they took much better for right now. We have couple good young arms in the minors who will be ready next yr and year after, plus Wainwright coming back. pitching staff isnt gonna be a problem next several years on this team.

cappinthepigs
    cappinthepigs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 67

Who cares about the rays!

thompsontw
    Update your status
    thompsontw's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1653

I think they have a shot if they keep it together
    But looking at the RedSox I understand if they shut it down and sell it off

Love The Action
    Love The Action's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3454

The OP was really talking about the Cards guys, not the Rays.

Interesting info...I tend to agree with BigDan on this one. Jackson is in his prime, while Niemann is still developing. Jackson has solid advanced stats that show he has been a victim of the White Sox's poor defense. He needs to get his WHIP down about .2 points to the 1.2 range, which will cut down on his BAA...the Cards, and more specifically Dave Duncan, always seem to make these type of middle of the road guys into studs.

broadway6
    on to the next one

Niemann is 28 years old and a sub 4.00 era in the AL east. I think he would be just fine in the NL Central

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

Wow, that's a better deal than the one they took.

Niemann>> Edwin Jackson

Keep in mind that the AL East is the toughest division to pitch in, by far.

raiders32
    raiders32's Avatar Become A Pro!

Ha Ha Ha. Not being a Cardinals fan, I love seeing them get E Jackson.

BigDan

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    Wow, that's a better deal than the one they took.

Niemann>> Edwin Jackson

Keep in mind that the AL East is the toughest division to pitch in, by far.

not all about Jackson vs niemann it was about Jackson plus the lefty reliever Zip...we got more holes filled with this move and ive heard a lot of good things about this kid since the trade, actually one of my lawn care/landscaping accounts is a former long time mlb scout and he told me today that he thinks that kid could easily be the star of this deal in the next few years, supposedly this kid was highly regarded in a lot of circles....

i mean it whatever but i trust this guys opinion over most seeing how he was paid to do this for a long time.

broadway6
    on to the next one

Quote Originally Posted by BigDan View Post

not all about Jackson vs niemann it was about Jackson plus the lefty reliever Zip...we got more holes filled with this move and ive heard a lot of good things about this kid since the trade, actually one of my lawn care/landscaping accounts is a former long time mlb scout and he told me today that he thinks that kid could easily be the star of this deal in the next few years, supposedly this kid was highly regarded in a lot of circles....

i hope he's right... i'm going to stop posting about this trade

BigDan

wouldn't be the first time Cards ended up with a Jays pitcher who turned out great

yisman
    yisman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 246162

^ Yeah Carpenter.

BigDan, you said the deal is about now and the Cards have enough arms for the future.

Right now, Niemann is better than Jackson, plus he's a lot cheaper. He won't be eligible for free agency until when Rasmus is.

BigDan

Quote Originally Posted by broadway6 View Post
    i hope he's right... i'm going to stop posting about this trade

from what i saw last night (1st time ive ever saw him) and the interviews i heard him do today i have a hard time finding a reason to think otherwise. he obviously has very good stuff and seems to have a good head on him. But i agree im sick of talking/arguing about it as no matter what anyone says no one really knows who/if anyone won on this deal and wont for some time. Hopefully they get Colby on juice in Tor and he learns to act right and hopefully Jackson learns from Duncan and Zipper turns out to be something special, then everyone wins.

BigDan

Quote Originally Posted by yisman View Post
    ^ Yeah Carpenter.

BigDan, you said the deal is about now and the Cards have enough arms for the future.

Right now, Niemann is better than Jackson, plus he's a lot cheaper. He won't be eligible for free agency until when Rasmus is.

yes i did, but from the jump ive been asking about that lefty as we had to have 1 and no one told me much, talked to someone today and read some other things that make me think Zip had a lot to do with stl taking this deal. He is also young, under contract, helps in the pen now, and maybe even more in the future.

broadway6
    on to the next one

if he gives up 8 to the cubs tonight, i will be bashing

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

I've been a huge Cardinals fan all of my life and I don't have much of a problem with this trade.

I've heard that there have been problems in the locker room with Rasmus. If that's the case, he has to go. Likewise, the Cardinals addressed some serious needs in the trade. We got a decent starting pitcher and boosted our bullpen a little bit.

Personally, I've also thought Rasmus was a little overrated. He does have potential though.

HoulihansTX
    Bowl $ea$on
    HoulihansTX's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 295

Edwin Jackson has the looks of a boxer. Strong chin on him.